PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 7:15AM
    I am amazed how little we spent today especially since we visited St Ives with our family.

As children apart from the beach, one of our highlights of our holiday was going to Harbour Amusements. Then as our children came along we took them there too and today it was the turn of our Grandchildren.

Amazingly we only spent £4 on the penny falls and the kiddie rides as our 2p seem to last for ages.

A wonderful hour was had by all :j
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 54

Well I suppose there was going to be a day when the purse strings were not going to be tight at all and today was that day :o

We spent just under a £100 on fuel (filling the car and several cans up) but we did manage £13.64 in discount thanks to the Sainsbury's 12p off a litre.

Also we had to visit Lidl for our fresh fruit, veg, bread and milk.

Finally we went out for an awesome meal to celebrate Mother's Day with my Son and his family before they return home.

An expensive day but one that couldn't really be helped
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 55

I can feel a happy dance coming on......

My spend was

:dance: Nada, nothing, naught, nothingness, nil, nix, zilch :dance:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning here is the recipe I use for the 'Melting Moments' biscuits

5ozs butter or soft marg (stork is fine)

3oz caster sugar (I whizz up granulated sugar in my blender,cheaper than buying it already ground up to caster sized granules) :)

2 T'spoons of vanilla essence, OR 1 T'spoon of vanilla extract

5ozs self-raising flour (value flour works as well as the more expensive stuff does , you will sieve it anyway :))

some desiccated coconut, or oats, some quartered glace cherries for decoration.

You can roll them in oats or coconut before baking (I like coconut) but they are nice without.

I sometimes add a bit of mixed spice to the mix, sifted in with the flour or some cinnamon for a spicy biscuit.

These will keep crisp up to five days in an airtight tin or lock'n'lock box, but mine never last that long, they are scoffed long before that :)

Heat the oven to 180c /350f or gas mark 4. grease two baking trays

Cream the butter/marg with the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence/extract and beat in. Stir in sifted flour and mix well with your fork until a rather sticky dough.

roll into small walnut sized pieces of the mixture and toss in oats or coconut. If the mix is a bit sticky slightly dampen your hands to roll the 'balls' out, bit messy but if you take a teaspoon to dig a bit out, then just roll it around to a small ball shape

Lay on the trays, in rows, leaving enough room between each biscuit so it can spread a little, Press the middle with a fork to flatten slightly you can stick a sliver of glace cherry in the middle of each if you want to decorate them, I do a few, but some people aren't keen on cherries

Bake for around 12-14 minutes until just starting to turn golden brown,NOT dark brown, do not over cook as they catch easily. Remove tray from oven and let to cool for a minute.remove onto wire trays with a palette knife

When you take them off the tray they may seem soft but they do crisp up as they cool. they should be a pale golden colour.

These take less than half an hour to prepare and cook. This mix should give you about 25-30 small biscuits and costs pennies to make.
    I have been making these for almost 60 years and my DD's and grandchildren love them

Cheap as chips and twice as nice as shop bought biscuits :):):)
    all of my grandchildren have over the years helped to make them on rainy days in the holidays :) Nothing like baking to keep kids amused,even the boys like to make biscuits :)

JackieO xx
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 56

Thank you SO very much for the recipe JackieO - I can't wait until next weekend when I will be able to bake them with my DD

So.... the fast - wahoo, 2 days in a row - nothing spent today :j
  • TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 57

Guess what!... yes another NSD - dead chuffed :D

Since starting the challenge I've come up with a great saving - I like drinking 7 up light (I'm teetotal so this is my treat)

I used to buy cans but now I have 8 x 250ml stubby bottles and I buy a 2 litre bottle and decant the contents into the stubbies. It means I can still enjoy my treat but at a greatly reduced cost.

Do you do anything like this?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My soft drink fix is cola, either Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke

I guzzle it. Seriously addicted I drink it all day every day and even if I wake in the night thirsty, it what I reach for

at £2 a bottle its not cheap, so Ive swapped to Lidls which is 49p and is seriously good
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am not a lover of fizzy stuff much but the MrT's diet cola at around 50p is pretty good, and I keep a bottle in the fridge, mixes well with a vodka at times as a change from tonic
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    I am not a lover of fizzy stuff much but the MrT's diet cola at around 50p is pretty good, and I keep a bottle in the fridge, mixes well with a vodka at times as a change from tonic

It really is worth trying own brand soft drinks Years ago they were vile , cheap and nasty. Then Virgin cola upped the stakes. Supermarkets had to up the ante and some of them are really passable nowadays

I quite like the Tesco lemon and lime. For 50p it’s not too awful
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi all, just been reading through the chat, well done TM6. It feels great to keep within budget doesn't it.
    I used to keep a check on our spending especially groceries but then it fell by the wayside. Have gone back to it this year as I'd love to have some spare money to put towards a holiday.
    I'm gradually trying to reduce the amount of ready made snacks I buy for my 3 boys, so will be trying the recipe above.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family