halogen heater query

Comments

• "yes there are cheaper to run".. Normal electric heaters cost a fortune and are about 35p a hour whereas the halogen heaters ( one bar to 3 bars ) Running Cost per Hour = Min - 2.8p / Max - 8.4p Min - 6.3p / Max - 12.6p
    myself321 wrote: »
    hi there

are halogen heaters economic i am looking at one that has 3 bars with 350w per bar ?
  • "yes there are cheaper to run".. Normal electric heaters cost a fortune and are about 35p a hour whereas the halogen heaters ( one bar to 3 bars ) Running Cost per Hour = Min - 2.8p / Max - 8.4p Min - 6.3p / Max - 12.6p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Ruth69 wrote: »
    "yes there are cheaper to run".. Normal electric heaters cost a fortune and are about 35p a hour whereas the halogen heaters ( one bar to 3 bars ) Running Cost per Hour = Min - 2.8p / Max - 8.4p Min - 6.3p / Max - 12.6p

Halogen are only cheaper to run because they are lower powered and give out less heat!

For the running costs you quote above (i.e. 2.8p/8.4p and 6.3p/12.6p) any form of electrical heater will give exactly the same heat as a halogen heater.

The 'Normal Electrical heater' costing 35p an hour will give out approx 3 times as much heat as the 12.6p heater.

With any type of electrical heater you get exactly the same amount of heat for the same running cost.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Halogen are only cheaper to run because they are lower powered and give out less heat!

For the running costs you quote above (i.e. 2.8p/8.4p and 6.3p/12.6p) any form of electrical heater will give exactly the same heat as a halogen heater.

The 'Normal Electrical heater' costing 35p an hour will give out approx 3 times as much heat as the 12.6p heater.

With any type of electrical heater you get exactly the same amount of heat for the same running cost.

Will people ever listen, or understand this..........:rolleyes:

Anyway, Ta. You just saved me typing in the above myself......;)
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • Ruth69
    Ruth69 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 23 November 2009 at 1:35AM
    Fully understand what you’re saying … but…. The halogen heaters are warm, and throw out quite a lot of heat... Too warm sometimes on 3 bars….. Electric heaters 35p an hour 3 times as warm as halogen heater total 1 hour of warmth…. halogen heater on full 10/12p an hour… total of 3 hours warmth… So if you’re warm enough, doesn’t it make sense, to have halogen heather even at max 12p a hour for 3hours warmth, rather than35p for one hours warmth, how warm do you need to be...? And if you get too warm with the halogen heater which inevitably you do, turn one bar off using 2 bars which reduces to cost … or just one bar on reducing the cost even more and still warm enough………..even more hours of warmth for a fraction of the cost of electric heaters…. why be hot for one hour when you can be nice and warm for 3....
  • Cardew
    Ruth69 wrote: »
    Fully understand what you’re saying … but…. The halogen heaters are warm, and throw out quite a lot of heat... Too warm sometimes on 3 bars….. Electric heaters 35p an hour 3 times as warm as halogen heater total 1 hour of warmth…. halogen heater on full 10/12p an hour… total of 3 hours warmth… So if you’re warm enough, doesn’t it make sense, to have halogen heather even at max 12p a hour for 3hours warmth, rather than35p for one hours warmth, how warm do you need to be...? And if you get too warm with the halogen heater which inevitably you do, turn one bar off using 2 bars which reduces to cost … or just one bar on reducing the cost even more and still warm enough………..even more hours of warmth for a fraction of the cost of electric heaters…. why be hot for one hour when you can be nice and warm for 3....

A 3kW heater will have a thermostat.(i.e. it switches on and off when the room is at the correct temperature)

So it will not be using electricity for much of the time.

So if a halogen heater keeps you warm for 3 hours, a normal heater will also keep you exactly as warm for those 3 hours for exactly the same cost.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    The way it heats is different.
    3kw may still be 3 kw, but a radiant heater will not heat the room as well as, say an oil heater. But it will heat you directly, and very quickly, and if you stand in front of it, you will be warmer for a lot less money.
    An oil heater will heat the entire room, and you will then feel warm, but a lot more energy will have been used to get you (and the room as well) up to temperature.
  • Cardew
    mikey72 wrote: »
    The way it heats is different.
    3kw may still be 3 kw, but a radiant heater will not heat the room as well as, say an oil heater. But it will heat you directly, and very quickly, and if you stand in front of it, you will be warmer for a lot less money.
    An oil heater will heat the entire room, and you will then feel warm, but a lot more energy will have been used to get you (and the room as well) up to temperature.

That has been stated many times - halogen heaters have their uses for an individual.

They are good in garages for someone working at a bench.

You could wrap yourself in a 60W electric blanket and keep warm.

However it doesn't change the basic facts that, say, a 1kW halogen heater produces exactly the same amount of heat as any other 1kW heater
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    That has been stated many times - halogen heaters have their uses for an individual.

They are good in garages for someone working at a bench.

You could wrap yourself in a 60W electric blanket and keep warm.

However it doesn't change the basic facts that, say, a 1kW halogen heater produces exactly the same amount of heat as any other 1kW heater

So does a 1kw kettle, but I wouldn't heat the room with one.
    The op asked if halogen heaters were economic, and they are, as they heat the individual for a smaller wattage than other methods.
    It's your statement
    "So if a halogen heater keeps you warm for 3 hours, a normal heater will also keep you exactly as warm for those 3 hours for exactly the same cost."
    which is wrong.
    The op can make up their own mind if the room, or just they need heating.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think a sticky thread showing the disadvantage and advantages of each electrical form of heating would be bad idea for this forum as it seems to come up again and again. the problem with a halogen is that it will not heat a room as well if your going to moving around it would be better to have something that heats the entire room.I think its wrong to say any form of electrical heating is economical as they all cost a lot to run compared to gas central heating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure