VLC SMB not working suddenly.

Options
Rev
Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Anyone offer any help or ideas.

I have a HTPC connected to the TV. I use VLC on the iPad to watch files on the HTPC whilst in bed.

Now all of a sudden it won’t work. I can access the HTPC from both my laptop and desktop. I tried Kodi but that won’t connect either. I downloaded media player xtreme on the iPad and that can connect to the HTPC and play files perfectly. I uninstalled VLC and downloaded again. Restarted the router. Restarted all devices. No change.

So does anyone have any idea why VLC just stopped working?
Sigless

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps try asking on one of the VideoLAN forums, such as VLC for iOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV.

Also, the significance of the mention of "SMB" in your thread title ("VLC SMB not working suddenly.") is unclear, but maybe that's just me.
  • Rev
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    Perhaps try asking on one of the VideoLAN forums, such as VLC for iOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV.

Also, the significance of the mention of "SMB" in your thread title ("VLC SMB not working suddenly.") is unclear, but maybe that's just me.

Will check those forums. Thanks.

Apologies but I’m not really sure what else I could have said?
    Sigless
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What does SMB stand for?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    It's probably down to SMB V1 no longer being classed as secure. If possible update the source server, if not live with it by changing the settings on the client box. If you don't allow uPnP on your router, and don't allow SMB through you may be OK.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Rev
    Options
    It's probably down to SMB V1 no longer being classed as secure. If possible update the source server, if not live with it by changing the settings on the client box. If you don't allow uPnP on your router, and don't allow SMB through you may be OK.

The HTPC is running windows seven. I tried windows ten but it’s just not capable. So I can’t update it.

I’m not sure what settings to change to be honest. It literally just stopped working yesterday.
    Sigless
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you tried PLEX?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Try this first, VLC-->Preferences---> select all(advanced)
    Input/Codecs-->Access Modules--->smb .
    From there you should be able to enter your credentials for the share , but I don't know if it will work :cool:.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Has the VLC app recently updated? Can you roll it back and prevent future updates?

PS - thanks for the reminder on what SMB relates too.
  • Rev
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    have you tried PLEX?

I did, but to play files on the iPad it asked me to buy a plex pass, VLC does what I want for free.
    Try this first, VLC-->Preferences---> select all(advanced)
    Input/Codecs-->Access Modules--->smb .
    From there you should be able to enter your credentials for the share , but I don't know if it will work :cool:.

Had deleted the app, just downloaded it again and, there's no preferences on the iOS app, there's settings but no way to input credentials as far as I could see. But, I tried to connect to the HTPC and it worked first time?!?!?! I've changed nothing.

DoaM wrote: »
    Has the VLC app recently updated? Can you roll it back and prevent future updates?

PS - thanks for the reminder on what SMB relates too.

No you can't roll back on iOS, last update was a month ago.
    Sigless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport