PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    You come over all awkward and miserable if you don't like the look of potential buyers? :rotfl:
    I haven't had to yet.....but I could.

However, when it came to the recent sale of an equestrian property across the lane, I probably helped to sway the buyer towards it on her second viewing. By then, her main concern was about outriding, so I put her in touch with others who use the woods/ lanes nearby.

I liked the look of her (and her 'entourage!') but if I'd had doubts, no info would have been given and I might even have suggested the road was somewhat dangerous. :o
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Whatever you decide I think you have only two options

1) walk away
    2) proceed but live with the fact you will never have access through that gate and it will be difficult to sell (which might not worry you if you never intent to sell but will pass on the issue to whoever you decide to leave the house to)

option 3 of asserting your rights whilst legally right is not going to easy and certainly not make for a happy place to live (with peed off neighbours) even if you get vendor to assert rights still the same outcome for you as it will be very obvious where these unwanted actions came via.

If its a forever home, I loved the house, area, it was a good buy and I hadn't found anything similar in that price range personally I would seriously consider option 2 (as long as vendor gave a further price reduction due to the new information its worth less). Who I left it to it would still have some value (anything can be sold at a price) and I would be buying a home for me not a inheritance gift.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Please let us know what you decide, YBE, would you? Thanks. You can't leave us hanging like this!
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    I shall update tomorrow, after my appointment with my solic. I do think it's a no though. If I bought it, it would have to be from the point of view that I'd have a.... tricky.... neighbour, and god knows what in the future. That isn't appealing frankly!

I was planning on staying for a lot of years tbh. This whole process has been dreadful, on the back of a nightmare 11 months. I'm looking to buy a home, not an investment/do it up + ride out Brexit/start looking again jobber. It's a shame there's nothing else really in Belper cos the town and area are both lovely.

I'll see what advice solic gives me tomorrow. He's a family friend so I'll hopefully get some professional but off the record guidance. Tonight it's back to RM. *sigh*
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    @Slinky - I don't know if they used to live there. The EA told me on my first viewing that she was reducing her portfolio so would be keen on a quick sale. I also asked him "why has it been on the market so long", he said there'd been a few serious AP buyers but 2 had last-minute mortgage issues, and another had a death in the close family. So that's all true and nothing to do with the access at all obviously.... :p

@Okrib - I don't know who owns the strip of land. It could be theirs or all of ours or council. That's another question for my solic. Perhaps joint ownership wouldn't be so bad if he would buy me out, with the access remaining obviously. And all legally agreed and signed. No that's 4rse gravy, it's legally accessible now and he isn't playing ball.

@Cakeguts - It was on originally for £135k I think, dropped to £130k, I offered £115k, rejected, £120k accepted. So a good whack off the AP. Perhaps that should have been my first clue....
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I used to live in a house exactly like this, block of 6 houses with shared access
    If the people at number 6 had gated and locked the gates it would not have been accepted by any of the 6 houses.
    We were in the first house with just pedestrian access and we did put in a small gate when our son started toddling, and number 3 did put gates across the path when their little girl came along, but they were not locked.

I'm just thinking of the situation if you needed to go past number 6, would you have to walk past 5,4,3,2,1 and then the other way .

I think you are right to walk away
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 9:19PM

I don’t know what’s normal for the area, I’m 100 miles away and have never lived in that area...

That makes me feel a bit uneasy on your behalf that you are saying "normal for the area".

When I said "normal" - I definitely did not mean "normal for the area". I meant "normal full stop end of" (ie the normal standards one expects across the whole of Britain).

That was one of the ways I dealt with the troublesome liberty-taking neighbours I found I had here - it was made crystal clear to them that I'm simply not the slightest bit interested in what they might make out is "normal for the area". I do not care. I care about what is normal for our country as a whole - end of.

If I'm quoted standard behaviour for the whole of our country I might listen. If I'm quoted British laws I most definitely will listen. Beyond that - selective deafness reigns imo. Hence what I mean about having to be "firm".

"What WE do here" is not relevant imo if they start quoting that at you - as what they will mean by that is what they personally and a hand-picked selection of neighbours/their friends say.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I was planning on staying for a lot of years tbh. This whole process has been dreadful, on the back of a nightmare 11 months. I'm looking to buy a home, not an investment/do it up + ride out Brexit/start looking again jobber. It's a shame there's nothing else really in Belper cos the town and area are both lovely.

Then ask yourself what the loss of this access will mean to you. I think in consideration you should also imagine that the other end of the access would be shut off as well. I can see in future if no 6 is allowed to 'get away with it' this would make it harder for anyone to stop no 1 doing the same.

Do you have space out the front you could leave your bins? would you be happy to leave them out front? Is there access through the house for the odd occasion something needed to be taken to the garden (garden furniture for example).

This doesn't sound like a nightmare neighbour to me as long as they get their own way on this, other neighbours seem happy with the arrangement so perhaps they gave their consent? There can be alot worse things neighbours can be a pain with.
  • That makes me feel a bit uneasy on your behalf that you are saying "normal for the area".

I agree Money, it doesn't sound normal to me either! I fired off a quick post (#71) from my phone while I cooking dinner, they were to answers other posts. I've edited it to put folks' names in :)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My set up is a bit different to yours then. We have the back yard, then the access then the back garden the other side. My deeds clearly show that I own the house/yard and garden but I do not have any ownership of the shared access.

Someone I know has your arrangement except that each individual house owns its section of the "lane" but the deeds specify that each owner will permit pedestrian/vehicular access over his section to the other owners.

This leads to a somewhat odd appearance to the "lane" as some owners have asphalted their section, others have gravel/ others concrete.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure