Dollar bills

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure I’d be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.

Then you don't have the right card. Monzo, Revolut, or Monese all useful for drawing foreign currency from ATMs without high loadings.

Although I don't know if you will find USD ATMs in the Dom Rep as its not the official currency.

Hotel reception will usually split bills for you for tips.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Then you don't have the right card. Monzo, Revolut, or Monese all useful for drawing foreign currency from ATMs without high loadings.

Although I don't know if you will find USD ATMs in the Dom Rep as its not the official currency.

Hotel reception will usually split bills for you for tips.

I think (& I could be wrong as I’ve always made a point of avoiding hotel cash machines) that there may be a charge on hotel machines - even if you do have the right type of card - much like we have in some shops here.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,566 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2019 at 9:08PM
    It’s Punta Cana & the predominant currency is $
    The Dominican Republic has its own currency, the peso, and the US dollar is not widely accepted other than in tourist areas. ATMs dispense only pesos. There is nothing to prevent you from using the national currency for all purposes, including tipping, for which of course low denomination notes are freely available.

Accepting prices and purchasing anything in dollars is highly likely to cost you more than using pesos, beginning with the cost of obtaining the cash in the first place. However if you spend most of your time in resort and insist on using dollars you are sure to be able to obtain small notes there.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Kim_kim
    eDicky wrote: »
    The Dominican Republic has its own currency, the peso, and the US dollar is not widely accepted other than in tourist areas. ATMs dispense only pesos. There is nothing to prevent you from using the national currency for all purposes, including tipping, for which of course low denomination notes are freely available.

Accepting prices and purchasing anything in dollars is highly likely to cost you more than using pesos, beginning with the cost of obtaining the cash in the first place. However if you spend most of your time in resort and insist on using dollars you are sure to be able to obtain small notes there.

Be really nice if people could answer the question posed.,.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just to point out the Co-Op travel I used is Lincolnshire Co-op rather than the main Manchester based one- 'though I doubt that is a problem. I just went in a couple of days before I needed them to order.

In the past I have had $1 bills from Tesco but I think the last time I went there I was limited to 25 bills- not pre-ordered.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite

They did. Take cash out of an ATM at the airport. 50 pesos is equal to US$1.

DO161.JPG

You are just too fixated on doing what you want to do regardless.
    So best to stop asking, get on your toes and ask the money changers in your area, since you are bent on ignoring any advice that you are given.

Perhaps you just didn't understand what you read;
    The Dominican peso is the currency of the Dominican Republic (Spanish: Rep!blica Dominicana). Its symbol is "$", with "RD$ used when distinction from other pesos (or dollars) is required

So the $ you see is actually Pesos.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2019 at 8:08AM
    They can't avoid surcharges imposed by the ATM's bank, if applicable.

Certainly better than most other cards nevertheless.
  • Kim_kim
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    They did. Take cash out of an ATM at the airport. 50 pesos is equal to US$1.

DO161.JPG

You are just too fixated on doing what you want to do regardless.
    So best to stop asking, get on your toes and ask the money changers in your area, since you are bent on ignoring any advice that you are given.

Perhaps you just didn't understand what you read;

So the $ you see is actually Pesos.

Cash points will not give me a load of 50 peso notes.
    I choose not to use plastic cards abroad.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,566 Forumite
    I've told you twice where you can get your low denomination notes. Perhaps you are averse to any extra contact with local people.

Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the country they will visit.
    Cash points will not give me a load of 50 peso notes.
    I choose not to use plastic cards abroad.
    Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the best ways to save money on overseas trips, even when asking for advice on a moneysaving forum...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the country they will visit.

To be fair, the Dominican Republic has a mixed reputation as a tourist destination.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure