edited 26 July 2017 at 12:19PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Solarplicity (previously LOCO2 Energy)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• I moved into a small two bedroom flat with three storage heaters at the end of 2011, and switched to LoCo2 from EDF for reasons of price and eco-friendliness. The switch was uneventful and pain free.

They bill me three monthly, either by paper or email (my choice), and accept my readings by phone or email. Perhaps the best thing about them is that you can ring the phone number and a real normal human will answer almost immediately, and get whatever you are calling for sorted out.

They build, own and run something like 10 small hydro-electric generators and offer a variety of tariffs (a bit renewable to all renewable) and send out a newsletter maybe once a year with background stuff about the company.

The only glitch has been when my bill shot up unexpectedly, and I discovered that my Day and Night rates had been switched around… this may well have been from a meter reader error though. Whatever the case, it was sorted rapidly and re-billed quickly.

In general I am happy with them, and would probably only switch if someone offered a deal significantly cheaper. Having dealt with large companies who are incredibly difficult to contact, the ease of communication has been a definite plus. I never realised that customer service really is worth paying a little more for, to avoid high blood pressure :)
  • I had no problem with switching to them or with the day to day running/billing.
    When I left, it took far longer than expected - I suspect that this may have been the fault of my new supplier (M & S).
    After some weeks had passed I hadn't got a final bill from them: I emailed to this effect and got an immediate response, apology and a bill 2 days later - both by post and email. The bill said that my credit has been paid into my bank and would be in my account after 3 days. It wasn't ! I emailed again, immediate response again - money paid in 3 days.

To sum up: their admin system isn't perhaps quite what it could be - BUT, your emails do seem to be read, your problem understood by a real human being and are then resolved quickly.

I would certainly say that they are worth trying - I would go to them again despite their little hiccups.
  • ive been with them for whole of 2013-14 no problems.

I could even pay my bill by card over the phone every quartre without incurring any extra charges or different levels of payment than if i paid by direct debit.

That was the biggest plus for this company - escaping the annoying issue of ridiculous increases in direct debit payments and just paying for what i used.

They're small, reliable and approachable. Never had a problem phoning and getting anything i needed done. Not online account based which was fine though i think they said they might be doing that later.

For eco types - it's nice to feel how small scale green leccy companies can not only offer some of the cheapest energy prices but do so without damaging the environment. Just feels more humbler than the big giants.

Worth doing a price check when your package ends though to add they were clear at explaining their best package to migrate on to and what would happen if i just leave things as my term with them came to an end.
  • been comparing elec tarriffs and tried to get a quote from LOCO2 , there website does'nt let you get a quote not the best introduction to a company i have ever had.:(
  • lvf
    lvf Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    barmyhead wrote: »
    been comparing elec tarriffs and tried to get a quote from LOCO2 , there website does'nt let you get a quote not the best introduction to a company i have ever had.:(

You're kidding, right? It's the first thing I noticed on their home page, in a big blue box.

Here is a direct link:
    https://quotations.loco2energy.com/
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    been comparing elec tarriffs and tried to get a quote from LOCO2 , there website does'nt let you get a quote not the best introduction to a company i have ever had.:(

Are you not using a comparison site? :huh:
    The details will be there. (they must have them to calculate the annual cost)
    You could be missing out on possible cashback by attempting to go direct.
  • RayL
    RayL Posts: 2 Newbie

There is a problem with their website.

I was unable to get a quote for electricity ONLY - unless I 'lied' by saying I didn't have a gas supply.

If I admit to the gas supply, I could only get a dual fuel quote.
  • I switched to LoCo2 because of the eco credentials although they were not the cheapest. I had no trouble either moving to them, moving away and with the account. Customer service was fine, no long waits, and the bills were detailed. they did try to up my monthly payment but backed down when I rang them.
    I moved to EDF which was a mistake. Wish I'd stayed where I was.
  • So im ending my 2nd year with this company.

Well i like it that they are green energy, affordable and still a small company.

They still come up 2nd cheapest on the market which is great news. The only cheaper is isupply and the continuation of complaints there about customer service makes horrible reading.

Loco2 went through some changes in 2014 - they seemed to implement some kind of monthly statement system regardless of submitted readings or prior arrangements. Seems a bit like a skeletal system for a future monthly direct debit system.

As i have now paid for 2 years over the phone quarterly bills generated when i submit meter readings my arrangement was disrupted and staff couldn't seem to handle my method of payment i had been used to. I found this very frustrating for about three months as i automatically began to receive these new annoying monthly statements which were meaningless because they were estimated and didn't tally with any quarterly bill system i was used to. Repeat requests to staff to revert to my old arrangement produced repeat unfulfilled assurances that it had been re-implimented.

However to give them their due, after a particularly heated 3rd complaint a single staff member approached me and re-instated the arrangement through a new system whereby I now approach her directly by email and the quarterly bills works again well. I now pay by quarterly bill over the phone and do not receive those annoying monthly statements. This is the kind of rare human touch which keeps me at Loco2.

There are no problems with talking to a human person with this company. I rue the day this company grows too big and loses this basic human touch. Maybe the little extra it costs me over going with isupply is payment worth making because i'm in complete control of all payments and i have (except for the issue reported above) had no undue stress or fear of approaching them.

Because i can pay-as-i-go - i have never had any issues with needing to reclaim excess credit payments. This company are quite a relaxed and reliable crew and i couldn't imagine too much difficulty making arrangements with them which actually work well.

So, all said, think i will be staying with Loc2 for a third year.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    RayL wrote: »
    There is a problem with their website.

I was unable to get a quote for electricity ONLY - unless I 'lied' by saying I didn't have a gas supply.

If I admit to the gas supply, I could only get a dual fuel quote.
    But that applies to a large number of suppliers and best tariffs - it is not a problem, it is a decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure