Brand new home Energy bills seem to be extortionate

124»

Comments

• st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2019 at 12:11AM
    STOP using the In House Display ! Read your actual meter !

Why should he not read his in house display?

I have a smart meter and my IHD shows me what my meter readings are and it gives me more info than my meter does and the meter reads are the same.

If my meter reads 2345.61 my IHD reads 2345.61
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    st999 wrote: »
    Why should he not read his in house display?

1) We already believe that the tariff rates shown the IHD are the original BG ones and not Octopus. To me that means that every bit of financial info shown is incorrect.

2) To me looking at the IHD for short periods does not give an overall picture of usage. I believe Jasond needs to get a longer view - perhaps at least a week or a month and keep a diary alongside. With that info he can drill down a bit.

I appreciate that Jasond believes he is a minimal user but that is not shown in his monthly bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My daughter is also in dispute with Octopus. She moved house in December and her monthly DD with Octopus continued to be £88, the same as the previous property. I am also with them and pay £78/mth.
    We compared kwh usage in January and we had both used roughly the same. Octopus now want to increase her DD to £107/mth, saying that her monthly readings are higher than expected.
    Yes, they'll be higher than her average monthly readings because it's winter.
    She's questioning this with them.
    Octopus have been ok but they don't have a call centre. It's all done via email, which isn't always the best but at least you're not hanging on hold.
    It'll be interesting to see what they say.
    Her new house is more energy efficient than her other one. The heating is on less and her kwh usage is no more than before for winter months!
  • Robin9
    Forumite
    LMS123 wrote: »
    My daughter is also in dispute with Octopus. She moved house in December and her monthly DD with Octopus continued to be £88, the same as the previous property. I am also with them and pay £78/mth.
    We compared kwh usage in January and we had both used roughly the same. Octopus now want to increase her DD to £107/mth, saying that her monthly readings are higher than expected.
    Yes, they'll be higher than her average monthly readings because it's winter.
    She's questioning this with them.
    Octopus have been ok but they don't have a call centre. It's all done via email, which isn't always the best but at least you're not hanging on hold.
    It'll be interesting to see what they say.
    Her new house is more energy efficient than her other one. The heating is on less and her kwh usage is no more than before for winter months!

LMS123 it would be best if you started your own thread so that the advice doesn't get confused with Jasond

The standard questions :

Meter readings - Actual or Estimated; does your daughter read her meters and give them to Octopus

Bills - was the first account in credit or debit.
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry Robin. I was just wondering if there's a common problem with Octopus and their DD estimates.
    When my daughter moved she was up to date with all payments with Octopus and started afresh, but on the same tariff, at the new house.
    She has given 2 or 3 readings in 2 months.
    No worries. Am sure it'll sort itself as she's awaiting an email reply from them which should clarify.
  • Robin9
    Forumite
    Jasond - can you update us please ?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP, stop obsessing about what power your lights/router/TV is using. About 80% of your total energy usage is used for space heating and hot water, if averaged over a year. Let's get the basics sorted: how is the house heated and hot watered?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport