Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......

Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
1. Do storecupboard challenge
2. Keep spending diary
3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
January spends - £587.58

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,495
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NSD today - so far so good...
    I'd been given a scratch card in a Christmas card and won £1 on it - it has been lurking in my handbag and I kept forgetting to claim it - so I did it today and won £2 - decisions, decisions.......... do I go for 3rd time lucky and get another couple of scratch cards with my winnings or stash the cash in my sealed pot................ no idea how much I have in my pot - I put occasional loose change in it - but it must be 3/4 full - it's one of those you have to smash to count it though - only time I've saved and not been able to dib in - will go towards my spends for my weekend away in June :)
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    Spend £4.50 today - had early doctors appointment -7 a.m. - lol shock to the system and I called in the shop to buy a salad for lunch to take to work and some meat for the rest of the week. Wasn't planned but wasn't organised enough to have made lunch night before and no time if I was to get in work on time. Must do better.............

Food wise - rubbish rubbish rubbish.....................too many chocolates and biscuits at work. Weigh day tomorrow - doesn't bode well!
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    So much for eating from the freezer....... I ended up spending £35 as I wandered round the shops near SW killing time before group after work - nothing will be wasted - food for the freezer from nice butcher BUT I DIDN'T NEED IT!!
    Then £5 for slimming world where I'd put 1lb on....... there's a distinct lack of willpower surfacing here - need to do something about it.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    Ended up spending another £30 this weekend on presents and cards - ds has a birthday this week and family member has a ruby wedding celebration.
    My good intentions of making overpayments to get rid of the loan just aren't happening............so I have made a monumental decision to take the bull by the horns and pull in all my cash from change jars, down the back of the sofa etc and pay the lot off next payday - I usually pay my cc off in full every month but for a 1 off I will pay the minimum payment. I've worked it out and want rid of the loan so I can start anew and do something about getting a car again. It will leave me with £100 for the month and I have £90 going out on direct debits - but sometimes I just need to take the bull by the horns and DO it............ So I will be inventive using what I have in the freezer, make my outings walking trips and visiting friends and if I do 'need' not 'want' anything use my cc and pay the full balance the following month - I've got 3 weeks until payday but that is my plan...............
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    Just checked my spending for the week and I've spent £75 - I needed very little of what I bought. This has made me think I'm defo doing the right thing paying off the loan next month even though it'll be a very lean month the month after.

Next week I will
    1. Knock Slimming World on the head - save a fiver
    2. Continue with spending diary
    3. ONLY but what I NEED - milk, veg and bread!!!!!!!!
    4. Close an internet bank account with £50 in - opened it several years ago but never been able to log onto it - need to sort it
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    Its been a mad week or so - I've spent a fair old amount but stayed within what I expected to spend on close family members birthdays and anniversaries. Didn't stay within my planned lack of food shopping, but nothing has been wasted as my freezer is full - I know I can eat from it for about a month and if I want to pay off the loan on payday it's what I NEED to do. I DID close the account with £53.16 so that will offset the foody spends. I've also decided to give slimming world one last shot - I'm only half a stone away from target and then I won't need to pay.....so I've changed the day I go to group to a Monday so I don't blow it at weekend and think I have several days to get back on track.

So my to do list for this week
    1. Meal plan from freezer
    2. Keep my purse closed as many days as possible!!!
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,641
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Found you! :wave:
    Will read when next on laptop.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,641
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Good idea on paying off loan.
    A couple of lean months means nothing in comparison to that.
    Dr at 7am~~:eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    Forumite
    Hiya Beanie :hello:
    Yup 7am doctors appointment a couple of weeks ago - the waiting time to get appointments is about 2 weeks so they have 2 early mornings a week to help keep time as short as possible - suits me though if I'm at work - especially since I changed jobs in November and don't want to ask for time off. What isn't so good is when its school holidays and I forget and request an early appointment :eek:

Met friend from old job to catch up on the gossip after work and ended up going for a carvery which wasn't planned but with a better option than going in coffee shop where I'd have had latte and cake and the carvery is £5.99 mid week and bottomless soft drink £2.50 - so I had a lovely early evening and gorgeous food for £7.50...........annnnddddd - if I factor in friend picked me up from work and too me home after saving me £4.10 busfare - bargain :money:and certainly more SW friendly than the latte and cake option.:beer:

BUT - carveries and outings will not get me a car...... I want it to be payday so I can put my plan into action - 11 days to go!!!!!!

No other spends today. DH ate from the freezer and my lunch is prepped all ready for tomorrow :)
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Forumite
    Friday - spent £10 on fresh stuff
    Saturdyay - NSD
    Sunday - NSD

Feeling a bit better about finances and operation get a car this week - spent Saturday catching up on housework and went out for a nice walk between showers at NT place today - was treated to carvery for dinner.

Plan for next week
    - 5 NSDs
    - mealplan and stick to it
    work extra day on Friday - have the option whether to go in or not for training - 5 hours extra pay - so I'll go in
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure