First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2019 at 8:26PM
    Options
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We travel light these days with just a rucksack each. Thanks - I've been caught out with transfers before, finding out how easy & cheap it would be to do myself once I got there.

Google maps and rome2rio are good resources to plan routes. Google maps will even show Uber estimates.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    A 7 day unlimited ride card covering the subway and buses costs $32

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

The AirTrain from the Airport to the Subway costs $5 each time

Google Maps is great for route planning.

If you do go into Manhattan by Subway - and I would - then you need to buy an AirTrain ticket at Jamaica Station before leaving the AirTrain system. There will be a huge queue of people who don't know what they are doing trying to buy AirTrain cards from the ticket machines. Go to the Hudson News Kiosk to the left of the ticket gates and buy your Air Train tickets there. $5 each, cash.

At the Subway station (two minutes walk, the two stations connect), you can use a credit card to buy subway tickets or passes from the machines. Use Zip Code 99999 if you are using a credit card.

If this is you first visit to NYC, it might be worth getting a cab for the view of Manhattan. There is a fixed fare system for taxis to and from the airports. JFK to Manhattan is $52 plus tolls and tips, and a peak hour surcharge. You would be looking $75 for a taxi.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/taxi-fare.page
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    Need some help with which area to stay in... 2 adults in our forties, 16th-21st Sept 2019...
    We've been looking at booking.com and prices in central NY seem a lot! We're happy to use the subway to get about. Budget wise, £200 / night is probably as far as we'd go...
    Are we better off booking a package?
    Thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Years ago, we stayed in Tribeca, at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Unable to comment on packages etc, but as an area, we found it very accessible.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • rpstdavids
    rpstdavids Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Years ago, we stayed in Tribeca, at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Unable to comment on packages etc, but as an area, we found it very accessible.

Also stayed at the Cosmopolitan a few years ago. Nice boutique style hotel, and a short walk to the World Trade Centre.

The hotel has recently changed its name, and is now known as 'The Frederick Hotel'.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone know what happened to M4RKM who instigated this particular thread and used to contribute frequently?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Vanessaanderson
    Options
    Hi Dears,

I am new here. All the information are very nice.

Keep it up!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to M4RKM who instigated this particular thread and used to contribute frequently?
    Unsure . knowledgeable lad who knew NYC . He used to be around tripadvisor too (I think) people move around place and drop their hat where they feel at home . would be nice to hear from him . Around the time he stopped posting there were a lot of repetitive posts . Some are still here because it shows up on the userCP . I haven't been to NYC since 2012 but happy to try and help .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Back in 2011 I moved from Wakefield to London, and then my life changed. so much so, i didn't have the time to post on here, TA was a bit more less tourist NYC centric, and was good to talk about Brooklyn rather than the same questions again and again.

Have I been back to NYC - yeah, I still go often, probably once every 2 years now, and I was there back in March for my 40th. I went to Manhattan twice in the 4 night stay, with most of my time spent in Brooklyn and Queens.

I've been to other cities in the US too. San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago.... The latter i'm heading to in March again.

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport