Broadband down for days

I'm with Virgin and have found them generally ok but broadband went down 4 days ago. Tried the usual rebooting, checking cables etc for first couple of days then called their helpline. Chap told me there was an issue in my area and engineers trying hard to fix and it would move MAXIMUM 8th August before it will be fixed, which would mean 10 days without internet (apart from 4G on my phone) assuming they will definitely fix it by then

I'm not best pleased to say the least. Do I just have to grin and bear it. Apparently getting compensation but guess it would be pro rata on my £40 a month contract so £10 or thereabouts for all this inconvenience.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What are you saying ??
    No internet for ten days and you want loads of compo??

What are your actual losses ??
  • maggiesoup1
    maggiesoup1 Posts: 186 Forumite
    I've got 3 people staying with me airbnb who can't get on to the internet so they're not happy and may request a part refund. It just beggars belief that virgin are taking so long to fix it.
  • Could you share whatever method you are using to get on the internet with your guests?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    I've got 3 people staying with me airbnb who can't get on to the internet so they're not happy and may request a part refund.
    From clause D.8 of Virgin Media's terms and conditions:
    "Internet access is for private use by you and members of your household. It must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using internet access for domestic purposes, for example whilst a reasonable amount of working from home is expected, your usage should be within what would be reasonably expected from a residential customer and we have no liability for any business losses you may suffer. We have other more appropriate packages such as Homeworks, and for small business use there are services provided for by Virgin Media Business."
    https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#services
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    I've got 3 people staying with me airbnb who can't get on to the internet so they're not happy
    Oops, are you on a business contract. If so, I believe recompense for downtime is in the T&Cs.

If not . . .
  • maggiesoup1
    Not a busineaa contact as i only rent a couple of rooms within my house during August but i know my guests are disappointed they cant email their friends and family. I've offered my phone but that's fairly limited and a tiny screen. Just fed up with Virgin taking an age to fix it.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    Not a busineaa contact as i only rent a couple of rooms within my house during August but i know my guests are disappointed they cant email their friends and family. I've offered my phone but that's fairly limited and a tiny screen. Just fed up with Virgin taking an age to fix it.

From 1 April 2019, the Automatic Compensation Scheme means broadband and landline customers will get money back from their provider when things go wrong, without having to ask for it.

£8 per day, you could buy a mobile dongle if its still not back on.

The following firms are signed up to the scheme:
    • BT
    • Sky
    • TalkTalk
    • Virgin Media
    • Zen Internet

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    From 1 April 2019, the Automatic Compensation Scheme means broadband and landline customers will get money back from their provider when things go wrong, without having to ask for it.

£8 per day, you could buy a mobile dongle if its still not back on.

The following firms are signed up to the scheme:
    • BT
    • Sky
    • TalkTalk
    • Virgin Media
    • Zen Internet

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

Not necessarily applicable.
    The scheme applies to new orders placed or problems reported from 1 April 2019.

Also if they mention they use it for business purposes:-
    Similarly, you won’t receive compensation if you breach your contract,
    I'm with Virgin and have found them generally ok but broadband went down 4 days ago. Tried the usual rebooting, checking cables etc for first couple of days then called their helpline. Chap told me there was an issue in my area and engineers trying hard to fix and it would move MAXIMUM 8th August before it will be fixed, which would mean 10 days without internet (apart from 4G on my phone) assuming they will definitely fix it by then

I'm not best pleased to say the least. Do I just have to grin and bear it. Apparently getting compensation but guess it would be pro rata on my £40 a month contract so £10 or thereabouts for all this inconvenience.

Is that £40 for broadband & phone line only or does it include TV?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2019 at 9:51AM
    I don’t suppose they are sitting on their hands , not completing repairs when they could, just to hack off their customers, if there is a fault affecting more that just yourself, perhaps a vehicle has demolished a VM cabinet and council noticing, road closures or what ever have to be sought before the restoration work can begin.
    You could ask VM for a detailed explanation of what the delay is for, it wouldn’t in itself speed things up, just give an insight into what’s causing the delay.
    Probably not suitable for residential or small business, but if a guarantee of service was essential, you would need multiple providers , using different networks to provide continuity should one provider ‘fail’, but this type of resilience isn’t cheap, and, in the main, you are paying for something that you will rarely, if ever, need
  • maggiesoup1
    edited 14 August 2019 at 8:00PM
    Me again, broadband still down, 13 days now. Livid doesn't come close
    UPDATE... text message saying it's now going to be 15th August. Surely they have to offer more than just a bit of discount off your next bill?? Free dongle? How can I see who else may be affected in the area? Sorry it's a bit of a rant but 2 weeks without the internet is a bit much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure