PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long to wait for vendor's solicitors to be confirmed?

Options
Hello,

We are first time buyers. Our offer on a property was accepted on 15th of January and our mortgage application was approved on 27th of January.

The property we are buying is being rented at the moment and the tenants have been given a notice on the same day our offer was accepted (so we have been told). Whilst visiting the property, we did come to know that tenants are looking for a new property to rent.

To our knowledge, there is no other party interested to buy the the house. Our offer is very close to the asking price.

Our estate agent is a local agent who doesn't reply to emails so we have to call them to get any sort of update.

We are waiting for the vendor's solicitors details to be confirmed and the sales memo be issued.

Because everything takes a long time with the EA, we have our reservations that the vendor could change her mind or not keen to sell.

How long should we wait to look for another property? Any other feedback is welcome.

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do push the seller to get solicitors instructed. If the vendor has instructed solicitors and their solicitors are responding to inquiries then you know they are invested in the process.

A sensible seller will not exchange contracts until the tenants have left. However, the time it takes the tenants to leave will probably be shorter than the time it takes your solicitors to do searches and deal with enquiries so best to get started.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Allow two weeks, but ask for updates.

There is some paperwork they need to complete before their solicitor can act.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

We are waiting for the vendor's solicitors details to be confirmed and the sales memo be issued.

Your mortgage application was only approved 2 days ago. Takes time for the news to filter through and be actioned upon.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why did you submit the full application before the sales particulars etc were sent to your solicitor, and before the sellers had instructed solicitors?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Actually, I wasn't sure about the mortgage so my mortgage adviser said that I should instruct my solicitor once my mortgage application gets accepted.

Hence, now that my mortgage application has been accepted, I have arranged a solicitor.

The solicitor has asked that a sales memo to be send through to them including a starter package and solicitor details of the vendor.

EA says they don't have the vendor's solicitors details. When the offer was accepted, EA said they should have the solicitor details by Monday and now its Wednesday.

EA is saying they don't really know when the vendor is going to share their solicitor details so this makes me think if one can't be bothered to get a solicitor arranged then probably they aren't serious to sell or they have second thoughts?
  • The vendor hasn't provided solicitors details yet and that's what makes me a bit anxious with this deal.

I just don't know how long should I wait to for the sales memo be issued. EA doesn't really bother to reply to emails and wouldn't clarify the vendor's position on my phone calls.

EA did say that the contracts will only be exchanged when the tenants move out. I believe even if we start tomorrow, the tenants will move before the contracts get exchanged.
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Call the Estate Agent and tell them you are worried you have not received anything.
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    A proper seller would have solicitors ready to go and once agreeing a sale, would provide them with what they need. Many sellers think that this can wait but it ought not to. 2 weeks is entirely unacceptable - if your seller wants to do the deal, they need to show willing and get a move on with their role in this - which is instructing their solicitor and filling in the relevant forms / replies to enquiries.

This sort of shoddiness is why people hate conveyancing in England - the delays to actually getting going are half of the problem.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ethank wrote: »
    Call the Estate Agent and tell them you are worried you have not received anything.

This. Just phone the EA every day or two till it's sorted. It's not hard to instruct a solicitor so the vendor doesn't really have an excuse. If it goes on more than a week, say you're concerned about the vendor's commitment to selling.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with the above especially as there are currently tenants in situ, which could- potentially- complicate things further.

I'd have a cut-off date in mind if I were you, and be prepared to look elsewhere if things haven't started to happen by then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure