Has anyone used 'we buy books.co.uk'?

Options

Comments

• Obviously_the_best
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I have loads of autobiographys, do they pay well for them,
    Type in the ISBNs and find out, you don't have to sell once you have a quote
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    Good - I don't read a lot of modern fiction at all, most of my books are non-fiction or history or science or something like that. I do have a couple of biogs too, bought in a fit of 'oh, I ought to read that' but I never got around to it.

Presumably sending the items to them is good value? Do they collect? Do they use a courier?
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, worth giving them a go I think. I've got a few books listed on Amazon but other sellers have undercut me to the point where I would be losing out to sell them any lower :/
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • CrazyRatLady_2
    Options
    Crowqueen wrote: »
    Good - I don't read a lot of modern fiction at all, most of my books are non-fiction or history or science or something like that. I do have a couple of biogs too, bought in a fit of 'oh, I ought to read that' but I never got around to it.

Presumably sending the items to them is good value? Do they collect? Do they use a courier?

Royal mail with printable free postage label, but you'll need to box things up yourself. There's different labels for under 5kg and between 5-20kg. Over that weight and also over a certain number of books (I think) then you can get a courier to pick them up.

It explains it all on their website.

Depends what you think of as good value - personally I'd rather sell to them for 30p than have the hassle of listing online only to maybe sell it for 99p if I'm lucky and have to pay fees etc. On certain books you might want to do your research and maybe sell them on amazon etc instead but personally I like the hassle free method of selling to webuybooks.

Incidentally my cheque finally arrived from zapper today aswell.
    £2012 in 2012 member #15: £651.55/£2012
  • Crowqueen
    edited 22 June 2012 at 7:59PM
    Options
    I have spare cardboard boxes, from a couple of consumer purchases on Amazon, just kicking around my room at the moment, so that will kill two birds with one stone.

I've got a lot of options at the moment. Amazon and eBay are not selling for me right now, but I have a number of older books to sell, which usually do OK on eBay (though I am going to have to restrict myself to FLWs in order not to rack up huge fees as I've paid out about £10 on fees and packaging materials but only had a £3 sale!). I can also sell into the autumn but I desperately need shelf space so might be tempted if I can accumulate their minimum offer.

Amazon also have a trade-in dealership but I don't see a huge number of the items I actually have on their system.

I just need to get rid, but I also need at least some return as I need the cash. Otherwise everything would have gone to Oxfam a long time ago - they have a fantastic bookshop in Reading that approaches the quality of a good s/h bookshop and I must spend hundreds of pounds there every year.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

• CrazyRatLady_2
    Options
    I think I've sold to webuybooks about 3 times this year and make £60, about £30 through zapper probably - that's mainly my books I don't want anymore and some I picked up on sale at the library for a bargain, to make up the minimum order amounts.

The ones those websites don't want I either give to a local charity shop or take into the local second hand shop who have a sort of part exchange system going on.
  • Crowqueen
    Options
    Nice if you can get it.

I'd just spend it on more books, but...

• CrazyRatLady_2
    Options
    Oh I'm always acquiring more books - infact I'm almost wishing the companies offered amazon vouchers as a payment method :P
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I suggest comparing prices to Amazon first. An expensive reference book is £28 trade in on Amazon is not worth anything on this site. Lower price books, Amazon offer slightly higher prices and have an extra £5 voucher if the total is over £10, up until 30th June.

Of course, it's Amazon vouchers rather than hard cash though
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • Crowqueen
    Options
    I have all three sites open - I will probably give things a spin on eBay first, then try Amazon or Amazon trade-in, then WeBuyBooks.

What I guess you have to be careful about, obviously, is not sending anything off to WBB that they won't accept as you don't get them back unless you collect them - they pulp the excess.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure