Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,937Posts
    • 83,225Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 117
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 19th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    pattypan4
    yes I should have done the same last night, I put nothing on my face, was too tired. This morning I used spf 50 moisturiser and that is all. I went the whole hog with elemis when it arrived, eyes, skin, neck, two things on skin. Yes my skin felt nice but it was too much for me, going from ziltch to overkill. However it will be particularly nice to use going into winter

Right now I have almost finished the heavy physical work here, I will be able to throw out some tops and trousers and make a gradual easy transition to nice trousers, skirts and dresses. Hands are not too bad, I have been careful to wear gloves for most jobs

You have to smile, always but always when decorating one room, the overspill makes the rest of the house messy. Will definitely be worth it
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Sep 19, 6:55 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 23,728 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a lovely time with my friends. The food was very healthy as well and there wasn't even any alcohol served there! I had to drink sparkling water. They did have mocktails but I didn't see the point of spending that amount of money on a drink if there wasn't any booze involved.

I was too tired last night when I got in to take off my make-up. I will have to do a face pack later. I just had a hot bath with lavender oil as it is actually quite chilly here today.

I have booked my flu jab at Boots on Monday. I am going to look around the charity shops again and see if they are any better than last time.

I tried on all my clothes the other day and there were some I left to one side as they were too tight. They nearly almost fit now so I want to make sure I can fit into them in the next few weeks if I lose a few more pounds. I've got another concert at the start of October.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Sep 19, 7:40 AM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies

It's a bit quiet on here. Hope you are all busy fabbing.

Sounds like you are doing well Wednesday, glad you had a nice time with your friends.

Chilly here too this morning but Its lovely sitting in my sunny bay window with my coffee, it's going to be nice again today. Got my aunts funeral this afternoon so no decorating today. Tbh I need a break. I'm tired. I shall take tomorrow off as well and do something nice. No point flogging myself to death. It will get done all in good time.

One of the reasons why it is taking so long is that we are insulating as we go. I'm trying something called Walrock, a thick insulating lining wallpaper, which we are applying to the outside walls. House built 1935, No cavity, no insulation, laminate floors - Brrrr!!

It's a devil to put up and my son is struggling a bit but he's getting there. It does seem to make a difference though, already the finished wall seems warmer to the touch. I have also bought a large thick rug so that should make a big difference too. Hopefully it should all be finished by the end of next week. The new windows go in at the end of October. All these measures should make my chilly bedroom warm and cosy.

Everywhere is in chaos at the moment and I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by the mess and clutter but it can't be helped. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm afraid both my fabbing routines and my healthy eating have fallen by the wayside a bit this last few days. Never mind normal service will be resumed soon.

I will be installing another fitted wardrobe in my bedroom, so I will have lots of lovely storage. Really looking forward to getting everything ship shape. Im afraid I don't really function very well when my home is a mess so I shall feel much happier when I can get stuck in and get everywhere tidy again. As I get everything organised again I am going to have the mother of decluttering sessions.

Loving the gorgeous weather. At least I can throw the windows open to dissipate the paint fumes.....lol.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 20th Sep 19, 8:58 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy Fab Friday everyone

Wednesday it sounds like you had fun with your friends.

Lessons as you know, not cutting corners on your refurbishments will pay dividends in the long run (even though its painful at the time). Ditto Patty.

Not much to report in Chanie-land. Lovely and sunny in London today. I'm wearing a summer dress and I suspect it will probably be the last time this year, as I'm sure we are on borrowed time with the weather anyway.
    2019 savings on purchases £3847.55
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Sep 19, 11:50 AM
    • 20,489 Posts
    • 121,963 Thanks
    maman
    Another glorious day here too. sadly, it could be the last so WM has been on to get things out on the line. I'll miss that when we have to dry indoors.

Still enjoying the novelty of our lovely, new bathroom. I've been using muslins to wash my face for some time now and decided mine were too scruffy for the new surroundings. I looked in Home Bargains but they don't seem to stock them any more. Yesterday in Aldi they had baby muslins and I picked up a 'unisex' pack in grey and white: one grey, one white and one grey pattern on white background. They're huge of course so I'll probably cut them in four and enjoy hand sewing the hems when I'm listening to the tv/radio. Quite mse too for £2.99 a pack.

Not much else going on. I've had a busy week but think I should make an effort to get out today to enjoy the sunshine. I'll see how I feel after lunch.

ETA : we had our walk and it was lovely to get out. Near here is a large, listed house that belongs to the University and the grounds are an activity centre. We wandered round the grounds (Cabability Brown designed) and watched people canoeing on the lake and fishing in the salmon pond. So pleased we made the effort.
    Last edited by maman; Yesterday at 4:02 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 21st Sep 19, 8:56 PM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just dropping by ......

After a hectic week it was my aunts funeral yesterday....(my dad's sister) She was a lovely lady, always very kind to me and I was very fond of her. She had a long and interesting life, dying at the grand old age of 94. She wasn't rich by any means but she was always very elegant, she loved clothes and always wore make up, perfume and jewellery. She dressed up every day. She loved the cinema and all the old glamorous movie stars. She may not have had much spare cash but she certainly had plenty of dash.......she gave them a run for their money.

Quite a role model for fabbers.........

It was lovely to see some of my cousins but rather sobering to see how many of those have died early or who have debilitating illness.

It's strange but it has given me a lot of food for thought this last few days......i find it all rather baffling.

Both my aunt and my dad were the two eldest members of the family and they lived the longest and remained generally stronger, fitter and healthier far longer than their younger siblings. There were 10 of them in all and they outlived all but one.....the youngest, "the baby" who although he's a good deal younger is far less healthy than they were at his age,

The same thing seems to be happening with the cousins.........the next generation down. I am the second oldest of the cousins and remain hale and hearty whilst many of the younger ones have fallen by the wayside. And, with only a couple of exceptions, most of those who are still alive are not ageing terribly well.

The science of ageing is something that truly fascinates me and whilst I realise that genetics do have a significant role to play I am more and more inclined to believe that lifestyle is equally if not more important.

Ladies......I think "fabbing" is part of a wider initiative and a much bigger picture than mere "beautifying". I have come to see it as a lifestyle choice which will enhance our later years and hopefully keep us healthier for longer.

So the message is loud and clear.......keeeeep fabbing.

Had the day off today....took DILs mum out to lunch - had a slap up Italian meal and then went to see Downton Abbey. It was glorious, I absolutely loved it. 10/10
    Last edited by lessonlearned; Yesterday at 9:25 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Well it's back to the grindstone this week. Hopefully one last final push will see the bedroom done. Going to pick up a paintbrush in a minute. Getting very fed up with it all now.

Tbh I can't stand the chaos but I keep telling myself it will be so worth it when I have a fit for purpose elegant bedroom, which together with my "dressing room" will give me so much storage....no excuse for mess and clutter, especially as I intend to do another MK style declutter.

Watched the Minimalism AD documentary again last week. I don't think I would want to go that far......I do like "cosy" and pure minimalism always strikes me as a bit stark but I think I can definitely get rid of more "stuff".

Did anyone see the documentary called the True Cost of Fashion (or something like that). I have seen one or two of those types of programmes recently. Apparently at the rate we are going, if we don't ease up then by 2050 clothing manufacture will account for 50% of all carbon emissions. That's staggering. Also apparently the U.K. spends more than any other country on clothes. Ironic then that, all participants in this thread excepted of course I think we are also probably one of the worst dressed countries.

Certainly when I was in town yesterday I noticed that most people walk around looking like tramps, with zero sense of style. Most of them just looked a mess - the younger women just looked cheap versions of footballers wives whilst the middle aged and older ones just looked either bland and boring or like bag ladies. As for the men........least said, soonest mended.

Ooh I do sound horrible and b I t c h y don't I.

But....I just can't square the circle. If the U.K. is spending so much on clothes why don't people look better.

When you look at old photos of our cities and towns the people in those photos looked so much better dressed, some of the women in particular were really glamourous, in their hats, gloves, full make up. Even through the depression of the 30s, the war years and the post war austerity years of the 50s and early 60s people did seem better turned out. And yet clothes were far more expensive in relation to wages than they are now.

I'm not suggesting we all need to wear hats again although I confess I do like to see people in a nice hat but they don't really suit me but it seems a shame people don't dress up more.

Smart casual is a great look when we get it right but there seems to be a huge margin for error. It can be relaxed and comfortable and still be stylish but oh dear so many people do seem to get it so badly wrong.

Weather has broken here. Builder was supposed to be coming today but apparently we're in for a deluge this afternoon. Oh well, the Indian Summer was lovely whilst it lasted.

I suppose that's it now.

Winter Is Coming!!!
    Last edited by lessonlearned; Today at 9:40 AM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 22nd Sep 19, 9:50 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 12,441 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went out on Friday night to the pub for a night of dancing, but it was not as good as I was expecting, so I left at 11.15pm, as I knew I needed to get up early Saturday morning

I went to my older daughter's house on Saturday to celebrate my oldest granddaughter's 18th birthday. We all had such a good time together watching the joy and delight that my granddaughter felt as she opened all of her presents surrounded by her immediate family.

My daughter had cooked lots of southern fried chicken and very large hoisin barbecue ribs with chicken, chorizo and vegetable skewers with mixed salad and coleslaw. My daughter had cooked far too much chicken and ribs. Everyone ate their fill and there was so much food left over. I brought home 4 pieces of southern fried chicken and 3 slices of the red velvet birthday cake. I will enjoy eating my slice of cake later today with a cup of tea.

My younger son is going back to his university accommodation later today but it has been lovely having him at home, talking to him and looking after him
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Sep 19, 11:20 AM
    • 20,489 Posts
    • 121,963 Thanks
    maman
    I do love hearing about your family get togethers sugarbaby. You're so caring of each other and certainly know how to celebrate.

....and then went to see Downton Abbey. It was glorious, I absolutely loved it. 10/10
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    That's what we're planning to do today. It's such a change in the weather and I just didn't fancy staying indoors looking out at the rain! DH doesn't really fancy it. It's not his thing and he's never watched the series but he said he'd come just to please me. True Love!

As you know, I do a fair bit of people watching and I agree there are some very scruffy people around LL. I think that's partly because of buying disposable cheap clothes which don't wear well and smart casual taken way to far! But it can look strange the other way too. I see some older women wearing stuff that's probably years old and good quality but far too formal for the occasion. I'm thinking of people who look too neat IYSWIM. Often it's a tailored jacket that looks if it might have come from a skirt suit or a pair of court shoes with tights/pop socks underneath (usually far too short) trousers.

One of the things I enjoy is browsing either in the shops or fashion pages and noting the things that are in fashion that I already have in my wardrobe or the simple tricks with accessories that can make something look up to date. I'm not a slavish follower of fashion but I like to be aware of current trends. Some are just not for me (ripped jeans? cold shoulder tops?) but other things can be adapted to suit. Probably one of my best buys last year was the long Zara shirt dress. It's great on its own or worn as a sort of coat with leggings underneath. I love it and there are heaps of them around this year so that'll be a second season for it.

Interesting article in my paper today. They do a weekly column where they interview a 'celebrity' about their finances. Today it's one of the women who won Eurovision with Bucks Fizz. She's now 58 and they have a 'new' band just called Fizz with 3 former members. Like many faded pop stars she's not done a lot of note just a fairly normal life. As you'd expect it's a bit superficial/shallow and designed to promote a tour coming up. Two things struck me. When asked what her extravagances were she said she spent about £1000 a year on herself and that included treatments, make up and clothes including stage clothes. I did some quick mental maths and decided I probably spend far more than that. The second thing shock was that she's been adopted as a parliamentary candidate for Kensington.

Hope you're all managing to stay dry and happy.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Sep 19, 12:05 PM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Not sure if it's the same person but my son went to university with the son of one of the ladies from Bucks Fizz. He met her a couple of times. Said she seemed nice and in his words "normal". As I say it might not be the same one but his friends mum dabbled in property development once she had given up on the pop business.

If her budget is truly £1k then she's doing very well. I don't spend nearly that but then again I'm a trained therapist and can do most of my own treatments. I would say my biggest single expense is my hair but because I no longer have it coloured nowadays it really only boils down to a cut. That's why I have upgraded and gone to a better hairdresser. I feel I can justify the extra. It's certainly paying off, I get a lot of compliments about my hair now.

I'm not quite sure I would count massages as beauty treatments, without them I would seize up so I'll class them as "medical expenses"

A lot of the old 80s pop stars are still quietly doing the rounds, reforming and releasing new music. Good for them. I bet they probably enjoy it more second time round. They are more mature and are probably managing to keep their feet on the ground, staying away from drugs and booze and maintaining a healthier lifestyle whilst on tour.

Since I've started getting out and about more I have been pleasantly surprised to see just how many older people are out there making music, not necessarily famous former stars but just ordinary folk, retired from the day job and having fun.

Sometimes I wished I could still sing......I used to have a reasonable voice and I suppose I could train it but tbh I am just too scared. SUgarbaby I admire you so much for being able to get up on stage - I just couldn't do it now. I did it when I was younger but I was so nervous I used to throw up. I needed a few stiff drinks inside me to even try. I am ok in a choir but solo is not for me.

If I could do it I would sign up for a cruise ship and travel whilst singing for my supper. Wouldn't that be fab.......... Alas my voice just isn't good enough or I would do it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of massages I'm a mass of aches and pains. Just having a break for a cuppa - really struggling with the diy at the moment. Never mind it will be worth it.....apart from the money I'm saving by doing so much myself I do actually enjoy it (in a masochistic sort of way) and I do get a tremendous glow of satisfaction that I can still do it. Pride in the job and all that. It's nice to step back and think "I did that".

No real rain yet and not especially cold, just dull and blah.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    ripped jeans......what the actual and they don't come cheap either do they. No, don't get it myself.

I have noticed some nice brightly coloured coats in the shops this year. And very reasonably priced. I do love these rich jewel colours that are around, both in clothing and home wares.

Now although I think a "good" coat is an investment piece I think if you are going for a fashionable colour that you might only wear for a season or two then a cheaper coat is fine.

Last year I bought a forest green "teddy bear" coat one from Asda, in a sort of boucle fabric, not pure wool, only a polyester mix. It was only £35. I really liked it and I got loads of compliments about it. I was tempted to get rid because it is actually a bit big now that I have lost weight but I have decided I will keep it for now. It still looks good and if I wore it over a big chunky knit sweater it wouldn't look too big. I wore it a lot last year so on a cost per wear basis it owes me nothing.

One of the things that came out in the fashion programme is just how much of our clothing is made from plastic, which means it's virtually indestructible. The fibres will never break down. If they go into landfill they leach into the water tables and then the oceans. And of course every time we wash our polyester clothes some of the fibres ended up in the waste water.

Luckily some companies are now experimenting with cast off clothing to turn it into insulation materials. At least it would reduce the amount that goes into landfill.

Just as an aside.....apparently it takes over 2 thousand litres of water to manufacture 1 tee shirt. I have to confess I had no idea..

The environmental cost to fast fashion is truly staggering and that's without looking at the ethics of sweat shops, bonded labour, health and safety and the exploitation of both humans and animals.

I don't have any answers but it is something that has really got me thinking. At least I feel that by looking after my clothes properly and not trashing them, by buying pre loved where possible and then donating my unwanted clothing to chazzers I am at least trying not to make matters worse.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; Today at 12:34 PM.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Sep 19, 4:30 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    chanie
    I just googled the lady from Bucks Fizz. I barely remember them as I was quite young when they were at the height of their fame. I was initially surprised to learn that the lady in question only spent £1000 a year, but as many of the lovely ladies on this thread have demonstrated, it is possible to look good in a budget. She sounds quite savvy, so she could be a brilliant bargain hunter.

Sugar your family meal sounds yummy.

Lessons sorry to hear about your aunt. I love that she was also a fabber!!
    Last edited by chanie; Today at 5:29 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Sep 19, 7:29 PM
    • 20,489 Posts
    • 121,963 Thanks
    maman
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Downton movie and so did DH. It was a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon (we went to a 3 pm performance) and the plot was easy and the clothes and interiors very easy on the eye. Undemanding and relaxing, what I look for in entertainment.

I noticed from the trailers that ITV have a new period drama coming up. IIRC it's called Belgravia.

I've decided to give up on Sanditon. It's moved so far from Jane Austen that now it's just becoming sex in bonnets!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Sep 19, 7:54 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    chanie
    sex in bonnets!
    Originally posted by maman
    Donít the bonnets get in the way? (laughs at own joke)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Sep 19, 8:17 PM
    • 11,937 Posts
    • 83,225 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Donít the bonnets get in the way? (laughs at own joke)
    Originally posted by chanie

Sort of half watching it now. It's certainly a long way from Jane Austen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,754Posts Today

7,316Users online

Martin's Twitter