Income protection insurance

Seeking a combined policy. Was quoted £24 via a broker until full application.

I disclosed muscular back pain because I have been to the GP and was referred to an NHS chiropractor. No treatment was ever given it was just a consultation because they contacted me 6 months after I went to the GP by which time I had paid for various deep tissue treatments and improved the problem.

As a result the premium has increased to £30pcm and now excludes any back related claims in the next 25 years

I queried if I were in a car accident or whatever and injured/broke my back and they have said I wouldn't be covered despite this being completely unrelated.

To be clear I have never had surgery, a day off work or any diagnosis. But I have had this problem since I was 15, it is muscular and a GP would disclose a visit and referral in the last 5 years which is why I declared it.

Does the exclusion seem extreme or the norm?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Does the exclusion seem extreme or the norm?
    Back injuries are one of the biggest claims reasons. It is normal for the clauses to be stronger when it comes to back injuries.

However, your broker should be answering these questions and considering calling around the underwriters to see if different ones take a different view. IFAs/whole of market protection advisers can do this without you needing to submit an application and having to declare a rejection or adjustment irrespective of the reason. So, go back to the IFA/adviser and ask them what they think.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,432
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks. I have asked them to revisit the various options again. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable in asking them to do this.

I completely understand a higher premium for a higher risk of claim & wouldn't mind that. However if there is no option to claim then it doesn't make sense to me to raise the premium (it's by 50% minus £2 to take into consideration the exclusion)

I know it's hardly a massive amount but that's not the point :)
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The higher premium is unlikely to be due to the back issue. An insurer wouldn't exclude something from the plan AND increase the premium due to it.

Exclusions are normally worded in a manner that means that claims arising from them are excluded no matter what the cause, however, many insurers will look at the reason for a claim and *may* still pay out on an excluded issue IF the reason for incapacity can be proven to have nothing to do with the existing issue. Many insurers have exclusion statements relating to this, if you ask about it.

Based on what you have said and due to the recent nature of the back problem, I think it would be standard practice for every insurer to place a back exclusion on the plan.
  • It's always worth asking if there is a different provider that will provide cover and compare the costs and whether they would exclude. Your insurance broker should really compare these and be taking your GP information before quoting you. All accurate quotes are based on health and the age of the individual as well as lifestyle factors and they cannot give you a real price until they understand your conditions.

It is normal to provide an exclusion, but there are other providers that may be able to offer a shorter term AND cover if injury would be due to an unrelated issue. i.e. accident cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure