Using mobile phone hot spot as Internet provider

Has anyone tried this?
I pay 25/month for Broadband
I pay 18/month for my SIM with unlimited data.
Can I cancel my Broadband and just use the mobile hot spot as my home internet?

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would suggest checking the small print for the sim contract (and trying to find other people on the same package who have done it already), quite often "unlimited data" is really "unlimited data*" where the * denotes that there are terms and conditions such as unlimited meaning they won't cut the connection but will throttle it, or will cut it if you exceed what they consider a "fair" amount.
  • thebigstillmeister
    thebigstillmeister Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2019 at 5:10PM
    I'm with Three and have had unlimited data for a few years and im sure I used to have cap on Tethering (hot spot), all the plans seem to have changed recently, just checked and their advanced plans seem to also include unlimited tethering now which looks like I have now been moved on to,
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes in theory, but as others have said just check the fine print.

If you are with Three it is fine as their unlimited seems to mean unlimited.

I am assuming you live alone, otherwise when you leave the internet will be leaving with you.

Only other issue might be if you intend to have a smart house, e.g. internet enabled doorbell, heating controls etc. as they need to be connected to wifi.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, in theory.

A mobile connection is likely to be much less consistent than a fibre or cable internet connection. It's all down to who is using the mast/s at the same time as you and if they are also using large amounts of data.

It will also stress you mobile battery so ideally plug it in during usage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure