Virtual Assistant Roles

Options
I worked as a PA & Marketing for 20+ years
I’ve had a baby and sadly couldn’t keep doing my job and taken a retail job but I hate it, late nights, midnight finishes and very little sleep!

I’ve been wracking my brains how to get out this situation and while I have a lot of design experience, a freelance role in this seems trickier to begin
However, I have extensive experience in PA/Secretarial, a great computer at home with all the common used software (and not so common) and a few hours spare between looking after the baby and work and thought a virtual assistant role might be a bit more reachable but I don’t know where to start.

Has/does anyone do this as a job - where did you start, I know it’s easy to throw up ads on fivrr and gumtree but is there anything else I should know, how does the work load get delivered? Are there any disadvantages?

I’m working PT/20h and of course if it was a !!!!ibke venture I would also go self employed but I know since I was last self employed years ago, it has all changed so unsure if it would be a worthwhile idea

Sorry for the rambles, my head is just full of ideas and nowhere to start 🤦!♀️

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried googling "virtual assistant roles"?
  • Mirren
    Mirren Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve been searching in the hope something near where I lived or even an agency might be available but it doesn’t seem to be a common role and the only agencies are lesser known ones which I’m slightly more hesitant in contacting.
  • Lillian_Newton
    Options
    Have a look on job boards like working mums or indeed (sorry I can't post links) and set the location to homebased. I often come across lots of homebased admin and PA roles that way
  • If it’s virtual why do you need it near where you live?
  • saker75
    saker75 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These roles are usually freelance. Set yourself up on people per hour or similar initially and then see what happens. There are some good YouTube blogs from uk VAs.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tombola do chat assistance not sure if it’s the same sort of thing your after. Only thing is you have to live near the Sunderland head office
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Mirren
    Mirren Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m fine about the location as long as it is UK,
    I contacted Business Gateway and they have been amazing with information on what to consider, I knew data protection etc was a big player but there was some areas I didn’t even think about so for the next few weeks I’ll be doing research and quotes for insurances and market areas

It will be tricky at the start but it seems like a sensible venture with the skills I have accumulated over the years and the additional areas I know outside these roles.

Just curious if anyone had ever ventured into this area - I’ve joined all the societies etc to see what other VAs deal with and areas that may be problematic
  • no1gymbunny
    Options
    Buy and read this book: How To Be a Virtual Assistant by Catherine Gladwyn. A really practical, useful book. It should answer all of your questions! If not, Catherine is offering a course. I think it starts next year. Check out her instagram :-)
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport