How do you make your Secret Santa gift look so much more?

Options
MSE_Molly
MSE_Molly Posts: 85 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
It divides offices around the country every December. Yes, it's the dreaded Secret Santa. :eek:

Bob stands there rubbing his hands with glee because his best mate Mo got him in the draw, while poor Kim has no idea who Sarah is and has to discreetly find out from the rest of her team what she likes...*

But that's not where it ends, oh no.

Someone from marketing ends up crying in the loos because they were given an unscented candle YET AGAIN, while the finance team have all told each other who they've got despite the explicitly clear rules on the email marked 'high importance' NOT to do so - but it doesn't matter, because they've all swapped around anyway so they get the best gifts.**

What's more, to make things harder, there's a budget! And while here at MSE we LOVE budgeting all year round, sometimes, even for the best MoneySavers, that £1 or even £5 limit can feel restricting and just a waste when you don't know where to start.

But that's where you come in Forumites. Because we can always rely on your knowledge and help!

We want you to share your most creative Secret Santa gifts, for the least amount of money.

Laziness is not allowed! We want you to think outside the box - we're talking homemade, funny and genuinely thoughtful presents for the smallest number of pennies possible.

How do you make your money go further, to make it a gift others will be envious of?

We can't wait to hear your suggestions!

- MSE Molly

*No employees named Bob, Mo, Kim or Sarah were harmed in the making of this thread.
**All scenarios portrayed in this forum thread are entirely fictitious and by no means representative of any Secret Santa debacles that may have happened at MSE Towers.
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 22 November 2019 at 9:35AM
    Options
    This might be 'Bah Humbug' but I really can't see the point of Secret Santa.
    Here's a thread from last year:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5935045
    Pollycat wrote: »
    They don't need to get rid of it.
    You just have to opt out.

I've been retired for 15 years but we used to do Secret Santa.
    You could put a note on saying what you really didn't want.
    I said I didn't want make-up.
    I was bought a palette of cheap eye-shadows.
    It went to the charity shop before Christmas.

My personal opinion is that Secret Santa is just a waste of money.
    I've been shopping with a friend when she's run both of us ragged trying to find something nice within the budget.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Luckily I don't need to do Secret Santa.
    I buy items for specific people, some as cheap as possible! well, that is mutual.

With one of my friends we have a £5 challenge- you can buy from anywhere and if you don't like you can give away too.
    This year she has : a microfibre coat (£1) a 100% cotton blouse (£1) a jacket type cardigan (£1) - all charity shop buys. A wind-up torch - new £2. I reckon that's £5 well spent.

Other friends have a very beautiful coffee table book. Publishers cost £35, seen it advertised this week at £12.99. I paid euros 4!!- brand new, still shrink wrapped.

Moral of the story: keep your eyes open all year. But sadly that doesn't work for Secret Santa.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    A nice Baylis & Harding gift set from a charity shop is easily less than a fiver.

Or five items from Poundshop - pens, chocolate, santa hat, smelly, calendar/diary.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Reminds me why I'm so glad I left work and don't have to get involved in this office "tradition" any more!!

The cliques tell each other who's got who, you get the naff (sometimes offensive) tat, or you get the person you don't know from Adam!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    A nice Baylis & Harding gift set from a charity shop is easily less than a fiver.

Or five items from Poundshop - pens, chocolate, santa hat, smelly, calendar/diary.
    Hmmm.
    Yes.
    That's because people who received B&H gift sets as their Secret Santa gift last year donate it to the nearest charity shop as soon as they are opened after Christmas. :whistle:

And the 5 items from Poundshop are just cheap tat and a waste of £5.00.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could always just put £5 in an envelope!!!

To be honest, I'd have appreciated that more than some of the completely pointless/useless gifts I've received over the years, which have gone straight in the bin when I got home. Not even worthy of re-gifting or donating!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Hmmm.
    Yes.
    That's because people who received B&H gift sets as their Secret Santa gift last year donate it to the nearest charity shop as soon as they are opened after Christmas. :whistle:

But that one B&H gift set has probably been re-sold for Valentine's Day, Mother's/Father's Day, and a couple of birthdays before Christmas comes round again.

It's raised far more for charity than its original selling price. :)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    But that one B&H gift set has probably been re-sold for Valentine's Day, Mother's/Father's Day, and a couple of birthdays before Christmas comes round again.

It's raised far more for charity than its original selling price. :)
    I didn't think - but do correct me if I'm wrong - Secret Santa was about raising money for charity...

Am I the only one who thinks buying cheap tat for a Secret Santa gift is wrong?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks buying cheap tat for a Secret Santa gift is wrong?

What else do you get for a fiver for someone you barely know and possibly don't like?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    What else do you get for a fiver for

someone you barely know and possibly don't like?
    :TThat's my point.

If you can't commit to buying something other than 5 items of tat from Poundland, then opt out.
    And maybe this waste of time and money will die a death.

I'm not an anti-gift giver.
    But the gifts I buy are carefully thought about and sourced.
    Even during the season of goodwill t'wards all men (and women) I would not want to buy tat for anyone (even someone I didn't like) and would not want to receive tat - or even a half-heartedly considered gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure