PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The MSE Food Waste Challenge Thread

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Have never tried apple and parsnip soup Jackie, only curried parsnip so thanks for that. Will have to give it a try as a change.
  • Think will try jackieO soup as am a veggie and then slow oven the rest too....some for me & some for the birds...Am going to be doing some baking this weekend anyway, so will kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks again....SIL
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Half a pack of green beans which looked very poorly found today, gone off in the green recycling bin. I had been under the weather for a few days and they got missed:eek:, but all the talk of apples made me retrieve 2 large bramleys which OH made ready for stuffed baked apples and duly consumed one for his pudding.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • I'm joining too if that's okay?

I swing between being really good with food waste to throwing out more than I remember buying!! :o

I am going to make some soup today with leftover pumpkin and perhaps some pumpkin muffins - I will chuck into a pan anything else I find in my fridge and make a pasta sauce for tomorrow ;)

Need to do an inventory now and see what needs using up :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 November 2016 at 10:55AM
    Trust me if you haven't tried Parsnip and apple its a treat worth having I had some in a shop a couple of years ago and discovered how delicious it was and went home and bought some parsnips the next day and its my go-to winter soup,especially at this time of the year with so many apples around Great for windfalls, and when Aldi's or Lidls have parsnip offers I am in like flynn :):):)Freezes well and nothing says comfort more than a hot bowl of soup on a cold wet winters day. Cheap as chips to make as well :):):)

Last nights use-it-up for dinner was a small pork chop that I bought Y/S, two for 1.10p.Used one of them and cooked it in flour egg and dried stuffing mix in a shallow frying pan along with a couple of slices of haloumi cheese and some quartered mushrooms.added it to a small lettuce,tomato & cucumber salad and it was delicious.Total cost for the meal was
    Chop 60p
    Mushrooms 5p (reduced in a small bag from the supermarket 20p)
    Half a tin of beans 15p
    cheesy mashed spuds 10p
    Cabbage 5p
    around 95p the lot

Tonight I have a portion of the cottage pie I made on Wednesday made from left over lamb, minced up with some mixed veg and topped with beans and cheesy mashed potato.I will probably add some steamed sweetheart cabbage as I bought a good sized on this week for only 50p I have the cabbage wrapped in tin foil in the fridge and cut off only enough for what I need and then rewrap it .no wastage at all
    Total cost for this meal would probably be

Left over lamb (free from DD)
    Cheesey mash 10p (left over from last night as I made a little extra)
    Mixed veg (frozen from freezer bag 15p
    the other half tin of beans 15p
    steamed cabbage 15p
    total cost of dinner 55p

with a bowl of banana (starting to get brown spots on it ) and custard to top it up for pudding cost about 30p
    the whole meal 85p in total .

I wrote the prices down as I was asked the other day how I could make a filling dinner for under a pound. I replied 'by using up what I had, and being ready to think past the bowl of pasta or rice'

menu planning and 'extending' meals by adding veg etc and making things tasty by the addition of perhaps a bit of grated cheese or some herbs or spices or even in my case of dipping the small piece of pork in flour, egg, and dried stuffing mix it added a bit of oomph to the meal. The eggs by the way I bought in Iceland for 15 for 1.25 ,they are not very big and quite useful for coating stuff in.

I have a surfeit of sausages in my freezer and at the weekend will probably defrost a couple and take the skins off and use the sausage meat to make a scotch egg.One of my small eggs hard boiled wrapped in sauasage meat dipped in flour egg and again dried stuffing mix and put in my remoska to cook will make, once cut in half a nice lunch with salad, and perhaps an evening meal with a few chips and sliced tomato.

When I have it as an evening meal I shall also have some HM soup as a starter to 'fill' me up as the dinner will be slightly smaller. Again this should do at least two meals for under a pound.

You really don't have to live on pot noodles to have a filling meal I taught my DGS Ben who is away at uni how to make his pennies streeetch :) and he is in his third year and managing quite well on his grant

I have been stretching and extending meals for most of my life and I prefer to cook stuff from scratch as I then know whats gone into it :):):)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JackieO can I ask a technical question please? :o
    I assume you're dipping your chop in egg to make the stuffing mix stick, and therefore have some egg left over? How do you use this up? :o I know you well enough to know it won't be wasted; and I've often seen recipes that require an egg "wash" but been reluctant to try them for not knowing what to do with the remaining beaten egg.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 November 2016 at 3:27PM
    JackieO. Do. you have a specific recipe for your parsnip and apple soup in terms of proportional amount of each or so you just play by ear. And do you add onions or anything else?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    LameWolf wrote: »
    JackieO can I ask a technical question please? :o
    I assume you're dipping your chop in egg to make the stuffing mix stick, and therefore have some egg left over? How do you use this up? :o I know you well enough to know it won't be wasted; and I've often seen recipes that require an egg "wash" but been reluctant to try them for not knowing what to do with the remaining beaten egg.

You can just nuke it in a cup with a bit of grated cheese on it for an egg muffin. Chuck in a bit of chopped onion , peppers, mushrooms and it becomes quite substantial for a breakfast or light lunch

When I cooked for a living on quiet days we didn't bother with an egg wash, just watered a bit of batter down so a slack flour and water mix would be the same
  • suki1964 thats exactly what I do stick it in the fridge and next morning have it for breakfast with a few odds and ends chucked in. I no longer eat bread so I am happy to have it with a couple of cracker breads, I really don't waste anything if I can help it.Its a bit like Hmm.. what can I knock up with anything left over :). My DD used to call it Mum's cobbled together meals :)
    when my DD comes for breakfast on a Sunday morning I always put some grated cheese in when I make her 'strangled eggs' :)
  • Primrose wrote: »
    JackieO. Do. you have a specific recipe for your parsnip and apple soup in terms of proportional amount of each or so you just play by ear. And do you add onions or anything else?

Little splash of olive oil ,then diced onion from the freezer into the saucepan,saute until just soft and turning translucent, three or four parsnips peeled,cubed chucked on top. Two or three apples if you have wrinkly ones from the fruit bowl they are fine, peeled cubed and chucked on top one and a half litres of water with a couple of Aldis or Lidl's veggie stock cubes disolved in it. pour over the lot,bring to boil then turn down to bubble until parsnips are soft, slotted spoon the bits into a blender whizz up and return to the pan with the stock,turn it up a bit and stir with a wooden spoon until thick and gloopy (technical term :)) Decant into soup bags or in my case several screw topped soup jars.allow to cool and either freeze when cold, or I usually freeze some and one of my tuppaware jars has a good fitting lid and I put one into the fridge and use a bowl at a time .If its too thick, you can add a bit of water when reheating if you want it a bit thinner.Mine is usually a bit like Cambells condensed soup so it takes up less space.Great as a light lunch with cheese and crackers and a piece of fruit or as a started before dinner in the evening, quick zap in the microwave and its ready to eat.If Aldis or Lidl's have a parsnip offer on, its well worth making some for cold snowy days in January I also like to add a bit of grated nutmeg to mine , but its just because I like nutmeg ,its not obligatory ;)

I adore soup in all of its manifestations and make quite a lot ,especially at this time of the year, so cheap and easy to cook and a great way to use up left over bits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure