MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Options

Comments

• rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is one of the affected machines and I've been given a repair date of September (hopefully!).
    Think I'll phone them back and see if they'll do a straight swap (didn't know you could do that) instead of waiting another 6 months for a repair.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • BrentMeister
    Options
    bouncydog1 wrote: »
    I have bought hotpoint for many years, but after experiencing their customer service, I am now getting rid of all hot point appliances as soon as possible.

Do love these knee jerk reactions.
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Do love these knee jerk reactions.

Knee Jerk ??

That sounds carefully considered.
  • BrentMeister
    Options
    pstuart wrote: »
    Knee Jerk ??

That sounds carefully considered.

Why would someone want to get rid of all their hotpoint appliances which I presume are working well, just because of the customer service they received?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why would someone want to get rid of all their hotpoint appliances which I presume are working well, just because of the customer service they received?

Perhaps they are not to sure about the company now after they produced faulty products for 11 years.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having spent around £200 on a "cheapy" Indesit in August, why would I want to spend another £99 on a replacement?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having spent around £200 on a "cheapy" Indesit in August, why would I want to spend another £99 on a replacement?
    What did Whirlpool say when you asked them that question?
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    We've just had our 6 1/2 year old tumble dryer replaced free of charge.

Our repair was scheduled for December which was utterly unacceptable. I refused to pay £99 for a replacement on the basis that a) it was of lower specification; and b) the existing dryer was, but for the risk, working well.

I wrote a letter before action to Hotpoint on the basis that the product was unsafe and that they had potential liability under the Consumer Protection Act. I also stated that their recall campaign was being negligently conducted as it was taking so long.

I was then offered a choice of 5 to be replaced without charge.

So I guess our situation is resolved. Hotpoint's customer service were terrible to deal with. I strongly suspect that if I had issued proceedings, they would have settled.

Personally, I wouldn't advocate anyone paying more money for a new appliance which may be of lower specification.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    What did Whirlpool say when you asked them that question?

They booked in the fix, which was done at the beginning of March :)
  • cinders59
    cinders59 Posts: 7,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a letter from them in Feb and registered for a repair, I have now received and email stating DECEMBER at the earliest,
    is this fair I feel I do not want to use it as it is kept in a stone shed outside, which is waterproof, but also means I cannot keep an eye on it when in use. I was offered a reduced cost replacement but why should I pay when it is their fault
    Thanks to all who post comps :)
    ITV winners membersclub#2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family