Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,344Posts
    • 14,145Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 41
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 5th Dec 19, 11:20 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Thanks for wishes for my uncle. They stopped the chemo & now have him on another form of treatment. For some bizarre reason, the hospital doesn't provide it directly (in Ireland), cousin had to go into local chemist to order it, which then had to be shipped from UK, and he had to take to the hospital, no, I don't understand the logic either. Anyway, as cousin had to order it, he decided to look up cost, we should never underestimate the costs involved in treating our loved ones and should definitely crack down on the wastage, not just in bureaucracy, but those "patients" who waste resources. The six week course is costing almost £70,000, ok, there will be special prices for health services, but it is indicative of the costs the health services are prepared to pay to do all they can to treat our loved ones and yet you get drunken idiots who not only injure themselves because of their own stupidity but are abusive to the front line services, they should be charged for the treatment! Rant over

All done now, just as well, as barely at home before I travel to Ireland for Christmas.

Hope you are calmly stressed!
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Dec 19, 10:16 PM
    • 8,319 Posts
    • 55,029 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Ok folks, I need your help.

I've ordered a set of 4 Christmas decs for DB, SIL and DNieces * 2. You can put little things in them, I'm not sure of exact size yet but I'm thinking lindor type size. Assuming there are any left from the box I'm working my way through, I'm going to put one each in the adult ones, but the youngest DN (3yrs) has a pecan and likely walnut allergy. Whilst she's prob ok with Lindor, they do say 'may contain nuts' so I don't want to risk it.
    What else, wrapped and of a similar size could I put in for both DN?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Dec 19, 8:52 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 24,384 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Ok folks, I need your help.

I've ordered a set of 4 Christmas decs for DB, SIL and DNieces * 2. You can put little things in them, I'm not sure of exact size yet but I'm thinking lindor type size. Assuming there are any left from the box I'm working my way through, I'm going to put one each in the adult ones, but the youngest DN (3yrs) has a pecan and likely walnut allergy. Whilst she's prob ok with Lindor, they do say 'may contain nuts' so I don't want to risk it.
    What else, wrapped and of a similar size could I put in for both DN?
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Would a Kinder Egg fit in? Depending on their ages, they may also enjoy the little toy that the come with.

Equally, does it have to edible? I'm sure there are lots of small and affordable toys that would fit
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Dec 19, 11:59 AM
    • 8,319 Posts
    • 55,029 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Would a Kinder Egg fit in? Depending on their ages, they may also enjoy the little toy that the come with.

Equally, does it have to edible? I'm sure there are lots of small and affordable toys that would fit
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Each decoration is about 6cm x 4cm - the internal size is just a little larger than a Lindor but not much - so a Kinder egg wouldn't fit unfortunately. I'm not sure of any little toys that would fit, plus I just wanted to pop something in as a surprise, but I've already done main gifts so thought something like a Christmas choc would be enough.

I did wonder about Moam sweets when I had a look out today, could just pop a little block pack of those in each perhaps?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• savingmonkey
    • By savingmonkey 7th Dec 19, 11:37 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    savingmonkey
    Each decoration is about 6cm x 4cm - the internal size is just a little larger than a Lindor but not much - so a Kinder egg wouldn't fit unfortunately. I'm not sure of any little toys that would fit, plus I just wanted to pop something in as a surprise, but I've already done main gifts so thought something like a Christmas choc would be enough.

I did wonder about Moam sweets when I had a look out today, could just pop a little block pack of those in each perhaps?
    Hi, my daughter has a nut allergy and I have got a pack of individually wrapped dairy fudge from Asda to go in our homemade crackers as these are good for adults as well as kids There is no nut warning on the pack and cost about £1. The other supermarkets would do similar but not sure if they would say may contain nuts. Otherwise the Moam sweets sound a good option.
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 8th Dec 19, 2:50 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 19,677 Thanks
    junior_j

Asda do very mini packs of nut free chocolate buttons? They're in a food aisle but not choc aisle. Pretty sure tesco do the same type of choc.

Thanks for wishes for my uncle. They stopped the chemo & now have him on another form of treatment. For some bizarre reason, the hospital doesn't provide it directly (in Ireland), cousin had to go into local chemist to order it, which then had to be shipped from UK, and he had to take to the hospital, no, I don't understand the logic either. Anyway, as cousin had to order it, he decided to look up cost, we should never underestimate the costs involved in treating our loved ones and should definitely crack down on the wastage, not just in bureaucracy, but those "patients" who waste resources. The six week course is costing almost £70,000, ok, there will be special prices for health services, but it is indicative of the costs the health services are prepared to pay to do all they can to treat our loved ones and yet you get drunken idiots who not only injure themselves because of their own stupidity but are abusive to the front line services, they should be charged for the treatment! Rant over

All done now, just as well, as barely at home before I travel to Ireland for Christmas.

Hope you are calmly stressed!
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    It's sad to hear all of the faff that comes with medicines and that the cost of life literally comes with a price tag. Lots of well wishes for your uncle.

I spent hours in resus on Friday night , they wanted to keep me in but had said the on call neuro surgeons refused to review me. I was an emotional wreck and as it was Southampton hospital and not Portsmouth where I'm from , I had no one with me. Suffering on at home and hoping for the best.

Just put the tree up., me and mum are going to decorate it later and hopefully watch a Christmas film.

Will do a longer post later. Love & festive wishes for all.
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • willbennett123
    • By willbennett123 8th Dec 19, 7:14 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    willbennett123
    Hi All,
    Attached is the Latest Recommended Posting Dates for Christmas Delivery 2019.
    http://https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2019-08/consumer-latest-recommended-posting-dates-2019-v1_0.pdf
    Last edited by willbennett123; 08-12-2019 at 7:17 PM.
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 8th Dec 19, 9:43 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Beshki
    Trying to make a ‘coffee lovers gift’ for a tenner. Have bought a mug, some amaretti biscuits & a bag of coffee beans. Just needs something else or a couple more bits to bulk it out, but are cheap.
    Does anyone have any ideas please? Thank you
    • C J
    • By C J 8th Dec 19, 10:44 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 8,093 Thanks
    C J
    Make some coffee truffles or coffee fudge? There are lots of recipes online. Or if you’re not a cook, maybe buy a tub of Roses (they’re on offer in lots of places for £4 or even less) and take all the coffee creams out to add to the mug?
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 8th Dec 19, 11:45 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 18,020 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Brilliant idea about taking the coffee creams out CJ. You could get some festive coffee flavouring if they like that sort of thing BESHKI - they have some at really good prices in B&M.

Sorry to hear youíve been poorly again JJ, I hope things get sorted for you to enjoy Christmas.

I was just reading a comment on a post from JOYFULLYFESTIVE on Instagram about maybe not doing a big Christmas dinner on the day and Iím seriously thinking of ringing the changes next year and having brunch about 11:00 on Christmas morning for those that stay here (me, DH, DD2, DGD and DGS3) and then a festive buffet in the afternoon for everyone we spend the rest of the day with. I quite like the idea of a laid back day although I do t know how everyone else will feel. Maybe after theyíve tasted my offerings at dinner this year theyíll be all for a change next time .
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 9th Dec 19, 7:30 AM
    • 4,785 Posts
    • 29,865 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    The coffee creams is a good idea but I am not sure Roses have had coffee creams in for a few years now.

Lots of syrups/coffee flavourings in various stores at this time of year so maybe that is an option.

Also if flavoured coffee is an option then Beanies have a variety of christmas flavour jars at £2.50 or they do little sachets of flavoured coffee too I think.

Maybe a coaster to go with the mug?

Dunelm had the coffee stencils in the other day when I was in store. Know they are more for cappucinos etc but just another idea that came to me.

A coffee measuring scoop/spoon. I have seen some before that act as a bag seal clip too but i'm not much of a coffee lover so sorry no idea where
    Last edited by StokieBecks; 09-12-2019 at 7:34 AM.
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 9th Dec 19, 12:23 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Beshki
    Thanks for the ideas, I will look into all of those
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Dec 19, 1:16 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 18,020 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Well a bit of a set back this morning. DH went out to the garage and the extra freezer fuse had blown and all the Christmas food is ruined. So much for buying ahead and being organised. I canít even use any of it up because I donít know how long itís been defrosted for.

Needless to say Iíve been on line in an attempt at damage limitation and with a bit of rethinking (and assuming what Iíve ordered is actually delivered) I think weíre ok again. Iíve gone for fresh more than frozen this time but Iím happy with what Iíve chosen. My worry now is that when it comes to delivery day I wonít get all of it and then thereíll be a last minute panic.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Dec 19, 2:41 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Well a bit of a set back this morning. DH went out to the garage and the extra freezer fuse had blown and all the Christmas food is ruined. So much for buying ahead and being organised. I canít even use any of it up because I donít know how long itís been defrosted for.

Needless to say Iíve been on line in an attempt at damage limitation and with a bit of rethinking (and assuming what Iíve ordered is actually delivered) I think weíre ok again. Iíve gone for fresh more than frozen this time but Iím happy with what Iíve chosen. My worry now is that when it comes to delivery day I wonít get all of it and then thereíll be a last minute panic.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Oh no! Hope it works out.

Had a bit of a disaster last night myself. Was sorting out the Christmas cakes for distribution at the week when I discovered I am 2 short Been made since May (that will teach me!), so now panicking as only time I am around is Saturday morning to bake more, it is not as if I could actually skip giving one, as I will be seeing them in 2 groups, need to think about this carefully
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Dec 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 24,384 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    *queue the GBBO theme tune*
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Dec 19, 9:03 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 18,793 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    *queue the GBBO theme tune*
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    That is wasted on me, never watch any type of reality show
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 11th Dec 19, 12:20 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Beshki
    Does anyone have any gift ideas for a 12 year old girl? For around £20. I am struggling! Thinking usable/useful stuff, but I’m not too sure what she is into.
    • Pinkpetal
    • By Pinkpetal 11th Dec 19, 8:00 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Pinkpetal
    Does anyone have any gift ideas for a 12 year old girl? For around £20. I am struggling! Thinking usable/useful stuff, but Iím not too sure what she is into.
    Originally posted by Beshki
    This is a great place to look for bargins. Ive bought lots from her suggestions.
    https://www.makeupsavvy.co.uk/2019/12/aldi-christmas-beauty-gift-guide-2019.html
    • Redredrobin
    • By Redredrobin 12th Dec 19, 1:51 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Redredrobin
    For anyone doing a coffee themed gift if you have a Herons nearby they have a selection of coffee flavours in mini takeaway coffee cups for £5 .
    Finally Debt free June 2019

• princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 12th Dec 19, 7:58 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 13,063 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, gosh been busy busy! My dinner party went well and I had a lovely time, it was actually nice to be at home in the dining room rather than a noisy restaurant! Every single year I say I am going to be more organised and be ready by December, but here I am on the 12th, Iíve only just finished writing my cards, I have loads of presents to wrap, need to finish my cross stitch project as itís a present and I need to order my food! Why do I do this EVERY year?! I think I lull myself into a false sense of a security as I buy bits and bobs as I see them throughout the year and feel organised, then time slips away. To be fair, I had grand plans to write my cards and wrap presents in November but then Squeak had his accident and it kind of wiped out a few weeks so I may actually have been a bit more ready this year had that not happened. Although I was wondering if it would really feel like Christmas without a bit of stress and panic thrown in?!

I took Squeak to a Christmas party for little ones on Tuesday afternoon, it was so cute and he loved it. As well as the million things going on at school for Wiggle, we are taking him to the panto on Saturday to see Aladdin and weíre off to see Father Christmas on Sunday morning so it should be a very Christmassy weekend.

Kerri I won the most with the scratchcards at my dinner party Ė a whopping £2!!

Treasurequeen buying each other decorations sounds like a lovely tradition and you canít beat a garden centre at Christmas!

Redrobin wow I would have found the writing in the caves very moving too. Iím glad you enjoyed the markets there, it certainly sounds different. Fish and chips on Christmas Eve sounds lovely.

GTQ gosh the costs involved in medicine are crazy arenít they?

Oh junior Iím sorry to hear youíre going through it again, I hope you managed to enjoy decorating the tree and watching a Christmas film and that you are doing better now.

Peppa do whatever works best for you food wise, itís your day too and you want to enjoy it! Oh no rubbish news about your feeezer, itís so disappointing to lose so much food and to have to start again. Fingers crossed everything comes with your shopping!

Beshki Tesco had some Starbucks chilled ready to drink latteís in little cups if the recipient might like that? Or chocolate covered coffee beans? As for the 12 year old girl, Iíve seen Ďmake your own freakshakeí sets in glass jar mugs in Next, a cinema light box, a journaling set/stationery? I donít know any 12 year old girls so not so good at this sorry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

4,718Users online

Martin's Twitter