Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just been out for a proper run on the dual carriage way. No major issues to report, drove straight and true, no vibration, reached correct temp.
    Only issues are wind noise from drivers window (I suspect new rubber seal would cure this) and the radio aerial doesn't go up and down but I can hear the motor whirring away when I turn it on or off- It's not very good at picking up any new stations.-The aerial is always up- doesn't retract but the motor is working.
    As it is only a tape deck I will get a new head unit fitted and I may get them to have a look at the aerial at the same time. Halfords (I know, I know) do a JVC KD-R321 CD/MP3 Player for £55 and fitting for £25.
  • Just been out for a proper run on the dual carriage way. No major issues to report, drove straight and true, no vibration, reached correct temp.
    Only issues are wind noise from drivers window (I suspect new rubber seal would cure this) and the radio aerial doesn't go up and down but I can hear the motor whirring away when I turn it on or off- It's not very good at picking up any new stations.-The aerial is always up- doesn't retract but the motor is working.
    As it is only a tape deck I will get a new head unit fitted and I may get them to have a look at the aerial at the same time. Halfords (I know, I know) do a JVC KD-R321 CD/MP3 Player for £55 and fitting for £25.
    i have the KD R311.

its easy peasy to do yourself, pull out with DIN keys, place jvc cage in and secure, plug in ISO leads and get a aeriel adaptor for about £2.99 for the aeriel, swap over yellow to red wire for memory to the stereo and job done.
  • lol, wish my only problem was the aerial. Had to get a replacement engine today.
    Luckily it wasnt via parts gateway who's results got me quotes of £540, £900 and £1050 respectively.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    For the Fronteria? Ouch.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not quite "Running my Rover on Ethanol", but here is the new thread-

Your Bangernomics successes
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3803929&highlight=

I'll see you all there.
  • lol, wish my only problem was the aerial. Had to get a replacement engine today.
    Luckily it wasnt via parts gateway who's results got me quotes of £540, £900 and £1050 respectively.

Why did you need a new engine?
    The latest survey data suggests to us that the UK housing market is like a tyre with a slow puncture. You can keep putting air into it for a while, but no matter what you do, eventually it’s going to go down a lot.
  • Tellytuby wrote: »
    Why did you need a new engine?

Bought at auction on a whim, the head gasket was gone. It was obvious after the event that someone had already been in there (slack bolts, threaded bolts, bit of a mess)

Engine out and in or head off, skimmed and back together was pretty much the same cost wise, with no real guarantees. At least the engine had a warranty.

Lost patience and parked it up (really must ebay it, turns out bio would probably kill the pump seals anyway), now run an Audi 80 on veg.
  • Is there a company that can do the veg oil conversion with a warranty?
    The latest survey data suggests to us that the UK housing market is like a tyre with a slow puncture. You can keep putting air into it for a while, but no matter what you do, eventually it’s going to go down a lot.
  • My audi 80 1.9 TDI is run on filtered used oil mixed with petrol and I've a Grand Voyager 2.5CRD I run on home made Biodiesel.

Both have no modifications, if you could say what car you're looking to run, I could probably point you to a site or 2.
  • I will stick to plain old boring (expensive) petrol anyway.

I think you will have to.

I don't think you can run a petrol car on veg oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure