Add your feedback on energy supplier Shell Energy (formerly First Utility)

Options

Comments

• Skeksis
    Skeksis Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Jadejadey wrote: »
    Hi there,

this is my first post on here as I’m doin this on behalf of my mom.

She has been with first utility since 2015 and has not once recieved any correspondence from them. After my mom recently contacted them, they declared that she was in arrears for over £300. When my mom questions this they said they had sent numerous emails to her stating they needed a reading and that she was on an estimated reading. After much digging it turns out first utility had the wrong email address and they never tried to contact my mom by any other method other than email.

It seems crazy that a company would allow my mom to go into debt all these years and not tell her. She was originally on a fixed term as she switched to them from somewhere else, once the fixed term run out my mom carried on paying them a monthly fee but they claim it wasn’t enough, little did my mom know.

Can anyone suggest a best way forward as they have now taken over £100 in January then she now owes over £400 in the space of 2 weeks even though they have taken £100 odd pound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

King regards

Jade

Hi, the obvious option is to open a formal complaint with them, but in my experience it won't have any conclusive resolution, the buck will be passed between departments and staff with nothing actually being done, and yes, they don't like communicating by any other method than email, admirable for the environment but not for effective communication! Oh, and don't trust or believe a word they say. Sorry I can't offer any more advice.
  • Umiamz
    Umiamz Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was with FU for 4 years and never had any problems with them. Being able to pay by variable DD (i.e. paying for exactly how much you use each month) was a bonus. They were a bit of a pain in the backside when it came to trying to get me to have smart meters, but no other complaints.

I only left because there were cheaper options.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone who was switched from Usio to FU, and then moved onwards,had a final bill yet??
  • brewerdave
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Has anyone who was switched from Usio to FU, and then moved onwards,had a final bill yet??

Just had my final bill from FU - All wrong ! Different opening read from Usio closing read as shown in statements supplied by FU (in their favour) .
    Incorrect standing charge used for the period from 3rd November and the closing read is not the same as supplied to One Select when I moved away! Overall it makes a difference of ~ £15. Wonder how long it will take them to respond to my email:mad:
  • brewerdave
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just had my final bill from FU - All wrong ! Different opening read from Usio closing read as shown in statements supplied by FU (in their favour) .
    Incorrect standing charge used for the period from 3rd November and the closing read is not the same as supplied to One Select when I moved away! Overall it makes a difference of ~ £15. Wonder how long it will take them to respond to my email:mad:

Just found a "mail delivery failed " message - the email address on the bill doesn't exist! Anyone got the correct email addy for FU customer services??
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    Their website offers a chat facility, which you could try.

https://www.first-utility.com/contact-us
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • brewerdave
    edited 14 February 2019 at 12:18PM
    Options
    Just been on Messenger with their CS. It was like bashing my head against a brick wall! Don't think they understood the issue - they want me to raise a dispute about opening read with them -and a dispute with One Select about closing read.

Basically said it was my fault about higher standing charges as I hadn't set up a DD ,EVEN THO' they didn't email me about setting up until 10 days after I'd switched away!!
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopefully you have all the readings and the date they asked you to set up a DD, for when you take this to the Ombudsman.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    Won't be taking to the EO - We are only ~ £12 overbilled currently -so worse case it won't be worth pursuing -just annoys me that they sent me the last Usio bill - but opened their first and only bill with a different reading.
  • Former_MSE_Stephen_B
    Options
    Energy and broadband supplier First Utility has been renamed Shell Energy, a year after it was bought by the oil and gas giant Shell.

More here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/03/first-utility-changes-its-name-to-shell-energy/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback