PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• I've worked in a pharmacy and when the whole prescription can't be filled on the day it's delivered to the shop it's usually because most smaller pharmacies just can't hold the stock levels high enough to fill the demand from the NHS these days. Increasing population and increasing numbers of prescriptions have outrun the size of stock rooms in many shops. The owing slips are due to that rather than there being a lack of availability of medication. Most pharmacies deal with multiple pharmaceutical wholesalers and get deliveries several times a day but those deliveries fly off the shelves as they come in because there is always a backlog of owings.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Medical ethics would require your private GP to write to your current GP to let him know what he is doing. You run the risk of your NHS GP deciding that the private GP can be responsible for your care henceforth as you can't have two doctors at the same time

Much better to just ask your GP if they have formulated a policy next time you are in the surgery. They will either tell you, yes, they will issue prescriptions in time to tide you over or they will say they haven't yet. If they haven't yet got a policy in place they will either tell you they expect their local clinical care commissioning group(or whatever it's called these days) to issue guidance or you will prompt them to realise they need to get their ducks in a row which will benefit everyone else
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    There were medication shortages before Article 50 and was triggered. I waited 10 months for a vaccine.

I used a local pharmacy for my asthma inhalers. Picked one batch up. AstraZeneca, was the brand name but the dosage was different. I had a sticker over the dosage with the dosage I'm prescribed and at the bottom smaller part of the box the original dosage was a scribbled out . I went to the pharmacy to complain. I was assured all was above board because my inhaler came from the EU. I then took it to another local Pharmacy (who I now use) and they explained that what the other pharmacy does is import their stock from EU producers (this case Greece) avoid UK producers, make more profit because EU imports can work out cheaper but run in to problems with different countries labelling. The dosage of my inhaler was the same but the Greeks label it as minimum inhaled dose and the UK know it as maximum inhaled dose.

It is very unsettling to have a sticker/scribbling out altering the dosage of the inhaler you need for asthma and its even more unsettling that this practise is within acceptable rules in our country. This practise wasn't acceptable to me. I made the change, spoke with my feet and won't do business with, who I feel, are an unethical money grabbing business who conduct themselves in a less than professional manner.

Argue the heck out of my post. I don't actually care. The NHS is flawed and the EU is flawed. Not only do we have a system where we rely on EU for our own medications, it's ok to bypass UK pharmaceuticals to make more money out of the NHS prescription system. I'd actually like, given that this thread is now political anyway, to be educated why my viewpoint is wrong. While you're atop of your high horse telling me how wrong I am, think about how it feels to have a sticker covering up and scribbling out on a box of medication that essentially keeps you alive.
  • maryb wrote: »
    Medical ethics would require your private GP to write to your current GP to let him know what he is doing. You run the risk of your NHS GP deciding that the private GP can be responsible for your care henceforth as you can't have two doctors at the same time

Much better to just ask your GP if they have formulated a policy next time you are in the surgery. They will either tell you, yes, they will issue prescriptions in time to tide you over or they will say they haven't yet. If they haven't yet got a policy in place they will either tell you they expect their local clinical care commissioning group(or whatever it's called these days) to issue guidance or you will prompt them to realise they need to get their ducks in a row which will benefit everyone else

My GP won't issue prescriptions to tide me over. I have asked, as I said earlier if I ask for my regular prescription early because I am going on holiday he is reluctant to do it even if I am asking a week early. I think he feels if he issues the prescription it isn't his problem where I get the med from which is probably fair enough.

I'm hoping that when the govt issues advice this month it will include med, the problem is I don't feel great confidence in their planning skills.
  • I've worked in a pharmacy and when the whole prescription can't be filled on the day it's delivered to the shop it's usually because most smaller pharmacies just can't hold the stock levels high enough to fill the demand from the NHS these days. Increasing population and increasing numbers of prescriptions have outrun the size of stock rooms in many shops. The owing slips are due to that rather than there being a lack of availability of medication. Most pharmacies deal with multiple pharmaceutical wholesalers and get deliveries several times a day but those deliveries fly off the shelves as they come in because there is always a backlog of owings.

It has always happened, the difference is it used to be come back this afternoon or tomorrow when meds will be delivered. Recently it has been come back next week or we are trying to source it. At least this is my experience.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    It has always happened, the difference is it used to be come back this afternoon or tomorrow when meds will be delivered. Recently it has been come back next week or we are trying to source it. At least this is my experience.

Again, we've undoubtedly found ourselves relying on stocks from overseas, as per my post above.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fuddle.......you won't get any grief from me.

I think it is outrageous that suppliers milk the NHS. I also think the NHS could do a lot better with their purchasing systems but that's another argument.

I cannot understand the sheer stupidity and short sightedness of successive governments allowing the U.K. to become so dependent on importing something so crucial as medicines. It beggars belief.

Greed and profit before safety.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My GP won't issue prescriptions to tide me over. I have asked, as I said earlier if I ask for my regular prescription early because I am going on holiday he is reluctant to do it even if I am asking a week early. I think he feels if he issues the prescription it isn't his problem where I get the med from which is probably fair enough.

I'm hoping that when the govt issues advice this month it will include med, the problem is I don't feel great confidence in their planning skills.

That may well be the case in normal times but where is the harm in asking if he will do it to cover Brexit day? At the very least it will concentrate his mind
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • My very co-operative GP has actually given me a written prescription to cover any delay there may be in changing to a new practice in our new area. I asked on the suggestion that I'd like to be covered but won't use it if the medical records come through to the new surgery quickly enough, it usually takes a month or more, and they will issue a prescription for my normal meds without me having to have an appointment.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:50AM
    mattpaint wrote: »
    I have to say it's a really bizarre point that leavers keep making that remainers are causing issues with Brexit.

Where was the brilliant plan? The easiest negotiation in the history of negotiation? Where has it all gone?
    Hi

Whether posting as a 'remainer' or an 'accepting leaver' makes little difference, but there's definitely plenty of evidence to support the point made ...
    The more the argument & indecision raised & caused by those still haven't accepted that we'll be leaving the EU, the less opportunity for planning a route through the process prior to leaving is available ... Brexit could have been a relatively straightforward process if the ideology & emotions of those in denial (within the UK & EU) hadn't got (/weren't still getting) in the way ..
    ... there are plenty within the Eurocracy, the UK political system, the UK public sector & various lobbing groups that have been stirring up a storm and playing any delay card they can in hope of raising anxiety levels as deadlines approach in the belief that everyone will panic and surrender to their particular viewpoint ... of course, if much that could easily be agreed had already been agreed, then their argument would be so much more difficult ... that's the reason why everything is made to look difficult!

The rate of progress for negotiations & the level of difficulties involved is dictated by those that agree least with what's being negotiated ... if there's a deadline then it's pretty normal for little to happen until it approaches as it suits the side that accept the process the least ... in the case of Brexit that'd be the EU, those with vested interests & those still in denial ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure