The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

red cabbage

harrys_nan
harrys_nan Posts: 1,777
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 17 December 2016 at 6:25PM in Old style MoneySaving
What is the secret for getting homemade pickled red cabbage to stay crunchy?
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,480
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I braise it in the slow cooker and about an hour before the end I add a sliced apple then once cooled portion up and freeze in usuable amounts. Don't add much liquid which I think helps to keep it crunchy. If you'd like the recipe I'll put it on here.

Reheat in in a pan with about 1 Tbs of water.

Denise
  • harrys_nan
    Forumite
    edited 16 December 2016 at 3:03PM
    joedenise wrote: »
    I braise it in the slow cooker and about an hour before the end I add a sliced apple then once cooled portion up and freeze in usuable amounts. Don't add much liquid which I think helps to keep it crunchy. If you'd like the recipe I'll put it on here.

Reheat in in a pan with about 1 Tbs of water.

Denise

yes please, although I am talking about pickled red cabbage. I didn't make that clear in my op, sorry

Harry born 23/09/2008
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,480
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My recipe is for braised red cabbage not pickled. I don't do pickled red cabbage as not keen on it. Do you still want the recipe?

Have you tried googling pickled cabbage. I'm sure that will be loads of hits!

Denise
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hopefully Google or someone else will come along with a recipe.

But as someone who hates cooked red and commercial pickled cabbage but loves it raw as a salad side can I recommend trying smaller amounts shredded with a vinaigrette dressing, or even a splash of balsamic vinegar mixed in. Add to that some apple, cranberries and red onions for a fantastic side dish.
  • BB15
    BB15 Posts: 39
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've always made it by shredding the cabbage and layering with salt, leave overnight then rinse off in the morning. Bottle with malt vinegar poured over and leave for about 3 weeks. Very simple but seems to work fine. Don't make too much at once as it tends to go soft the longer it's kept ( probably as there 's no preservatives used). Hope this helps.
  • harrys_nan
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2016 at 6:26PM
    BB15 wrote: »
    I've always made it by shredding the cabbage and layering with salt, leave overnight then rinse off in the morning. Bottle with malt vinegar poured over and leave for about 3 weeks. Very simple but seems to work fine. Don't make too much at once as it tends to go soft the longer it's kept ( probably as there 's no preservatives used). Hope this helps.

that's exactly how I make it but it never seems to be crunchy. Saying that I make it for my SIL and he likes it.
    I have made some more now, that's it now for this year

Harry born 23/09/2008

UPDATE,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure