The Las Vegas Thread and MSE guide

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    March
    sue_oh wrote: »
    Brill tip re checking in on line day before - wouldn't have thought of that one :beer: Our flight home isn't until 3'ish p.m, so would it be worth checking in the luggage earlier in the day and heading back to the strip? We are first timers, won't be getting a car as it'll be a busman's holiday for Hubs. It is worth it? Over to you.... :A

Not if you don't have a rental car, I don't think.

For us, it's always been worth it - we leave the hotel about 10:15, get to the terminal about 10:30, get back to the car by 10:45 (have never had to pay for parking as the first 15 minutes is free and have never been in there more than 15 mins) and back at the strip before 11...then we have a full 3-4 hours depending on when our flight leaves before we head back to the rental car facility knowing that all we have to do after we drop of the car is get on the shuttle then to the gate. Part of what makes all this work for us is the rental car - I wouldn't be comfortable relying on taxis myself, but I'm paranoid. :)

We love it - I can see why it seems like unnecessary faffing to some, but we feel like we get a last few relaxed hours on the strip rather than spending those last few hours in a queue at check-in and sitting by the gate...I'm one of those people who if they say you should be there 2 hours before my schedule will have me getting there 3 hours before at the absolute latest...so not doing it as above means our last 3 hours in Vegas (minimum) will be spent at the airport...our way means our last 45 minutes will. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm another who thinks 10 days is too long in Vegas , but I don't think i'm as addicted as some on here! :p

We've always gone for a week and found it to be more than enough , even when we drove to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days last time.

I do really like Vegas , but as i said i'm not really addicted . It's more a case of being addicted to the USA! First went to Vegas in April 2002 when we did 7 nights there and then 3 nights in NY and then later in the year we took our younger daughter there to celebrate her 21st birthday. Took both our daughters in 2004 and then just husband and I went in September 06.

Actually just noticed we've been going every 2 years , so really ought to be going this year. Having a Granddaughter and the credit crunch has put paid to that though icon9.gif
    Same old same old since 2008

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    iltisman wrote: »
    I think that 10 days in vegas is too long, I would spend 2 days in Vegas Hire a car and drive to San Diego then across to Tucson (long drive) and return via Sedona and the Grand Canyon if there is any time left have the last 2 days in Vegas.

You are on the wrong forum:rotfl: :rotfl: this the Vegas addicts forum:rotfl:
  • Superman
    Superman Posts: 102 Forumite
    Just to let you know if you are shopping in the designer outlet in Vegas go to the information office first as they have discount flyers for the stores. When I was there last week there was a flyer for $25 off when you spend $150 in the Ralph Lauren shop. Unfortunately I didn't see it until after I had been shopping!

That being said the prices are really cheap anyway. Here are some of the deals I got:
    • Ugg boots £88 (UK Price £170)
    • Ralph tshirts £7 (UK Price £30)
    • Nike Trainers £27 (UK Price £80)
    • Levis Jeans £20 (UK Price £80)
    There were also great Timberland and American Apparel stores there.

Generally the standard designer shopping centers were not that competitive, although there was a really good Abercrombie shop in one centre. Everything was about half compared to the UK.
  • ferf1223
    March
    Superman wrote: »
    Just to let you know if you are shopping in the designer outlet in Vegas go to the information office first as they have discount flyers for the stores. When I was there last week there was a flyer for $25 off when you spend $150 in the Ralph Lauren shop. Unfortunately I didn't see it until after I had been shopping!

You can print a voucher for a bunch of different coupon books at various shopping malls here -

http://www.destinationcoupons.com/nevada/Las_Vegas/shop_lasvegas/coupon.asp

Some places seem to require the coupon while others will give them away if asked.

Also don't forget the 11% Macy's discount voucher for out-of-state shoppers - details here:

http://www.destinationcoupons.com/Macy's/coupon.asp

The Boulevard Mall location isn't listed but the 11% discount is available at the gift wrap counter.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    March
    as for whether 10 days is too long in Vegas - I say no as many have but like many holiday-oriented questions it's a really relative thing. If you have a rental car, it unlocks a lot of nearby alternatives that you wouldn't even consider without.

my sister's boss recently went to Vegas with her husband for 3 nights and reported back that it was 'boring'. My sister said that her boss is not a gambler so that's probably why she didn't enjoy it (my sister has never been and it doesn't interest her). My argument was that her boss obviously didn't do much research beforehand as there's loads to do to fill a 3-night trip if you're not a gambler.

But it's all relative - really depends on a lot of factors.

We went for 3 nights in June and it nearly killed us - so used to 8 or 9 nights - 3 just seemed ridiculous...spent most of the trip thinking 'oh, we only have 2/1/no full days left'. I found it rather depressing to be there for such a short time, but yanked myself out of the self pity by acknowledging that at least we were in Vegas at all. :)
  • doodle_bug
    doodle_bug Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Might go to Vegas early Sept if the price is right. Flight's are not cheap anymore and I've always booked flight/hotel separately to get the best deal. I've searched expedia and found Manchester to Vegas with AA via JFK staying eg. at The Orleans for 11 nights for £665 each. The flight cost on AA website is £591 so the expedia cost seems to be a bargain. What do you think?
  • tingtong
    tingtong Posts: 580 Forumite
    Just a quick heads up on BMI flights from Heathrow - LAX. Saw an advert from £351 between 22nd August and sometime in October, must be booked by 4th August I think.

Did a quick check myself from 27th Aug - 5th Sept and price was £356 direct. Thought this might be useful to get direct flights to the West Coast (albeit LA), without using the dreaded Virgin Atlantic service !

Edit: just done some more checks and flights from £341 in October !!
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went for the first time last year for 10 days - normally I find a week too short to really relax. I think 10 days is pretty decent, it depends how fast paced or how much you want to see. Like many on here I am planning to go back shortly as it was an enjoyable time and there were a couple of tihngs I didn't go and see although they weren't at the top of my list. Within 10 days you should be able to see the major Vegas attractions with some days thrown in for shopping or whatever else you wish to do.

Any good offers currently for pre-christmas time (10th december or so)? Always nice to have almost a month off work with that followed by the christmas shut down at work!
    matched betting: £879.63
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    April
    doodle_bug wrote: »
    Might go to Vegas early Sept if the price is right. Flight's are not cheap anymore and I've always booked flight/hotel separately to get the best deal. I've searched expedia and found Manchester to Vegas with AA via JFK staying eg. at The Orleans for 11 nights for £665 each. The flight cost on AA website is £591 so the expedia cost seems to be a bargain. What do you think?

not bad , but beware of fuel supplement on top of the expedia price , i would definatly check that out 1st.

also check all other carriers espically Delta and US Airways who often shake out as one the cheaper in direct carriers.
    Just a quick heads up on BMI flights from Heathrow - LAX. Saw an advert from £351 between 22nd August and sometime in October, must be booked by 4th August I think.

Did a quick check myself from 27th Aug - 5th Sept and price was £356 direct. Thought this might be useful to get direct flights to the West Coast (albeit LA), without using the dreaded Virgin Atlantic service !

Edit: just done some more checks and flights from £341 in October !!

great prices :beer: :beer: :beer: , i'm quite tempeted myself.
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport