Help with Virgin Claim going to Court

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2018 at 4:50PM
    Sorry guys, I can assure you that unlike VM's installers, whom are the real cowboys, the builders are not.

Understandably, how can they provide a quote for a job that involves removal of mortar, whilst avoiding damaging the cable wiring, digging up the cable and then rerouting it....that's not their job, but it's Virgin's as it's their cable/property.

Yes, I've already sent the the Letter Before Action and clearly stated the above reason as being unable to provide a quote.

Sorry, but have you definitely sent a letter before action? Just in your OP you say you contacted VM's email address with a letter before claim - you cannot send a LBA by email.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Sorry, but my previous reply should have stated £1000-£1100 quote.

BoGoF - I'm not concluding, but I'm asking for your help.

unholyangel - Yes I sent LBA via email. If I've done this wrong, please can you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks
  • unholyangel
    Sorry, but my previous reply should have stated £1000-£1100 quote.

BoGoF - I'm not concluding, but I'm asking for your help.

unholyangel - Yes I sent LBA via email. If I've done this wrong, please can you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks

You need to send a proper letter (not an email), title it "letter before action", set out the bare facts of your claim and then give them a reasonable deadline to respond by (a minimum of 14 days to be given for simple matters, up to 3 months for more complex matters) saying something like "if a satisfactory resolution isnt reached within x days of the date of this letter, I reserve the right to commence legal proceedings without further communication or warning, at which time your liability for costs may increase".

The lba itself should be to the point and as short/succinct as possible. Don't get caught up trying to go into too much detail - you can always do that on additional sheets of paper while keeping the LBA as a sort of covering letter.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • You need to send a proper letter (not an email), title it "letter before action", set out the bare facts of your claim and then give them a reasonable deadline to respond by (a minimum of 14 days to be given for simple matters, up to 3 months for more complex matters) saying something like "if a satisfactory resolution isnt reached within x days of the date of this letter, I reserve the right to commence legal proceedings without further communication or warning, at which time your liability for costs may increase".

The lba itself should be to the point and as short/succinct as possible. Don't get caught up trying to go into too much detail - you can always do that on additional sheets of paper while keeping the LBA as a sort of covering letter.

Thanks very much. I don't know where to send this letter, also should I ignore the email LBA I've already sent and start again? Also what do I do about the original issue that other posters have mentioned? i.e. no actual quote from a builder???
  • unholyangel
    Thanks very much. I don't know where to send this letter, also should I ignore the email LBA I've already sent and start again? Also what do I do about the original issue that other posters have mentioned? i.e. no actual quote from a builder???

Yes start again - this page (clicky)might help you understand the steps they expect you to take before beginning legal action & the purpose of those steps, specifically paragraphs 3 & 6.

As for where to send it, their registered office address - although make sure you send it to the correct registered office address, ie if your contract for the installation was with virgin media then don't send it to virgin mobiles registered office. If you're unsure at all (or as an alternative), ask VM for a service address.

As for the issue, theres a few ways you could approach it tbh. I presume the cable isn't serving anyone else? Are you definitely ending your service with them or are virgin contesting this too? Have you asked any of them if they would be willing to quote if they state on their quote that its subject to VM's permission as owners of the cable?
  • Virgin Media.
    PO Box 333,
    Matrix Court,
    SWANSEA,
    SA7 9ZJ
  • Thanks unholy & Greta....I really appreciate your helpful information and advise.

@ unholy - What's clicky?. The cable I think is just serving me, although I'm not 100% sure. Regarding the builders/landscapers....the problem is that they are simply not willing to touch it i.e officially as they are worried of any comebacks in the event of any issue such as loss of service. One of them said that if I really wanted to get it done by them, then it would have to be a cash in hand job and that I'd have to take full responsibility of any damage occurred (Don't forget part of the cable is buried in rapid-set concrete, which would have to be carefully dug out and broken off and could potentially cause damage to it). I am not willing to take such risk. Also I still have full contract with them.

@Greta - Thanks for the address.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Click on the bit that says "this page" it's a link. Clicky means it's a link.
  • Do you perhaps need Virgin media to remove their cable from your property, and then pay for any repairs needed?
  • waamo - Oh sorry, doh! Yup I've got it now, lol! ....Thanks

rosemary - yes, VM need to either remove or re-route the cable and then also do repairs - something which they are declining to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure