MSE News: TSB offers bank switchers free £125, £5/mth cashback AND 3% interest

Comments

• Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've just tried to set up the TSB account twice and come up with the following error. I'll have to try again later.

We've encountered an error

We're sorry but something has gone wrong and we've had to end your session.
    If you were in the middle of doing something such as applying for a credit card, you'll need to start again from the beginning.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    molly57. wrote: »
    Can I set up a direct debit to transfer money from one bank to another or does it have to be between myself and a company?
    Yes you can, and no it doesn't.

True, but in very limited circumstances.

Generally you can't do this but certain banks allow you to fund certain accounts by DD from another account in your name.

Have a read around this board & also the Savings & Investments board;)
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2017 at 2:10PM
    I have asked the Santander CS to move my DD source to my other account in non Santander a/c. Previous it was with Santander 123 lite but because the balance of this account is now very low I asked them to move it to non Santander a/c/

I have been asking this since Last December, and I have been assured by two CS in early January and early February this year that it will be taken from my other non Santander a/c/ but I just checked it yesterday, it is still be taken from my Santander 123. I keep busy transferring money from other a/c to this Santander 123 lite. My credicard is Santander Creditcard and I have spoken to their Santander Creditcard CS.

I keep transferring money to this 123 a/c because I do not want to get mark for mis payment also because I do not just believe to what they are saying. Shall I did not do that I wio be in red and pay penalty for mis-payment.

Those who knows, preferably those who have dealt with Santander for compensation issue, would you please share your knowledge about Santander attitude to rewards compensation for the case like this..
    Thank you for y our time.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had £20 as what was described as a Discretionary Credit from them back in June last year. I can't remember precisely what for! I think it might have been a weakness I had pointed out in the information on their website.

That may not be of any use to you but at least it shows that they do make compensation payments.

Speaking generally I do think it's of use pushing for compensation if you have a good case. In the last year I've had £150 from Barclaycard (two separate issues) and £40 from npower (again two issues).

When you read the financial pages they are littered with reports of huge fines and charges imposed by the authorities on banks (principally) and businesses generally. Why not have a share of it?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    I have asked the Santander CS to move my DD source to my other account in non Santander a/c.
    I can't speak to compensation from Santander but the simple solution to your problem would be to cancel the original DD and advise Santander of the account from which future DD payments should be collected.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has anyone else had this? My account was due to switch Tuesday but it hadn't been. I phoned up "no sorry a technical error occurred" didn't even bother telling me. She put it through again. Wondering if it's a tactic to get out of cashback
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    adindas wrote: »
    I have asked the Santander CS to move my DD source to my other account in non Santander a/c. Previous it was with Santander 123 lite but because the balance of this account is now very low I asked them to move it to non Santander a/c/

I have been asking this since Last December, and I have been assured by two CS in early January and early February this year that it will be taken from my other non Santander a/c/ but I just checked it yesterday, it is still be taken from my Santander 123. I keep busy transferring money from other a/c to this Santander 123 lite. My credicard is Santander Creditcard and I have spoken to their Santander Creditcard CS.

I keep transferring money to this 123 a/c because I do not want to get mark for mis payment also because I do not just believe to what they are saying. Shall I did not do that I wio be in red and pay penalty for mis-payment.

Those who knows, preferably those who have dealt with Santander for compensation issue, would you please share your knowledge about Santander attitude to rewards compensation for the case like this..
    Thank you for y our time.

Can you not change the DD source yourself? I don't have a Santander credit card so can't check.

1) Cancel the existing DD on your credit card which takes money from your Santander current account.

2) Set up a new DD on your Santander credit card to take payment from you chosen new current account

3) Once the DD appears on the new account, delete it from the Santander current account and check that the payment has gone through when due.

I'm not sure why you're asking about compensation, but if you've been told Santander will do something and they haven't, you could lodge a formal complaint.
  • Hi all,

I've just opened this account with TSB but I could do with some help on two issues.

When opening this account I did not see any option to opt for paperless statements etc...?

Secondly, I currently have a help to buy ISA, how will this be transferred across when I close down my existing account?

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Edinns wrote: »
    . . . I've just opened this account with TSB but I could do with some help on two issues. When opening this account I did not see any option to opt for paperless statements etc...?

Secondly, I currently have a help to buy ISA, how will this be transferred across when I close down my existing account? . . .
    If I remember correctly, you set your communication preferences whilst logged-in online.

An ISA is a savings account - not a current account - only your current account will be closed if using the Switching Service.

You may need to make new payment arrangements for the ISA if you currently subscribe from the current account being closed.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Edinns wrote: »
    When opening this account I did not see any option to opt for paperless statements etc...?

The option to go paperless (or reactivate paper statements) is at the bottom of the account statement when logged in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure