Virgin making no attempt to keep me, how about others?

13»

Comments

• chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    They called me five days after my initial call which I requested they cancel my services. I work from home and transfer terrabytes each month, I don't think your usage contributes to the deals offered.
  • I got the annual price rise letter in the post this week. It annoys the life out of me that i'm on an 18 month contract but in reality I know it's only a 12 month one because the price will rise and I will have the option to leave without paying cancellation charges.
    I've been paying £30 a month for my broadband and the price rise was going to take it up to £33.50 (I think that's just over 11% rise?) I'm on a very tight budget so every penny counts. There doesn't seem to be an option to tell Virgin you want to leave when you get to the automated call line so I had to chat with a guy at the foreign call centre who tried to justify the price hike. I said I couldn't afford it and requested to be transferred to disconnection and retention department. This got me through to the Scottish call centre. I was able to get the price increase of £3.50 removed. In reality this means I'm paying £26.50 for 2 months then reverting back to £30. This is only until my 18 contract ends in February. The rep advised me to call again at the start of January to negotiate another deal otherwise my discounts will be removed and I will be paying £43.
    I might have got a better deal had I pushed but I'm happy not having to pay the price increase until the end of my contract.
  • I'm having the same issue with Virgin, I was on a 11 month deal for all the channels Sky Sports/ Cinema/ BT Sport and 350mbs broadband for £79. Phoned to cancel or get a better deal, they said they can do it for £99, I said that's still a bit high, how much if I take Sky Cinema off and reduce the broadband to 200mbs and just have Eveni g and weekend calls on the landline, they said that will be £110!!!! So I'd be paying more for less. I asked if this was bext they could do and was told yes. So I've said to carry on with cancelling. I'm hoping they will call back and offer me something better. I do like Virgins broadband and the BT Sport so really don't want to leave but may be forced into it.
  • They’re not obliged to call you back with a better offer when you cancel.

The forum is littered with posts from users who try their luck, don’t get a call back, then when they rejoin straight after again can’t get any new customer deals as they’re classed as returning customers.

Don’t try your luck.
  • !!! wrote: »
    They’re not obliged to call you back with a better offer when you cancel.

The forum is littered with posts from users who try their luck, don’t get a call back, then when they rejoin straight after again can’t get any new customer deals as they’re classed as returning customers.

Don’t try your luck.

Then you don't rejoin but go elsewhere for a fairer deal.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I went through this a week ago, previously when ever I've called I've had no issues getting a new deal (I have bb only) but they couldn't care less that I was going to leave. I managed to get the package down to £28 for 200mbs with the offshore call centre, I thought I could do better so I got through to disconnections and the best he would do was £30, there were lots of long silences but he wouldn't budge.

The three 5G signal will be with me soon and I'll switch to them, faster and cheaper!
  • cambb
    cambb Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So cancelled my phone + BB 350mb as i was over 12 months yesterday as i was paying £45 a month. A call today from retentions and was offered 100mb for £23 or 200mb for £25, no phone line. I took the 200mb on a 12 month contract with no price increases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure