22 Foxhole East

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dad-off-the-playground-plasterer had been round and quoted. He starts in 3 weeks and it will be finished before December. I have seen his work on the Book of Face. He quoted less than 1/3 of the only other dude who actually gave a price. Very excited now.

So glad I stocked up on scrapers and de-icer. I have had to use it twice now. Brrr. Got up this morning and had to put the heating on. I need to start setting it to come on regularly now, can't complain though, it is November! Six months on six months off.

Got in touch with L&C about remortgaging, like Martin says.
    Got a voicemail from the terrible mortgage broker who arranged our mortgage and I complained about, asking me to contact them for their advice on remortgaging. I mean they messed up over and over again, admitted everything had gone wrong, and then have the nerve to ask me to be a repeat customer!! They have no shame.
    Needless to say they can whistle, but I will let them chase me for a bit.

So I am back to stripping wallpaper and saving money to pay for plastering. Then decorating as much as I can before Xmas. Very very excited to actually be getting another thing off the list.

Blimey it's cold though!!
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Oh yeah, DS1 came home on Friday with a request for a deposit for a geography field trip around April next year, so had to write a cheque for £20 - the trip is £162 but at least I have time to pay it in installments and I can plan. It is just down the road from where I take them in Norfolk, and where DS3 is going in May - so at least they will know where they are going! Shame the schools don't use the YHA though.
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Great news on the plasterer!

Electrician was here today and all the cabling is now in the walls in the dining room rather than hanging from the ceiling. He's back tomorrow to do the office, hall and sitting room. Apparently the builders are also turning up, so I have a list of what I want them to do... they'll then be back at the end of the week and have until Christmas (with time for me to clear up) to get the filling, decorating and flooring done.

If they get it done, then in January we'll be doing the decorating and flooring in the kitchen & utility and possibly replacing the front and back doors depending on how much money is left.

Kitchen will have to wait for a bonus, but the end is in sight.

I start a new job towards the end of January, so need the place to be civilised by then. However, gardening leave means I'm available to keep a close eye on the builders ;)
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Did I mention DS2 is on report at school? He is in trouble for ... (wait for it)....... daydreaming. So he keeps getting detention for accruing behaviour points for 'not being ready to learn'. He is not being disruptive, or rude, and his marks for his work are good and he is getting lots of academic points and his teachers are happy with him, but he is off thinking about something else in his head.

So he has to get a form signed by each teacher he has, each day, for 3 weeks, to say if he has 'behaved' although it is not his behaviour that is at issue, it is 'thinking'.
    Yay me!! I have DS1 who gets detention for reading (albeit at the wrong times) and DS2 who gets detention for 'thinking/daydreaming' in class. What will Ds3 be in trouble for I wonder - overuse of iambic pentameter? maybe DS4 will get detention for contempory dance in the playground.

Rules are rules though, so if he continues to daydream and get good marks, then the next step is exclusion.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    How ridiculous foxholes!
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So for daydreaming read - bored out of his mind because he is already 10 steps ahead!
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    So for daydreaming read - bored out of his mind because he is already 10 steps ahead!

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

Ask them what they are going to do to keep him focussed. He clearly needs challenging.
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    The SURVEYOR is coming on Friday!
    With the interest rate rise last week and a lot of the 0 fee 1.5% remortgage offers being pulled, I thought I would have a look. We are fixing for 2 years at 1.59% before the budget next week. We only need to borrow £108,500 and we have decided to raise the amount we pay a month from £487 to £530 and in so doing, we will knock 4 years off the mortgage. DH was paying £500 a month anyway, as a slight overpayment, but the extra £30 will not really be noticeable and I will keep on overpaying when I can afford to.

Saw Dad-on-the-playground-plasterer and he said hello, and did not try and hide from me, so I assume all is well to start the plastering before December! Very excited.

I have all the money saved and can't wait for it to be out of my account.

We are taking down the shower cubicle this weekend and having a look at the mess underneath it. We know two floorboards are rotten, where the water has leaked for years, but have been told the joists look to be ok. Will check this and then buy some replacement floorboards, and then some lino and put it down until we can afford to do the shower properly.

Spent today cleaning and tidying and sorting out the mess that is in DH's side of the living room - he has his rubbish spread all over the coffee table, and the sofa over there so that only one person can sit there. Anyway, I have sorted 90% of it, put it away (he will never find it) and thrown away a million empty cardboard boxes, and envelopes, and jiffy bags, and tiny paint pots.

So after a hoover and change of all bedding tomorrow (including hamsters ) I will only have the kitchen and downstairs bathroom left to sort out.

Sat down to have a cuppa before getting the kids from school. Wednesday is the only school night with no clubs. Blessed Wednesdays! It was still dark at 7.15 this morning, and it was definitely dark at 4.30 when I was picking up DS1 last night.

Starting to feel all 'wintery' now.

Just want my plastering done so I can get out my paintbrushes........
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    I have played a total blinder.

The school does a Xmas Jumper day for Save the Children. £1 donation. Last year I made pompoms and sewed them onto jumpers for the kids like a wreath. They were unimpressed so I thought this year I would keep an eye open in the CS for some. Less than £10 spent I have a red fluffy reindeer jumper, a snowman with a 3D knitted carrot nose jumper, and bought one for myself as the Head commented on my lack of a jumper last year (grrrrr) so I found this one which was not tooooooo hideous, and then went to wash them all at the weekend so they are ready for the 'do' on the 8th Dec. When I looked at the label for mine, it said no washing, no tumble drying, no dry cleaning.... ???? Then I found a switch.?????
    The bloody thing has a full on flashing light display!!!! Well take that Head teacher! A totally unexpected and unintentional 10/10 I think.

Christmas decoration morning - here I come!!

On the less good side, my kids have left the doors / windows open on my car one time too many, and my SATNAV has gone missing sometime in the last 5 weeks. Will have to pick up a cheapy somewhere. Boo!
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    Maybe the kids could have a satnav for Christmas? :)

Great news on the christmas jumpers... and the surveyor and the mortgage. And the plasterer.

I have an infestation of builders now and they are making good progress... I think they may well have finished everything except the kitchen/utility before Christmas, and will do the rest (other than fitting the kitchen as I still don't have that) in early January. I have no idea how much it will cost or how I will pay for it but I really need to get it done before I start my new job in mid-January.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback