Want something removed from medical records?

Hi.
I went to my GP last year about an issue which I will not go into. My doctor asked me whether I had been suicidal or not and I said I had been when I haven’t. I was very uneducated and didn’t really understand what was involved in being suicidal. What I was referring to was that I have wondered what I would be like to die but never considered it it was a matter of curiosity like all kids get and that was only once, ever in my life.
Now, I’m wondering whether I can have this removed from my medical record as it is incorrect and I don’t want people to see this and think I have a history of being suicidal when I DONT!
In the data protection act it says I have a rich to view my medical records but my medical records also “must be accurate” which at the moment they aren’t.
Would anyone be able to help

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    https://www.gponline.com/dilemma-patient-wants-information-removed-record/article/1403044

Says only as an edit later to reflect your view , not a removal
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    If you told your GP you were suicidal then I imagine you received treatment at the time for a serious mental health problem and that will stay on your medical file.

If you didn’t receive any treatment, then the GP didn’t take the statement seriously and it will be clear from the context in which this has been recorded that it was regarded as a wild statement not a genuine expression of intent.

So probably nothing to be gained either way from worrying about it
  • Eterni wrote: »
    In the data protection act it says I have a rich to view my medical records but my medical records also “must be accurate” which at the moment they aren’t.
    Would anyone be able to help

Which it was, as you said it.

Removal of said note would be inaccurate, which is obviously against the rules.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Who are you concerned about seeing this? For most people their medical records get glanced at rapidly before your doctor calls your name when you have an appointment, no-one has time or interest to read the things.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport