Green Network Energy Reviews: Add your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    apnorf wrote: »
    A few months ago I had a letter from GNE saying they were increasing my DD from £136 p/m to £177 p/m. I rang them to complain. I had usage figures for several past years. My argument was that they had reviewed my GAS usage based over the six WINTER months and that they should not estimate that I would use the same quantity over the Summer months. Their Winter month consumption figures were in line with past records @ about 127KwH per day but my Summer usage was about 40KwH per day (as it has proved to be in reality). The young bloke accepted this and my DD was not changed. If you give them your expected annual usage when signing up it is those figures they should stick to and averaging out after a period of less than a full year is bound to give false impressions. If they had reviewed over the Summer months maybe they would have reduce my DD but I would have still contacted them to maintain the set DD level as it works over a full year. This is not the reason I am moving to another supplier , my move is purely about cheaper prices available elsewhere.
    Thanks for that, so they seem no different to other suppliers then. Having a deficit over winter costs them so they try to offset, which you can understand, but why say the idea of spreading the DD over 12 months is the aim to break even at the end but then hike it up under the pretense of breaking even 6 months after your fix has ended.

I'm grateful for your experience, 80% of my annual gas use is over 4 months in winter, the remaining 8 months I only use 20% - suppliers often seem to be reluctant to accept it!
  • I have moved many times and not had this issue. They have accepted the usage given by MSE on transfer and my readings, so a DD has been set that is more or less right on a year. This year, as last, slightly over and I am at present in surplus.

My gas usage is 95% in winter.

I too am moving away from present supplier on price, not on any other issues with them.

But I like to have a DD that remains constant and is not seasonally adjusted. I don't mind if that is a little over the top, but it helps my accounts to have the same and after all companies want us to pay by DD and many give discounts for doing so. It must, therefore, be better for them to collect this way.

Still thinking.
  • mysaffron4me
    mysaffron4me Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2019 at 3:20PM
    I switched to Green Network Energy via MSE Energy Club on 2 ZAugust as I am moving to another property on 1 September. However, I have had emails from GNE saying that I was switched on 23 August, and asking for a meter reading even though I've not yet moved. I've emailed GNE several times explaining that I haven't even set foot in the new house. GNE has also taken money from my account.
    I had a long and frustrating phone call with someone who seemed unable to understand my situation or explain why I was being charged from 23 August. He then told me that the fault was with the MSE Cheap Energy Club, that I should complain to MSE who should take the issue up with GNE.
    This means that my switch at my new rental property has been completed 1 week before I move in and that my landlady is now using energy for which I am paying. In addition, I am STILL paying my oldc supplier, Scot Power, forthe energy I am using here! I don't know how to resolve this situation and am furious.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have switched to not the current property ??
    Thats not how it works and looks like why confusion .

Rules are you move to new property and then contact the existing supplier as you are in a deemed contract with them .
    Register with the existing supplier and you are then free to move .
  • dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Im having the most awful problems with these cowboys!! A sham of a company! 6 months ago I transferred away from British Gas to Green Network Energy. I signed all the paperwork, theyve been taking my money each month etc...

Turns out they messed up the transfer and NEVER actually transferred me away from Bristish Gas!! Im now liable to pay 6 months worth of BG higly inflated prices!!
  • I've just switched away from GNE. (They were the default supplier when I moved to a new address). Definitely not the cheapest in my area and their website is pretty useless, not even an option to pay by debit/credit card, it all has to be done by bank transfer. Not impressed and wouldn't use them again.
  • dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Rabbit24 wrote: »
    I've just switched away from GNE. (They were the default supplier when I moved to a new address). Definitely not the cheapest in my area and their website is pretty useless, not even an option to pay by debit/credit card, it all has to be done by bank transfer. Not impressed and wouldn't use them again.

Who did you switch to? Bulb seem quite good (ie cheap). My 'deal' with GNE (which turned out to be entirely bogus) was 14.810p/kWh.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have 2 accounts with these jokers. One with my partner and the other at the house my ex lives in.
    Direct debit is always on the high side, even though I am £500 in credit on one account. I asked for a refund or considerable reduction in DD, denied but no reason given. Quite bizarre realy. Are they aware of OFgen?
    So account closed as the fixed price was up for renewal anyway.
    They take a direct debit the day you sign up or very shortly after, not once your switch has occured. So you can end up with 3 bills/direct debits - a normal one and final bill from your original suplier and one from GNE, all in the same month. This ISNT made clear when you apply.
    Customer services don't apear to respond to emails (difficult to find an addy anyway) and seem a bit clueless on the telephone.

I'm so glad there is now a time limit on refunds after switching as I suspect I would have ben waiting a long time.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • maxcy
    maxcy Posts: 46 Forumite
    JPears wrote: »
    I have 2 accounts with these jokers.
    One with my partner and the other at the house my ex lives in.
    Direct debit is always on the high side, even though I am £500 in credit on one account. I asked for a refund or considerable reduction in DD, denied but no reason given. Quite bizarre realy. Are they aware of OFgen?

Are you aware of the MSE article on this situation? Or even the suppliers complaint procedure to be followed in case you have any cause for complaint?
    So account closed as the fixed price was up for renewal anyway.
    What, both avvounts? What a coincidence?

Anyway, that would explain why you are not being refunded just yet. They will now wait until they have produced your final bill, as any other supplier will (or at least should) do.
    They take a direct debit the day you sign up or very shortly after, not once your switch has occured. So you can end up with 3 bills/direct debits - a normal one and final bill from your original suplier and one from GNE, all in the same month. This ISNT made clear when you apply.

Their website is quite clear. They take the first payment on the day you actually switch, not the day you apply. You cannot change that, but you can request a change to the date of your subsequent, regular monthly payments. :)

To be fair, GNE cannot control how your previous supplier may act in regards to their own payment collections.
  • Disappointing. Within 6 months of switching they'd jacked up my variable tariff by £20 a month although I was still in credit. A cursory email only informed me 'the details of [my] direct debit' were changing, I had to open up an attached pdf to reveal that this change was of course the tariff going up, almost as though they didn't have the decency to say in plain English what they were doing. Maybe this is standard practice but I thought it was poor. Customer service not very good, when I phoned up to ask why it was going up as my account was still in credit, they said they could only give me this information if I supplied a new meter reading, even though I had supplied one just a few days earlier. One of the main selling points on their website is that they "have a bi-lingual Customer Care team who can look after customers in Italian or English". That's great I suppose if you're Italian but it seems a strange USP! I certainly wouldn't recommend them, and I'm going to switch again as even with the £50 exit fee I'll be better off in no time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback