Car Insurance HELP PLEASE!!!!

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jimmandon wrote: »
    Well I quickly recalculated on third party quote sites. They came in at £1400 and Hastings wasn't an option which means they must have blocked me from third party sites like compare the market.
    Are you suggesting that Hastings have somehow gained control of which websites you're allowed to access and use? That is real tinfoil hat stuff.

I'm with the others on this. Complete nonsense. More holes than a colander.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Isn't it strange, a few days after DM accidentally outs his latest aka a totally improbable story gets posted by a new poster.

ETA And yes, I did notice that Car 54 got in first :)
  • Jimmandon
    Jimmandon Posts: 10 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I thought it was just a bumper graze?
    It was just a bumper graze. Initially i was told the third party wasn't insured so MY insurance company wouldn't chase it any further, they told me I had to call the police myself so that I could confirm whether the driver was insured or not, turns out he was. I informed Hastings of this and they spoke to me like I was from a different planet telling them information they already knew. Initially I wasn't making a claim as the damage was minimal, but I was told that the third party was making a claim against me, so I did the same out of principle of right and wrong. Then I was told he no longer wishes to claim but isn't accepting liability. But I am now being forced to continue with the claim because apparently it can't be closed. Never at any point is this me trying to do anyone over or cut corners, just do the right thing.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    they spoke to me like I was from a different planet
    Good grief, that's shocking. I'm off to lie down.
  • Jimmandon
    Isn't it strange, a few days after DM accidentally outs his latest aka a totally improbable story gets posted by a new poster.

ETA And yes, I did notice that Car 54 got in first :)

Obviously you guys have a community together here, I am a new poster and have just registered today. If you are so experience on this site, why make out a genuine story is false because of another thread you have been involved in prior?

I didn't come here for conspiracy theories lol I came here for advice if possible.
  • Jimmandon
    Good grief, that's shocking. I'm off to lie down.

Wow how sad that you find the time to be so condesending to someone who came here merely for some help on the matter and yet you call bull**** on the story. Me coming on here to lie to strangers is not going to help me in any way shape or form. I am suggesting that after Hastings cancelled my policy, they did not appear on 2 other price comparison sites, so I can only assume they removed their services to my registration plate. They all work off the same data base essentially?

You seem like a full on keyboard warrior with nothing better to do with your time than troll people of forums that have come here with positive intentions. That type of behaviour usually derives from a lack of understanding of your inner sadness so you manifest it in the land of Qwerty keys.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    You seem like a full on keyboard warrior with nothing better to do with your time than troll people of forums that have come here with positive intentions. That type of behaviour usually derives from a lack of understanding of your inner sadness so you manifest it in the land of Qwerty keys.
    Boo hoo.

If the cap fits...
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Hello all. My good friend has pointed me to this site as he said the community on here are really helpful.

I feel like my car insurance company have completely had me over. Long story short a third party driver reversed into my car only causing minor damage but he quickly realised he could spin it and say I drove into the back of him, he had no tail lights and no indication for his reverse manoeuvre. He is only insured third party fire and theft, he is not seeking to claim against me but isn't admitting liability. So here is what a find absolutely ridiculous.

I drive an average car 07 Astra i'm 30 years old and have been driving for 12 years with no motoring offences and pay around £1100 per year for car insurance with 3yrs no claims bonus. So because the person who reversed into me is not accepting liability, it has to be marked down on my policy with Hastings Direct as a fault of mine, which in turn means I lose my no claims bonus. All of a sudden I receive a text from them saying your policy has been cancelled. I contacted them to ask why and they stated "because you are making a claim it has to be marked as a fault on your policy so you lose your no claims bonus and then we recalculate your premium and if it is over £1000 we automatically cancel your policy". So then I was stuck at work with my vehicle and no car insurance, To start a new policy that day i was looking at over £2000 for the year. £2000, i'm paying even more than I did when I was 18 and a new driver. I had no choice so I had to fork out £198 for the first month of a new policy. In now way shape or form did Hastings try to meet my needs as a customer, it was just their way or the highway.

I asked Hastings if I could withdraw my claim so that my no claims bonus can be reinstated, as the damage to my car is only a bumper graze and the only reason I chose to make a claim was down to principle. My premium had gone up anyway because of this incident. They said I could not now withdraw my claim and there is every possibility I may not get my no claims bonus back. I also have to pay £325 excess to get my bumper polished.

So as a summary, you pay car insurance but when someone crashes into you, your insurance company cancels your policy. Any advice here on how to tackle this would be hugely appreciate.

Thanks in advance to you all.

Something doesn't sound right here, for a start you can cancel your claim whenever you want to up until you cash the cheque.

For another why are you claiming on your insurance?

How long was left on your insurance for an increased premium of 100%??
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A few quick points;

1/ You were paying £1100 with 3yrs NCB but you say they won't cover premiums over £1000

2/ Insurers cannot cancel a policy instantly with just a text message

3/ Hastings (or you) could check instantly if the other vehicle was insured (askmid) - no need for the police

4/ If a claim happens mid-term Hastings do not recalculate the annual premium there and then - only at renewal

I could go on, but these few alone scream BS.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are two possibilities here.

Option one as already suggested op is a troll with a made up story.

Option two op is only giving half the facts and has had his policy cancelled due to non disclose of material facts. Most insurers will look at non disclosures and decide if they would have still provided cover at a reasonable price. Many insurers use 100% increase in premium as a reason for avoidance of the policy. In this situation the policy holder has already shown a willingness to mislead his insurer so they assume the tp will claim and the policy holder will be found at fault so they rightly refuse to allow the claim to be withdrawn.

I really hope for the op sake it is option one because option two will be very expensive when op starts to accurately answer the question "have you ever had insurance refused or withdrawn" those quotes of £2000 will feel like a bargain.

Finally some insurers are able to block quotes for certain people using various parameters such as name and address if they have voided a policy, they don't want the person coming back for a new policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure