Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• jwols
    Options
    Hi i've recently had my student loan granted. I start my Primary Teaching course Sept 5th.
    I have sent the paperwork in for the Childcare Grant. My children are 1 and 3. my 3 year old is eligible for the 30 hours commencing September. However, I'm worried that i may lose that. My partner works full time and i will be studying full time. I was hoping to hear back if i am entitled to the childcare grant for my 1 year old and still recieve the 30 hours for my 3 year old. they will be in nursery full time so i will need to top it up as the grant and the 30hrs dont cover the cost. I was fine with that but i still dont know if i will get the grant and the 30hrs and if so i am starting to panic as it will be around £2000 a month.

please help!!
  • ClareWebb
    Options
    Hello! I am a graduate with 4 years of student loan (both tuition and maintenance on Plan 2 - approx total was about £50,000 before interest) to make repayments for. With the salary I started working on 2 years ago, I calculated that I will realistically not get close to paying off my entire loan plus interest before it gets wiped in 30 years. I am now about to start a PGCE course for 1 year and after that will hopefully be teaching in a school outside London. I understand that, if I take the postgraduate loan for my PGCE tuition fees, I will then be paying 15% (6% postgrad loan and 9% undergrad loan) back on income over £25,000. My question is - is it worth me taking a loan for the PGCE tuition fees if I could just about scrape by if I paid them out of the grant I will receive for doing the course? My starting salary will be £23-24k. I don't know whether to view it in the same light as my undergrad loan (which I see as more of a tax for the next 30 odd years) or whether I should take the loan and try and pay the postgrad part of it back as quickly as possible to avoid paying drastically more than I borrow in the first place? Thank you in advance!
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ClareWebb wrote: »
    Hello! I am a graduate with 4 years of student loan (both tuition and maintenance on Plan 2 - approx total was about £50,000 before interest) to make repayments for. With the salary I started working on 2 years ago, I calculated that I will realistically not get close to paying off my entire loan plus interest before it gets wiped in 30 years. I am now about to start a PGCE course for 1 year and after that will hopefully be teaching in a school outside London. I understand that, if I take the postgraduate loan for my PGCE tuition fees, I will then be paying 15% (6% postgrad loan and 9% undergrad loan) back on income over £25,000. My question is - is it worth me taking a loan for the PGCE tuition fees if I could just about scrape by if I paid them out of the grant I will receive for doing the course? My starting salary will be £23-24k. I don't know whether to view it in the same light as my undergrad loan (which I see as more of a tax for the next 30 odd years) or whether I should take the loan and try and pay the postgrad part of it back as quickly as possible to avoid paying drastically more than I borrow in the first place? Thank you in advance!

The PGCE loans are not postgraduate loans - they're plan 2 loans.

Postgraduate loans are for postgrad masters and doctorate courses.
  • DeanRogers
    Options
    Our son starts uni in the eurozone shortly & we'll need to transfer money regularly. We don't want to get stung with fees. Any recommendations from people who've been where we are?
  • Hannahie
    Options
    Hey I was wondering if you could advise.
    I was surprised to be told over the phone today that I was not eligible for student finance as I had worked abroad for 8 months within the last three years. The reason I rang was I had received a letter with incorrect details asking for proof I was abroad on a temporary contract and I always intended to return to the UK.
    I confused why ask for evidence if I was going to be denied anyway. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hannahie wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering if you could advise.
    I was surprised to be told over the phone today that I was not eligible for student finance as I had worked abroad for 8 months within the last three years. The reason I rang was I had received a letter with incorrect details asking for proof I was abroad on a temporary contract and I always intended to return to the UK.
    I confused why ask for evidence if I was going to be denied anyway. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Not much help, you don't qualify if you haven't been resident for 3 years. They check to ensure they've got their facts right.
  • Candicewalker
    Options
    Hi. I have paid more than the 9% back to SLC due to varied monthly wages. Can I claim this back as an overpayment?
  • Candicewalker
    Options
    Forgot to mention....I mean over the last tax year 2017/2018
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi. I have paid more than the 9% back to SLC due to varied monthly wages. Can I claim this back as an overpayment?

No - if your total earnings for the year were over the threshold.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback