Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2014

Options

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    mummyd wrote: »
    Hi going to be 40 end of jan and thinking Las Vegas 1st week in feb,
    Advise please do u think this is an ok time to go??? Best hotel??? Many thanks

it depends on what you mean but an OK time to go - it's not pool weather if that's a factor...it would be fine for us but not for others...best hotel is too broad without more detail like budget and what you're looking for. Have a look around at the first page and some of the sites recommended and if you have some hotels that are of interest chances are good at least a few here will have stayed at some or all and can give you some advice.

The Superbowl is 1st Feb 2015 so if you're meaning to go that weekend then I think hotel rates might be quite a lot higher on the Sunday than normal..a quick look at hotel calendars seems to indicate that Sunday is about $100 more than the Sundays before and after and Vegas is likely to be quite busy that weekend..
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • mummyd_2
    mummyd_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    it depends on what you mean but an OK time to go - it's not pool weather if that's a factor...it would be fine for us but not for others...best hotel is too broad without more detail like budget and what you're looking for. Have a look around at the first page and some of the sites recommended and if you have some hotels that are of interest chances are good at least a few here will have stayed at some or all and can give you some advice.

The Superbowl is 1st Feb 2015 so if you're meaning to go that weekend then I think hotel rates might be quite a lot higher on the Sunday than normal..a quick look at hotel calendars seems to indicate that Sunday is about $100 more than the Sundays before and after and Vegas is likely to be quite busy that weekend..

Looking at the 2nd or 3rd for 5 nights, sun not a major factor but do want to visit grand canyon so didn't want it to be miserable lol, travel agent yesterday recommended the Luxor as middle ground so have been looking at that, thanks very much for your advice x
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 June 2014 at 1:46PM
    Options
    but do want to visit grand canyon so didn't want it to be miserable
    Because of the high altitude that'll probably be seriously cold in February with snow on the ground. But still beautiful.
    Details:
    http://www.desertusa.com/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-climate-geography.html
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hours.htm
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • ferf1223
    Options
    Looking at the 2nd or 3rd for 5 nights, sun not a major factor but do want to visit grand canyon so didn't want it to be miserable lol, travel agent yesterday recommended the Luxor as middle ground so have been looking at that, thanks very much for your advice x

For a first trip most wouldn't suggest Luxor...it's OK, but it's south strip and there are probably mid-strip options as nice or nicer that would be more convenient for exploring. Maybe Paris or Bally's, Mirage or maybe TI...south strip isn't a terrible idea but for a first trip particularly it might be nicer to be more in the middle. 5 nights isn't a huge amount of time especially if you're planning on a GC trip (and as John says that will be quite a cold time to go with the possibility of snow though you don't mention which rim of the GC and what type of trip - if you would be driving or not so it could be a last minute change of plans depending on the weather).

It's quite possible it will be sunny - just not pool temps for many.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    you don't mention which rim of the GC
    The north rim is closed all winter.

And I'd recommend ignoring Grand Canyon West/West Rim; the general opinion is that it's a very poor choice compared with the national park.
  • ferf1223
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    The north rim is closed all winter.

I know, but few plan to go to the north rim...it wasn't clear if it was West (possibly by helicopter) or South (possibly by bus, possibly by car, possibly by airplane). :)
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Agreed, all those are good relevant options.
  • mummyd_2
    Options
    The Grand Canyon helicopter I think x
  • mummyd_2
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice x
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's a video of a helicopter trip from Las Vegas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yJkSwqIc84&index=18&list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXaVGaWY3_O_KUo2H5cgmb7P
    (BTW I don't know the creators and I don't receive any reward for recommending this video from them or YouTube or anyone else)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport