Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SandraX
    • By SandraX 13th Dec 18, 9:14 AM
    • 766Posts
    • 494Thanks
    SandraX
    When does Christmas begin for you?
    • 13th Dec 18, 9:14 AM
    When does Christmas begin for you? 13th Dec 18 at 9:14 AM
    For me and my family, it's when we have all gone on xmas leave.

My children and husband all have at least 2 weeks off, I have to go in for a few hours between xmas and new year , so not really a 2 week break for me but carers hols are difficult to get and I knew that before I took on this job. Like I said in another thread, xmas is only a commercial exercise for us, eg drinks, excess eating and chance to get together is the real xmas but I guess that account for more than half the population in the uk.
    Last edited by SandraX; 13-12-2018 at 9:40 AM.
Page 2
    • 123june
    • By 123june 2nd Jul 19, 6:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    123june
    Christmas in July films are on Sky x
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 2nd Jul 19, 8:03 PM
    • 9,662 Posts
    • 10,231 Thanks
    pogofish
    Sometime between the Winter Solstice and Christmas Eve.

Anything before that is not in any way Christmas IMO.
    • JoseChungsDoomsday
    • By JoseChungsDoomsday 7th Jul 19, 12:09 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    JoseChungsDoomsday
    As soon as Halloween is over!
    • Clyde Robinson
    • By Clyde Robinson 19th Jul 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clyde Robinson
    I do hope to celebrate Christmas at its fullest this year. Last time got to leave for one day and was really disappointing.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Aug 19, 7:43 PM
    • 17,916 Posts
    • 14,026 Thanks
    hollydays
    I try not to get involved with Christmas until a week before.
    It's a construct designed nowadays to extract money from you.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 2nd Aug 19, 8:35 PM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 38,284 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    It used to be the John Lewis sale, but that seems to have been rearranged from a web sales perspective.

I'll try to eschew the excitements until September but then I shall start squirreling the fun stuff. Which probably won't start to emerge properly til after Halloween but ye gods this year all sorts of nonsense is possible.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 2nd Aug 19, 8:58 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    z1a
    Wifes birthday 15th Dec, she likes tree and decs. to be up by then, so that's the start of xmas in our house.
    Last edited by z1a; 02-08-2019 at 9:00 PM.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 2nd Aug 19, 9:43 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 40,221 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Well if you are interested Selfridges have already opened their Christmas shop in July .......
    what madness is that????

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/christmas/selfridges-christmas-shop-2019-open-day-world-record-department-store-london-a9025151.html
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 9th Aug 19, 8:32 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Christmas for me starts when I see Advent Calendars in the shops but then on December 1st when the kids get their advent calendars!

I am in Christmas mode once the kids go back to school in September - I start shopping

but since I now dont work due to ill health I am now able to really enjoy the Christmas spirit with the kids.
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - £2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • EleanorR
    • By EleanorR 14th Aug 19, 2:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EleanorR
    I'd say September onward, once you start to see Christmas things in shops.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Aug 19, 3:10 PM
    • 6,629 Posts
    • 5,206 Thanks
    prosaver
    When i put the decoration s up hats about 8th December
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • dan958
    • By dan958 14th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    dan958
    About a week before Christmas, I break out all the Hallmark Christmas movies then (y'know, the ones with the exact same plotline)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Aug 19, 4:15 PM
    • 11,155 Posts
    • 131,588 Thanks
    kazwookie
    17th Dec @ LHR
    Sun, Sea

• aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Oct 19, 11:05 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    aimeemum
    30th November....when I put together the 1st December Advent box for the kids, dig our elf out from the loft along with his 'magic box' that brings their treats, and put out the first couple of decorations. I like it to be instant Christmas on the 1st lol. We don't put our tree up until the 2nd Saturday but a few things do make an appearance from the 1st.
    DFBX20 #148 - £50/£2,544 (Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Dec 2019 - £6,285)
    SPC-13 #136
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 17th Oct 19, 11:12 AM
    • 9,188 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    Primrose
    Christmas Eve, listening to the Carol Service from Kings College, Cambridge. And it ends when Boxing Day is over when I itch to take down the tree and Christmas cards but my husband won,t let me !
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th Oct 19, 11:13 AM
    • 10,914 Posts
    • 17,226 Thanks
    worried jim
    About 08:30am 25th December like most other normal people.
    • Franky2019
    • By Franky2019 22nd Oct 19, 3:28 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Franky2019
    Tree and decs go up usually second week of December. Then once I finish work (this year on the 20th) I go into full Christmas mode!

I'm lucky in that I get 2 weeks off, but hubby is working most of it, so I will be on my own with our daughter, but my mum and dad come and stay which is lovely
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 17th Nov 19, 4:23 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 10,064 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Our Christmas starts on 1st December. The tree and limited decorations go up and my gorgeous beauty Advent calendar starts then as well.

Now we are retired with no family there are more Christmases in the past than in the future so we like to make the best of things. We can do the shopping at the quietest times as well.

When I was working it was very different. I had one job where no one was allowed to take any time off in December and we only got Christmas Day and Boxing Day off so I either put my feet up and watched television or visited relatives. I was single then. When public transport stopped on Boxing Day I couldn’t even visit anyone as I didn’t drive.

I make the most of it now
    Last edited by Murphybear; 17-11-2019 at 4:26 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Nov 19, 6:13 PM
    • 24,581 Posts
    • 66,073 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Have been on a weekend coach trip to the south of the UK and was gob-smacked to see at least a dozen private houses with Christmas decorations up.
    FFS! It's 6 weeks away!
    Will they be buying Easter eggs in January?
    • Skintski
    • By Skintski 18th Nov 19, 7:05 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    Skintski
    It’s started, the decorations went up last weekend and Heart Xmas has been programmed into the car radio. I have very happy memories of Christmas that has continued into adulthood. I could happily do Christmas without the gifts as it’s the atmosphere and the family time I always look forward to. I always take a lot of time off as well so I’m looking forward to a three week break from work.

It’s probably too early for most people but the way I see it is that I’m not hurting anyone and it makes me happy. Life is too short to worry whether other people are rolling their eyes at my decorations being up.
    Last edited by Skintski; 18-11-2019 at 7:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,951Users online

Martin's Twitter