PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• 123kl
    123kl Posts: 4 Newbie
    11 months ! is that all in the same chain or have you had some fall through too ? i dunno how you've not just thrown the towel in at this stage and given up entirely. :(

Yep all in the same chain. when our offer was accepted our vendors vendor dropped out so they were looking for another properties. than they were going to go into rented so that we could move and they didn't have to rush finding a house so we got everything packed up just to be told they had changed their mind and weren't going down the rent route they were going to continue looking for somewhere to buy. we kept an eye out for other places but just kept thinking...ahh won't be long and they will have found somewhere and months down the line here we are.

we are in a chain now and only waiting on one of the searches to come back from someone higher up the chain but it's taking forever.
  • KingMob
    KingMob Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any tips for dealing with my solicitor being inconsistent/uncommunicative?

Posted a few times about my various woes. FTB, offer accepted in May, no chain, vendor has moved into new place. My solicitor based around 10 miles away uses an online tracking system which is not based on reality and when I query it I get told to ignore it due to system errors.

Keep getting told only outstanding issue is responses to several queries, age of garage, when house was extended, maintenance of shared driveway. These have been outstanding for 6 weeks. Spoke to vendor who assures me his solicitor has been given the info. Two weeks ago found person I've been dealing with in my solicitors stopped responding to voicemail, so wrote them a letter and phoned to escalate. Mysteriously started to receive email responses as soon as I phoned which claimed everything had been resolved and my suggested completion date of 15th August agreed.

Online tracking updated on 3rd to say offer had been posted. Late yesterday I received an email to say offer is being held until responses are received which contradicts what I was told 2 weeks ago. Also some queries about bank transactions from April, which leads me to believe my solicitor has left everything to last minute.

Getting sick of inconsistent comms from my solicitor, lack of progress and being unable to plan anything as have no confidence in completion date. Vendor and vendor's estate agent have been great, would it be reasonable to ask them to chase the vendors solicitor for an update when I expect they are not the hold up?
  • Tink_x
    Tink_x Posts: 42 Forumite
    FTB here.
    Exchange has failed twice now.
    On Friday by the time it reached top of the chain it was too late in the day so had to be restarted Monday.
    Then on Monday it exchanged all way back to top of chain again only for there to be an !!!8220;issue!!!8221; with the top house that needed sorting, apparently it!!!8217;s been sorted now but again too late in the day for exchange.
    So third attempt today. I!!!8217;m fed up and been full of anxiety for weeks.

When we offered on this house, we were told the house vendors were buying was not in a chain and they would be willing to move in with family to get a quick sale. Needless to say all of this was BS and didn!!!8217;t happen. The chain is six houses long. Losing patience.
  • Morning Ladies & Gents,

I've got a quick question regarding exchanging.

Me and my partner are due to exchange on Thursday (Chain free, empty house, FTB), and I've got a *Very* panicky partner who is worrying she's missed something, we've currently got;

Mortgage approved and ready to go
    Deposit from Parents (lucky me) as a Bankers Cheque (is this an issue?)
    Copy of Letter from parents outlining the deposit is a gift (previously sent to lender)
    Parents ID and proof of address
    Home insurance starting Thursday (I've read that once the contracts for a freehold property are exchanged, the buyer is then responsible for the home insurance, if this is wrong, naughty Google)

Do we nee anything else?

All help appreciated as we don't have a clue what happens next.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The solicitor won't ask you for authority to exchange if you have missed something.
    You're fine.
  • So close - one query outstanding apparently then we're ready to go. We're first time buyers purchasing a probate property so no reason for completion to take any time after exchange. Hoping to be in really soon so we can do a little bit of work before we have to leave our rented property at the end of August.

Progress! Contract and TR1 form received today to sign in readiness for exchange. Solicitor has also requested deposit funds and sent us a completion statement. Can see us taking another hit in the wallet as any completion date requested within 2 weeks of exchange attracts a fee but we want to be in ASAP. The end may be in sight.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Our land registry issue is resolved! :T

The other land registry issue at the bottom of the chain is nearly resolved too, it's just with their solicitors now to finalise.

Just this pointless stupid survey on the property at the bottom of the chain to get through, then we might finally be able to exchange!?
    Aiming for completion date of 22nd. :eek:
  • Magnus91
    Magnus91 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Magnus91 wrote: »
    Estate agent finally got in contact with the seller and apparently we will be receiving responses to our enquires today.

Although I'm not very hopeful because it took us 7 weeks to get draft contracts and every time they would say "you'll have it by the end of the week".

I don't understand why people can't just be honest :undecided

As predicted, we have not received the responses yet, EA chasing up AGAIN.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    :mad:Two very frustrating hours on the phone to the solicitors from my hubby today. In the end he was telling her how to do her job. So annoyed. I feel a formal complaint coming on. So FINALLY managed to get her to accept a completion date from us to talk about with the vendors solicitors, FINALLY got her to agree to send out the contracts for us to sign and get back, FINALLY got her to agree to complete the draft statement of monies so I know where to send the deposit etc to. GRRRRRRR

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Finally exchanged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completion date is set for 20th and we are really excited to finally see the end in sight!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback