My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• I've seen these like kit houses too, and they look amazing. I would also consider living in one of them as well.

I have contemplated selling my house, but then change my mind as I want the stability the house gives me at the minute. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Nicnak wrote: »
    I've seen these like kit houses too, and they look amazing. I would also consider living in one of them as well.

I have contemplated selling my house, but then change my mind as I want the stability the house gives me at the minute. x

I know what you mean Nicnak,I love the idea of these tiny houses and from living in bedsits when I first left home ( admiitedly they were grotty bedsits but studio flats have come a long way since then) I know how hard it can be living in a small space,however I didn't know about minimalism then so would be more attuned to living in a smaller space now,I'm thinking ahead to my retirement and how I might want to live then,My DD2 has always said when she can afford a nice house she will make sure it has provision for an annex for me,I'm not holding her to this of course but I know I could live in that kind of space

The thing about most of the people on the videos I watched is that they had a plot of land they could put their house on,a lot of these plots were owned but their parents so that makes it easy and more affordable for a start,I would have to find and buy land and pay for the building of the house and my budget would not be very big so it wouldn't be so easy for me

Living where I am land is expensive so I would have to maybe move and there is also the planning restrictions involved,it's definitely doable but it would require careful planning, the ideal solution would be for my DD to buy a house with a large garden and build it there,thankfully our relationship is the kind where i think we could actually do that,I'm not one for interfering and wanting to spend all our time together so we although we would be living in close proximity we wouldn't be in each other's pockets all the time,even though we share a house now we don't actually spend that much time together so I think it could work

The house I'm living in at the moment is a shared ownership so I only own half of it and pay rent on the other half,this means when I retire I will have paid off my mortgage but I will still have rent to pay which at the rate of inflation as it is now will probably be the same amount that my mortgage and rent combined is costing me now,my income will be drastically reduced so looking for alternatives is the name game for me,at the moment it would be quite complicated to sell my house and I am quite happy here so it works for now but I think in the future I'm going to have to look at other options
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • What a lovely warm day today,I've just been for a walk with the dog around the river and although it's cloudy it's nice and warm,there was also someone down there riding a horse which is an unusual thing to see down there,it reminded me of how much I miss riding and how long it's been since I last went,I really must get back to it soon
    Today I have a few jobs to do but nothing too strenuous,I'm having a semi relaxing day today,I am going to do the ironing in a bit and possibly sort out a few things to get rid of that I can do sitting down then I'm going to paint some doll house furniture, I haven't touched it for months so today I'm spending some time on my hobby
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agree about tiny space living, I think I could happily live in a mobile home and have often though about buying one and putting it on a site. I know I would have to pay site fees and some sites close for a period over winter , but I love the idea.

Have just finished my ironing and am having a little sit down.
  • I agree about tiny space living, I think I could happily live in a mobile home and have often though about buying one and putting it on a site. I know I would have to pay site fees and some sites close for a period over winter , but I love the idea.

Have just finished my ironing and am having a little sit down.

I've just finished mine too and I'm having a cup of tea before starting the next job
    I've looked at a lot of park homes in the past and wouldn't be averse to living in one,there is a lovely site on the outskirts of where I live and I wouldn't mind living there,it's set in amongst a woodland area and is gorgeous,the homes aren't massively expensive either but still probably out of my price range for when I retire
  • Omg,I don't think I'm honestly going to ever be able to enjoy my garden again, next door bought their two boys a trampoline for Xmas and they are on it all the time they are home,this wouldn't bother me but these two boys do not know how to play,they spend their whole time shouting at each other,hurting each other and then screaming and crying about it,their language is terrible,the f word is every other word
    DD has an exam tomorrow and is trying to revise and she can't concentrate because of the racket these two boys are making,she is getting really stressed out,I'm not going to be able to let DGS go out in the garden in the summer because of the language being used

They don't know how to play,their parents don't know how to discipline them,their dad whines at them in the same tone of voice they use with him,it's driving me mad today,I'm sitting here in my living room which is on the other side of the house to where they are playing and all I can hear is them screaming and crying
    Does anyone remember the cartoon Beavis and Butthead,that is who they sound like but ten times louder
    I've got to go out there now to do the chickens and I'm dreading it
  • Oh no :(. I thought our neighbour's children were noisy :(. We hear a lot of screaming from next door and the mum shouting all the time. DS1 said he heard her yelling the other day "You're a horrible horrible girl and you're going to get a good smack in a minute" :eek:. The next day the mum was shouting away but I could only make out the words "toilet roll":eek:. I call the mum Mrs Shouty :rotfl:.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Oh dear...much as I love children, there is nothing worse than noisy neighbours and screaming kids when you want to sit in your garden or have your window open. Our lovely neighbours have their house on the market and I am hoping they don't sell to anyone noisy :eek:
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That's going to be annoying. Our neighbours' kids had a trampoline when they were younger - no bad language & a nice family, but it wasn't shrieking & noisy playing which got to me at all......it was the trampoline springs (or whatever they use for boingy-ness) going 'Kadoing, kadoing, kadoing, kadoing' for seemingly hours at a time. They outgrew their interest in it though, as your neighbours will too. And I told myself that they have to put up with my piano, lol. The awful language is an issue. My old neighbours at my last house couldn't utter a sentance without using the eff word as a noun, adjective, verb & everything else in between. And always uttered at top volume.
    I think you'll need some 'neighbour-cancelling headphones!'
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • That's awful. Their language as well, how dreadful to hear.

It must be awful for DD trying to revise? If they don't get a handle on them now, it is going to be awful in a few year for them when they are teenagers and go off the handle. Not assuming they will, but if they can't control them as children, how the hell will they cope when they are adults?

x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills