IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Paying a CCJ (DCBL)

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 9:20AM
    Options
    Ignoring the original letters from the parking company is irrelevant

But the fly in your timeline is that you became aware of the ccj in February last year

This does make it unlikely that you can get success

One factor in getting a set aside is that you must apply promptly as soon as you are aware a ccj has been issued

(I wrongly assumed from you that you had just discovered this)
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why oh why have you waited over a year?
    Almost no chance of a set aside, unless you can come up with a VERY compelling reason why you took 14 months to do anything about it.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect that OP means Feb 2018.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • roberts777
    roberts777 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

Yes, it should've read Feb 2018. Cheers.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 2:09PM
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

Still probably too late even if your suspicion were correct
  • roberts777
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Ignoring the original letters from the parking company is irrelevant

But the fly in your timeline is that you became aware of the ccj in February last year

This does make it unlikely that you can get success

One factor in getting a set aside is that you must apply promptly as soon as you are aware a ccj has been issued

(I wrongly assumed from you that you had just discovered this)

Cheers Quentin. Was my last posting that was incorrect. I have only recently become aware of this.
  • roberts777
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just pulled up the Credit report I ran to find out about the CCJ and the date on it is March 2nd 2018. Apologies for any confusion and thank you for your patience.
  • roberts777
    Options
    I have included a draft of my Witness Statement. Does it seem sufficient and is there anything I should do to strengthen it? Also, am I correct that the N244 form should be directed to the nearest court in the County of my current address?

WITNESS STATEMENT OF XXXXXXXXXXXX

I XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of the application for an order that the judgment in this case (Claim No. XXXXXXXXXX Judgment dated XXXXXXX) be set aside.

2: CPR 13.3 states (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –
    (a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or
    (b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –
    (i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
    (ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

3. I learnt of the existence of this claim on the XXXXXXX when I ran a credit check and subsequently a Registry Trust Limited (RTL) search and had no knowledge of it prior to this date.

4. My address changed in XXXXXXX and a redirection service was in place.

5. I believe the Claimant has behaved unreasonably in pursuing a claim against me without ensuring they held the Defendant’s correct contact details. According to publicly available information my circumstances are far from being unique. The Claimant’s failure to use correct and current addresses results is an unnecessary burden for individuals and the justice system across the country.

6. Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim. I thus believe that the Default Judgement against me was issued incorrectly and thus should be set aside.

7. I therefore ask that the Court sets aside the judgment in this claim and allows 14 days for me to submit my defence.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Consistent spelling, 'judgment', not 'judgement'[point 6]
    Await others' input.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    roberts777 wrote: »
    Just pulled up the Credit report I ran to find out about the CCJ and the date on it is March 2nd 2018. Apologies for any confusion and thank you for your patience.
    OK so make sure your N244 set aside application is filed next week, then that is quick enough IMHO (which the Judge will expect to see).
    Also, am I correct that the N244 form should be directed to the nearest court in the County of my current address?
    Yes.

As well as the WS, you need to file a Draft Order like the one shown here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74133105#post74133105

Basically telling the Judge what you the Defendant, would like him/her to order as a result of your application and hearing to set aside.

At the hearing, you will need to be armed with a draft defence to show the Judge that you also have good prospects of successfully defending the claim (and in a really good case, a Judge might consider the defence and order the claim struck out altogether an the set aside fee refunded, if it is clear there was no cause of action).

More commonly, the costs would be 'reserved' till later (in the expectation of a full hearing of the claim to follow) but the difficulty comes if Excel just discontinue...hence why your Draft Order pushes for that eventuality to be covered for the wronged consumer.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure