mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 March 2018 at 9:06PM
    The 52 things I aim to achieve / do are :
    1. Start nvq
    2. Finish nvq
    3. Start degree - health sciences
    4. Volunteer for Macmillan - interview done, position accepted , start my training in the next few weeks
    [STRIKE]5. get teeth sorted [/STRIKE]
    6. Volunteer for acorns children's hospice
    7. Give blood - BOOKED FOR MAY
    8. Gain a stone in weight 2/3 lb so far
    9. Attend church at least 6 times / been once so far
    10. Do 30 online courses with openlearn / done 6
    11. Save 50% towards a house deposit (15k) 3200 so far
    12. Give 52 items to the food bank
    13. Current debt 10,020 by Feb 2019 6000
    14. Earn 2000 is overtime / 380 so far
    15. The one month water challenge
    16. Go to the beach
    17. Stand at the edge of a cliff and scream hello
    18. Go swimming
    19. Dance In the rain
    20. Jump in puddles
    21. Frame one each of the kids pictures
    22. Do a picture which all of us have taken part in and frame
    23. Bake 100 cupcakes
    24. Quit smoking
    25. Go for a walk in a wood
    26. middle child potty trained
    27. See middle child off on his first day at school
    28. Go to eldests class assembly
    29. Go to eldests sports day
    30. Write up about being a mum to a disabled child
    31. Kids christening - BOOKED FOR JUNE
    32. Write up about suffering with mental health illness
    33. Do something to help the homeless
    34. save. £1k towards internship overseas
    35. Visit London
    36. Attend all parents evenings - eldests DONE
    37. Finish the hall - STARTED
    38. Finish the boys room
    39. Finish the living room
    40. Finish the kitchen
    41. Finish the bathroom
    42. No alcohol all year
    43. Go to Butlins or camping
    44. Go to a pantomime
    45. Go skiing
    46. Go ice skating
    47. Teach eldest to roller skate
    48. Teach middle child to scoot a scooter
    49. Snorkel with sharks
    50. Feed sharks
    51. Water zorbing
    52. Fly over London in a helicopter with eldest
    EXTRA
    [STRIKE]pay off catalogue [/STRIKE]
    pay family member what we owe them
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 March 2018 at 12:10AM
    Mission for March

youngest turns one !
    have £4000 in house savings
    get 3 extra shifts at work / earn £150 in overtime
    complete Macmillan training
    start Nvq (providing funding is approved)
    finish online training for work
    cut down to 5 a day smoking
    cut down on my sugar in my cups of tea
    have a disney board game family night
    go to church at least once
    pay family member what i owe them
    paint bathroom
    take eldest to school on my days off instead of my partner
    send off form for funding for nvq

June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • after this months payment has gone out ive paid £1000 off my loan thats around £400 extra paid off in 4 months.
    catalogue is also paid off now.
    and family member will be paid off this week
    which just leaves my loan at 10,800 or there abouts (its really confusing because it shows on my internet banking excluding the interest. which is 9000 after this months payment is deducted.

ive completed 2 of my 6 online courses i needed to do

4 more to go and i hope to finish them tonight.

heating is on quite high but as always im feeling the cold so im in bed now all the kiddies have gone to bed.
    eldest looked fab for world book day.
  • 3 courses left off to find something to eat . before i continue. both boys are off tomorrow due to the snow
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well done, you're doing great.
  • Eldest had his photo taken yesterday at school for his costume he was one of three out of the class of 35. :)
    Everyone commented on how good the outfit was and how amazing the make up was :) so points to the partner for doing amazing makeup/facepaint for him.

Today we are just going to have a chill out day mainly . I'll get some stuff done around the house but we won't be going anywhere it's too cold at most we may go for a quick walk in the snow.

I sent an item back for a refund but hadn't heard anything so emailed the company they are trying to track it down. Failing that I'll have to contact royal mail.

Today I need to hoover. Do laundry etc.

I'm also going to right a list of everything we want in our new house or everything we want to do to it. I think seeing it all and knowing what we want and hoping we will get a house and do everything to it to make it our dream home may help spur us on with saving .
    One thing I definitely want to put in is fitted wardrobe In all the bedrooms. I'd like to fit a whirl pool bath in the bathroom as the jets will really help with my muscles. And I'd like a kitchen / dining room or do an open plan conversion so we have a kitchen and dining area in one room. I'd eventually like to add a utility room and downstairs toilet and eventually possibly a loft conversion. :) those are the main things. And that would be a perfect family home for us.

So ultimately once we have brought we need to continue to save for another 4/5 years for the extensions / conversions as I won't do them unless we have the money in the back to pay for it. I will not be remorgaging or taking out loans etc. I hope to move before eldest turns 14 (which would be in line with our 5 year plan) and then do the loft conversion by the time he's 18 youngest will be 8 and middle child 12 . Other than a loft conversion the other option would be to use the savings towards a bigger property. Either way by the time eldest is 18 I'd like 4 bedrooms so the children have a bedroom each.
    Ultimately the quicker we move the quicker we will be paying off a mortgage instead of renting and the quicker we can save to do whatever option we choose regarding the aim for 4 bedrooms. This is providing we don't go for a part buy and one of the reasons I don't want to go down the part buy route.

Also another positive. I've been on my medication for my bipolar for the longest amount of time without stopping or missing any since being prescribed it 12 months ago. I'm in week 5 now and Im feeling better already.

I want to look for full time employment next year depending on what I'm studing and how much time I have. I Have considered staying where I am and signing up with an agency to get some extra hours. Or doing some cleaning or registering as a child minder. I'll just see how I feel nearer the time.
  • we have done away with a TV in the lounge for a few months now. We have a projector. And use it for about an hour a day or too watch films as a family or me and my partner watch a film once the kids have gone to bed occasionally. I don't think id ever have a TV in the lounge again. We have one in our bedroom but again it's rarely used. Since getting rid of the telle. The kids are playing more eldest will willingly read each night and sometimes during the day at weekends. In the summer they will spend much more time outdoors. And we are spending alot more time as a family. Playing board games has become a regular thing.

I'm currently sat under a blanket about to read my book. I hope to finish it before the end of the month. Baby is asleep. Two boys are playing together nicely in their room.
    Life has changed so much in the last 12 months. And everything has been for the better. We no longer go to town every weekend wasting money on stuff that we don't really need. We no longer spend more than we have coming in each month. We actually have Savings and on average since December we have paid off 500 a month off our debts. We no longer have contract phones or subscription tv and we don't miss it.

Life is good. And I'm enjoying our journey for the most part.

That reminds me I still have the money in our box to order a national trust pass. I must do that soon. :)
  • debtaghh wrote: »
    Well done, you're doing great.

thank-you :)
  • we spent £70 in sainsburys yesterday on books for the eldest - he loves reading ... and junk food. this isnt a common occurance so much anymore but even so it needs to stop!

apart from that slip up this month will be essential spends only

once eldest has read the books we have brought him ill be taking a trip to the library with him and getting him a library card. he can take upto 12 books out at a time for 3 weeks and can renew online. he can read a book in a month (averaging 200-300 pages) so i think using the library is a must from now on.

ill also be telling my partner about the ebook rental they do. :) we are very fortunate too have 2 libraries in our nearest city so we really have no excuse not to use their services, you can also rent dvds from their so this is really something i want to look into this month if possible . it will secretly save us a small fortune in the long run.

ive also set up a social media page documenting our savings journey, which ive also found helpful :)
  • Work have just phoned they have got someone who lives more local to work to cover my shift as I'm the other side of town and my manager and deputy are worried about me driving back home late tomorrow night. It means I will loose a day pay but I really don't care. At least I'm not risking my life trying to get home from work.
    Tonight I have 3 more study things to do.
    I'm going to do at least one and then have a bath and an early night as the baby has been really unsettled the last few nights.

Today has gone really slow. It been nice. I haven't got much done and I'm still trying to chase my parcel that seems to have gone missing :mad:

Tonights plan.
    Tea and tidy up.
    Bath kids
    Do my course
    Have a bath.
    Snuggle in bed and watch a Film.

The few days rest have done me good (how I was rota'd this week) but I cant wait to get back into work.
    I've decided to leave studying my degree for a while. I'm going to get all my nvqs providing I qualify for funding / 24+ loan. And once youngest is at school I'm going to do my access to higher education and then apply for mental health nursing. This is something I need to talk to DP about though because if I'm to go and d OK nursing he will need to be working full time.

Today is a no spend day! First one in March. Hopefully the first of many.
    I'm going to take some time to read the frugal living thread and a few others to get some more tips on how we can cut back so we can save more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure