Thameswater trying to charge £600+ even though account is closed!

Hey,

Here's the lowdown:

I moved from my previous property in October 2018.
When trying to get the final bill to close the account I was sent multiple bills up to £500.
After a lot of back and forth and TW saying they would send someone to the property to investigate, I was sent a bill for around £30. I paid this and received an account statement saying my 'current liability as of 26th October (after i moved) is £0.00.

Ive now been sent a bill for over £600 and they said i need to pay this!?!

Can anyone advise what I can do about this? I called and they said the final account statement was a mistake just like the other wrong statements beforehand!!!

Thanks,
Conor

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum.

Presumably you were metered? Usually such bills are generated because previous bills were based on incorrect meter readings.

It doesn't matter what earlier bills stated, the issue is whether the £600+ bill is correct or not. Even if Thames Water had made a mistake, they are allowed to correct that mistake.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418
    First Post
    Forumite
    pschitt wrote: »
    Hey,

Here's the lowdown:

I moved from my previous property in October 2018.
    When trying to get the final bill to close the account I was sent multiple bills up to £500.
    After a lot of back and forth and TW saying they would send someone to the property to investigate, I was sent a bill for around £30. I paid this and received an account statement saying my 'current liability as of 26th October (after i moved) is £0.00.

Ive now been sent a bill for over £600 and they said i need to pay this!?!

Can anyone advise what I can do about this? I called and they said the final account statement was a mistake just like the other wrong statements beforehand!!!

Thanks,
    Conor

As you claim, you received multiple bills demanding varying amounts.
    As presumably you did with all the previous bills, you need to carefully check the latest bill and decide whether or not you agree with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure