PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jennhg88 wrote: »
    Our land registry issue is resolved! :T

The other land registry issue at the bottom of the chain is nearly resolved too, it's just with their solicitors now to finalise.

Just this pointless stupid survey on the property at the bottom of the chain to get through, then we might finally be able to exchange!?
    Aiming for completion date of 22nd. :eek:

Twiddling thumbs twiddling thumbs
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TamsinC wrote: »
    So FINALLY managed to get her to accept a completion date from us to talk about with the vendors solicitors,

Why aren't you discussing this through the EA? Not the solicitors that set the date, but the parties in the chain. Exchange needs to effected first as well. Setting a target date is all well and good. However needs to fit in with everyone elses plans.
  • FTBNow
    FTBNow Posts: 146 Forumite
    Looks like we're exchanging this Friday and completing next Friday. Woohoo! Considering we had our bid accepted 16th April and mortgage approved 24th May, this has been a long time coming.
  • I'm getting increasingly frustrated and depressed with the lack of progress on my purchase.

We are in rented, cash buyers, and had an offer accepted on a Probate property in mid May 2018.

My solicitor is still waiting on the draft contract from the vendors' solicitor, even though they have requested it several times.

The estate agent is working his socks off to get answers as to why there is a hold-up but keeps getting fobbed-off.

After 13 weeks, I'm wondering whether to draw a deadline just for my own sanity. Trouble is, the house is the house of my dreams but my partner is quite ill and needs to move ASAP to a more suitable house (which the dream home is).

Wish we knew how long a piece of string actually is!
  • KingMob
    KingMob Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm sure people are sick of me posting about my woes but appreciate any opinions on this.

Completion scheduled for 15th, exchange same day. Requested earlier exchange but been told my solicitor only does same day. As if currently stands I have exceptionally little faith in my solicitor.

Was told at start of month responses to enquiries had been received but was emailed on Monday to be told they haven't and that my solicitor would not be sending out the offer until they have. Have been talking to vendor and his estate agent who have both been solid and they provided the information weeks ago. They are not aware of any holdup.

Been respectful and have left no more than one voicemail or a day but not getting responses. Solicitor uses an online tracking system which is 100% useless. Over last 2 weeks it's been updated to say 4 individual letters and an SMS have sent to me, received nothing. Queried this in past and was told was a system error, queried again on Tuesday with no response.

Solicitor is part of a large chain and in a nearby town (around 10 miles away), will organize to take a day off to go stand on doorstep but what is a realistic expectation for when I could exchange/complete. Vendor is keen to exchange, I'm FTB they are chain free and have moved already. Unfortunately I haven't even received my solicitor bank details, so haven't transferred deposit yet.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    KingMob wrote: »
    I'm sure people are sick of me posting about my woes but appreciate any opinions on this.

Completion scheduled for 15th, exchange same day. Requested earlier exchange but been told my solicitor only does same day. As if currently stands I have exceptionally little faith in my solicitor.

Was told at start of month responses to enquiries had been received but was emailed on Monday to be told they haven't and that my solicitor would not be sending out the offer until they have. Have been talking to vendor and his estate agent who have both been solid and they provided the information weeks ago. They are not aware of any holdup.

Been respectful and have left no more than one voicemail or a day but not getting responses. Solicitor uses an online tracking system which is 100% useless. Over last 2 weeks it's been updated to say 4 individual letters and an SMS have sent to me, received nothing. Queried this in past and was told was a system error, queried again on Tuesday with no response.

Solicitor is part of a large chain and in a nearby town (around 10 miles away), will organize to take a day off to go stand on doorstep but what is a realistic expectation for when I could exchange/complete. Vendor is keen to exchange, I'm FTB they are chain free and have moved already. Unfortunately I haven't even received my solicitor bank details, so haven't transferred deposit yet.

What on earth?! I don't think they can insist on that. Not so much risk if FTB and no chain but imagine if you had a long chain and were expected to exchange and complete on the same day :eek:
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Why aren't you discussing this through the EA? Not the solicitors that set the date, but the parties in the chain. Exchange needs to effected first as well. Setting a target date is all well and good. However needs to fit in with everyone elses plans.
    I have been - and this is what we all agreed - but getting the solicitors to talk to us about it was hell on earth.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TamsinC wrote: »
    I have been - and this is what we all agreed - but getting the solicitors to talk to us about it was hell on earth.

Solicitors aren't going to guarantee dates. For the simple fact that they are unable too. With property transactions they are often last late hiccups. Better to let them get on with their job than waste time which could be spent more productively.
  • sondy
    sondy Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:56AM
    We're also waiting to exchange. Part exing on our newbuild - hoping for some news today as the new house is due for completion tomorrow! Our timeline:

23rd June: Reserved newbuild and appointed solicitors. Paid for searches
    27th June: Mortgage Approved
    28th June: House approved for Part Exchange
    29th June: House viewing - offer made and accepted.
    5th July: Our solicitor sent enquiries.
    26th July: Searches back
    1st August: Chased enquiries
    2nd August: Draft Contract Pack through - lots of mistakes made by our solicitors - pinged it back.
    7th August: Updated contract pack sent

Our 'deadline for exchange' to keep our current discount and incentives is tomorrow: 10th August. House is also due for completion then. We are hoping to be in by the 20th as we stupdly bought our sofa a little early and the last date they can deliver is the 21st. Fingers crossed we get some news today. Our solicitors are closed tomorrow for auditing.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Solicitors aren't going to guarantee dates. For the simple fact that they are unable too. With property transactions they are often last late hiccups. Better to let them get on with their job than waste time which could be spent more productively.
    I know that - I'm not asking them to guarantee the date - just to talk to us instead of completely ignoring our emails and calls and not moving forward with the work, and to have a date to work towards - I have been trying for 4 weeks to get them to even reply to an email. We are ready to go - searches, survey, queries etc all done, just waiting for them to send the contract so we can sign it so we can actually get to exchange. Our vendors are nearly ready to pull the plug if things don't move forward soon.

There is just us and the vendors - both chain free now
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family