Medical emergency

Anyone had any success with claiming flight delay compensation when the plane you are awaiting had to return to base due to a medical emergency on board...?

Comments

• I seem to recall (couldn't find it here) an example where a medical emergency was unforeseeable. It seems so to me, but logic seems to exit the window quite frequently in these matters so a check via the nwnf lot would be worthwhile.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A medical emergency is outside the airlines control so compensation is not due
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As I read it the emergency was not on the op's flight but the incoming flight to pick them up.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Depends where the medical emergency occurred. If the plane you are on has to return due to a medical emergency then no. If you are returning from holiday for example and the plane that had to turn back was the one to bring you home then again the answer is no. BUT as is common planes actually do several trips in a day. If during one of those trips the plane had been delayed due to the emergency and your delay is due to the knock on effect then yes you are entitled to claim. The regulations assume that the airline has several planes standing by just in case, they don’t of course. The airline will most probably try to argue it does but they are just trying it on. Happened to me where it happened to an earlier flight and they had to pay out.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think your understanding is correct, if your flight is not directly affected by the medical emergency you have a valid claim.
    Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    The regulations assume that the airline has several planes standing by just in case

Maybe at their base airport but it's not a given this would have prevented the delay in the OP's case. It's greatly premature to say the OP has a valid claim, there's simply not enough details to decide either way.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jpsartre wrote: »
    It's greatly premature to say the OP has a valid claim, there's simply not enough details to decide either way.

There is, you just cannot see it or understand it, so you criticise people who can and do. Totally negative!
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Maybe it's just me, but trying to claim compo due to a medical emergency on the incoming flight is just wrong. Just because you can or may be able to, doesn't mean you have to, or should.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It works both ways The airlines should abide by Eu261/2004 but often don't and should pay compensation and often don't. When they abide by the regulations we might treat them differently.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    It was an Emirates flight from Dubai that was due in at 07:00 for us to board at 08:45 hours. However that particular flight had to turn back to base, as a medical emergency occurred and once they have got that sorted out the flight then took off again for us to board eventually at 15:45 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure