Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jfjf wrote: »
    None of the online brokers will give me a quote as I've had two claims in the past three years, and the one company I phoned wouldn't provide a quote as both were for flood related incidents (internal flooding, not related to any of the big floods of last year - I'm 95m above sea level and 60m above the nearest river!). Should I state that my property wasn't flooded, since one event was a burst pipe and the other a drainage problem that flooded a cellar?

Does anyone have any recommendations for where else I can go for a quote? My existing insurer (Tesco) has quoted £860 which I can't afford, a big increase on last year despite no claims being made in that period. Will anywhere let you forego flood cover to save money?

When you say that you have had internal flooding, what exactly do you mean?
  • sbradnam
    sbradnam Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I continue to be amazed at the low level of contents cover offered as standard by insurance companies (aka assumptions!). I have inventoried my family home and te contents value is way more than the 30-60k you get offered. When I try and put a higher contents level, many companies refuse to cover.....the apparant exception? M&S who have unlimited contents and buildings as standard. I have not switched, cos it is not time....anyone know of any other such companies? Anyhow - my top tip is take a bit of time to do a basic inventory/valuation of your contents...you will be VERY surprised!!!!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rented house/appartment insurance, which is a good one for that?

For Contents only.
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • minty7
    Options
    While ago, when searching for buildings insurance I came across cover renewable by the month, not having to buy a whole year, but I have lost the details......does anyone know who offers this?
  • denise97
    Options
    Hi

Help....I am emigrating in the next 4 weeks and I will be renting my house for 6 months, does anyone know the best site for landlord insurance please....?

Thanks
  • Seen_the_light_4
    Options
    I have looked at new policies and have come to the same conclusion as Sbradnam and am going to get the M & S contents policy, due to the unlimited level. Even though its more expensive its the piece of mind. The buildings I will be doing on the best quote as this is more straight forward.
  • Homer65
    Options
    For the past few years I have been using Saga Home Insurance.
    I was always re-assured by the "Saga Guarantee We'll beat that price"
    on the renewal form. Foolishly, I never put it to the test.
    This year before renewing I read the advice on this site and visited the comparison websites from a link on moneysavingexpert.com.:T

There I found quotes, for similar cover and benefits, from AA Insurance and Barclays that was between £400-£500 cheaper! When I phoned Saga to see if I was missing something I was told "sorry there is no way we can get near that price. Some companies give special deals to get new customers".

Lesson: Loyalty is not rewarded. Shop around.
  • martinlewisfanclub
    Options
    Noticed that Saga's standard cover for contents insurance is offered with a standard sum insured of £50,000.
    It's not clear that you can enter a lower amount although a higher option is!

At first I thought it was a generous amount so my MIL would be well covered. But knowing she only needs cover of approx £28,000 (MSE's helpful calculator link), I typed that in. It reduced the premium (as of course it should).
    Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else gets a bit weary comparing sites and forgets to look at all the small details.

ps I've manged to reduce her Direct Line quote from £409 to £91 with Saga and she can pay in monthly instalments at no extra charge. It's not like for like but I feel with no claims ever, she can forgoe the added extras and the £318 savings, should cover her should she lose her specs outside!
  • martinlewisfanclub
    Options
    sbradnam wrote: »
    I continue to be amazed at the low level of contents cover offered as standard by insurance companies (aka assumptions!). I have inventoried my family home and te contents value is way more than the 30-60k you get offered. When I try and put a higher contents level, many companies refuse to cover.....the apparant exception? M&S who have unlimited contents and buildings as standard. I have not switched, cos it is not time....anyone know of any other such companies? Anyhow - my top tip is take a bit of time to do a basic inventory/valuation of your contents...you will be VERY surprised!!!!
    Saga for the over 50s do up to £99,999
    ps: Remember you don't have to go right up to £99,999 with SAGA, obviously, and will save by stopping at your optimum level. Perhaps you should check that M&S's premiums for the "unlimited" isn't higher than if you type in a lower amount. (I haven't looked at their site so apologies if it's obvious that you can't type in a lower amount)
    pps: I recommend the MSE link to the contents calculator it is very helpful and can be amend up or down for each room.
  • pookey
    pookey Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi
    I dont know if this is in the right place but does anybody know which insurance companies insure houses with subsidance? I've just got my renewal with norwich union and its £381.00. I've tried looking for other companies but they all say that they dont deal with houses with subsidance. I claimed for the subsidance with norwich union 3 years ago and so i have stayed with them since as I havent been able to find another insurance company. The only other company I found was M & S who quoted £645.00 which is totally out of the running. Anyway please let me know if anybody knows anything.

Thanks a lot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure