Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask?

Comments

• Mr_Wang
    Mr_Wang Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    What is everyone worried about?

Don't you know you're name? You're address? Where you were born?
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr_Wang wrote: »
    What is everyone worried about?

Don't you know you're name? You're address? Where you were born?
    It's your, not you're.

I haven't the foggiest when I opened my bank account, never knew my parents date of marriage, never remembered their dates of birth, somewhat vague about where they were born, it was only after his death did I learn my father's full name, goodness knows how many credit cards I have - some I haven't used for years, if they ask me my phone number I'm !!!!!!ed
  • Mr_Wang
    Mr_Wang Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    alanrowell wrote: »
    It's your, not you're.

Come on Alan. Pointing out typos on forums went out of fashion before the net was invented.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mr_Wang wrote: »
    Come on Alan. Pointing out typos on forums went out of fashion before the net was invented.

I must be unfashionable as well then.

It isn't a typo as a typo is a typing error/mistake. Whereas some people think that this is how it is spelt.

You are = you're
    your = belongs to
  • FNLTC
    FNLTC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi,

Just as a quick follow up to my previous post:

despite forgetting his brothers' ages, being worried that his signature wouldn't match and being a little bit glad we'd cribbed up on some of the answers he wouldn't have had a clue about otherwise, they were clearly just sitting on his passport anyway barring glaring concerns. His interview was on Tuesday morning and the passport arrived on the doormat on Thursday morning, even though I guess we're in peak season for travel.
  • I went for my passport interview last week. They asked me the following:
    Where do I work?
    My full name and how to spell it
    My date of birth
    My address and how long I have lived there
    What my House looks like (3 bedrooms, driveway, semi-detached etc.)
    Who lives there with me
    What does the area I live in have in it (Shops, Pubs)
    My mothers date of birth and where she was born
    My fathers date of birth and where he was born
    My sisters age
    What primary and secondary school did I attend
    Who I banked with and did I have any regular payments coming out
    What are the payments for?
    Did I drive and do I own a car?
    How many bank accounts do I have?
    What documents did I send with my passport form (remember photos)
    Who counter signed my form?
    What is there profession?
    How old do you think they are? (take a guess)
    Where do you plan to go aboard and what for (Holiday etc.)
    Then I had to sign my signature

The interview overall was okay, the lady was very friendly and chatty. They do tend to watch you closely which can be off putting, but other than that it was fine. I was out within 15mins.

Hope this helps
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Copjunk2 wrote: »
    Colleague at work's boyfriend had his interview yesterday and was asked what he could see out of his bedroom window! Was also asked things like his father's occupation when he was born. They obviously do a fair amount of background checking.

I doubt if they go as far as to check trivial details such as this, suspect they are trained to check body language and how people answer the questions. Most people can tell when someone is lying
    Would also suspect that a hidden camera is recording the interview and recording possibly scanned with some form of facial recognition software
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know if anyone has ever been turned down after an interview?

Just curious. I've had a passport since Adam was a lad.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • I had my passport interview today. It was quite straightforward. I was asked to confirm my own details and then asked a number of other fairly simple questions:
    Mother's name, date and place of birth
    Father's name, date and place of birth
    How long I had lived at this address and my previous addresses
    Was I on the electoral role
    My husband's date of birth
    My occupation, my husband's occupation
    the name and age of the person who had confirmed my photographs and how long I had known them
    My telephone number
    Where my main bank account was held and did I hold any other bank accounts
    Did I have any credit cards or store cards or loans and who with
    There were other similar questions which I can't recall. Finally I had to give an electronic signature.
    I had my interview at Manchester, the interviewer was very pleasant and I did not feel pressured at all. It took about 20 minutes in all.
  • The identity interview is not a farce. Identity fraud is a serious threat. If someone manages to apply for a passport in your name, they can use it to live and work illegally in the UK. Worse they can use it to open bank accounts, credit cards, and mortgages in your name. Do you really want someone to open half a dozen credit cards in your name and run the balances up on them?

As for the questions, they will ask a few difficult questions that you will get right and use your responses as a "baseline". They will then ask you a few difficult questions that you will get wrong, and compare the responses. This is how they determine if you are a potential fraud. In a sense there is no point in preparing for interview because they will simply keep asking harder questions until you get one "wrong" so they can test your response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure