Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Comments

• cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I recently had a shunt when turning out of a side turning and due to the age(16yrs) and damage my insurance company say it's a write-off and will now affect my 10yrs no claims as it's my fault.

I have a fully comp policy which adds no benefit in this case.

If I decide not to claim I will still have to insure the safely repaired car with another company.

How will this affect my next policy as they always have contact with your previous insurer ?
  • CelineDior wrote: »
    The best thing for me was that I wouldn't have to have a black box so now I feel more free!
    More free to do what?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    More free to do what?

Celine needs to be careful that her "Heart Will Go On"
  • Anyone else tried this MSE link?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/91f037c9

For us, it was three times several lowest quotes from any other comparison site.
  • DaveO
    DaveO Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2019 at 1:08PM
    Just got my renewal quote £216.

Went through quidco which is offering cashback via GoCompare and found the exact same policy with the same insurer for £172 and that is before the cashback (which of course may or may not track) so it's still considerably cheaper.

I know from past experience the insurer will not match the £172 never mind the extra £28 cashback so the question is this:

Can I cancel my existing policy (i.e. tell them not to auto renew it) and then buy the same policy with the same insurer via quidco/go compare?
  • pkempc
    pkempc Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Many thanks for the Car Insurance cost cutting system which i spent a few hours following to the letter.

Last year my wife and I insured our respective cars separately with Halifax ( BISL ) and we paid
    a total of £313.72 as 'new' customers. This year they increased the premium by 26 % to £ 396.64.

This year by following the guide I have managed to get both vehicles insured with Admiral for £ 279.00 plus Quidco cashback of at least £20 ( Confused.com) and possibly a further £ 55.00 ( Admiral ) still to be confirmed.

So a saving of at least £ 117.64 by not autorenewing and spending a few hours shopping around.

However, please do be careful when keying in figures as I mistakenly thought my wife had 9 years NCD - the same as me - but she actually has 7 and when Admiral recalculated her premium it led to no difference in the price but Admiral asking for a £ 30 administration charge..........

Thu 21/02/2019 14:32
    Hello Karen,
    Important information about your policy
    Thank you for providing some details of your proof of No Claims Bonus. A discrepancy has been highlighted in regards to your no claims bonus.
    In order to confirm your details, we would be grateful if you could send us a copy of your no claims bonus from your previous insurers within 14 days.
    If we do not receive this document by 07/03/2019 we will reduce your no claims bonus entitlement to 7 years which may increase your premium.
    If there is an additional premium we will apply for the payment 14 days after the change has been made from the card details we hold on file.

Yours sincerely,
    Data Validation Team

TO: validations@admiralgroup.co.uk.
    Thu 21/02/2019 17:43

Apologies - I thought my wife also had 9 years NCB at renewal but according to Halifax ( BISL ) it's only 7 years.
    Please advise what the new premium is.
    Many thanks.
    Paul

Fri 22/02/2019 08:21

Hi,
    Thank you for sending your requested documents to us. To ensure we have the correct information to match your documents we have had to make the following changes to your policy;
    Amended the No Claims Bonus for Karen from 9 years to 7 years.
    This has resulted in an additional balance of £30.00 being applied to your policy. This charge includes an ‘administration fee’ of £30.00. We will debit from the payment details we hold on file on, or shortly after, 08/03/2019. This can take 3-10 days to clear with your bank.
    Confirmation of these changes have been sent in the post and can take 3-5 working days to reach you.
    Yours sincerely
    Data Validation Team

To: customerassurance@admiral.com ; validations@admiralgroup.co.uk.
    Sent: 22 February 2019 09:56:25

Many thanks for the email message.

I note that the difference in the price of the policy for my wife, after changing from 9 years NCD to 7 years NCD, is £ 0.00 and that you have simply added an arbitrary penalty fee of £30.00.

This I feel is wholly disproportionate and as the policies do not take effect until 00:00 hrs on Sunday 24th February 2019 and I am still within the 14 day statutory cancellation period please can you cancel both the policies for myself & my wife and refund in full the amount already paid.

I will arrange cover with another motor insurance underwriter.

Or you can simply not apply the £ 30.00 arbitrary penalty fee......!

Please advise me on your decision.

Regards
    Paul

Fri 22/02/2019 10:05

Hello
    Thank you again for your recent email.
    We apologise for this error. As your policy is due to renew on the 24/02/2019 you shouldn't be charged an administration fee for reducing your wife's No Claims Bonus.
    We have written off the £30.00 charge off the policy and there are no further payments on this policy.
    Yours sincerely
    Data Validation Team
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • Hi

Wasnt sure if this was the best place to ask but hope someone can help!

I have a lease car which is due to go back at the end of april.
    My car insurance (as i transferred it from my old car) ends mid march.

Whats the best way to bridge the gap between march and the end of april?
    I may not have a car immediately once I return the current lease so not sure i want to be tied in for too long unnecessarily.

thanks!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Your choice is either short term cover for the 6 weeks or an annual policy to cover the 6; weeks which you can cancel then if you have no planned replacement

If you don't replace within a fairly short time scale most insurers will cancel the policy and cancellation fees are quite steep after just 2 months cover.

Enquire about the total cost of cancellation after just 2 months from your chosen insurer then do the sums v temp cover to aid your decision
  • Recently got quotes from moneysupermarket.com in advance of buying a new car. Several quotes apparently from different providers (Lloyds, Post Office, Halifax M&S, O2, RAC etc. - all one side or the other of £250. A few days later I was then advised car would be available a day earlier than I thought when getting quotes, so went back to sign up for earlier date. Nothing else changed, apart from filling a mobile telephone number I was advised I had missed off my original submissions. Final act of confirming the purchase requires confirmation of the month of acquisition of the car. Click to confirm and then, as requested, click update and ....... premium goes up to over £400. This happens on all of the half dozen most competitive quotes. All are provided by BISL/Covea.

Called Lloyds helpline who basically said sorry, nothing to do with us, it's all down to the provider, who can change quotes at will. The statement "valid for 30 days" doesn't mean the quote will hold, merely that they'll keep your details live for that long. So it seems if you get a good quote by following the early renewal route recommended then you have to commit to it there and then or you can be shafted by BISL/Covea. I went to Direct Line at just over £300 - straightforward and easy. Not impressed with supposedly "competitive" market quotes all provided through BISL/Covea.
  • I have 4 cars and house insurance all on one policy with Admiral,the renewal came through a few weeks back and it came to £1149 including the monthly direct debit charge so around £96 per month.
    I thought to go through the process of getting quotes for 4 cars and the house was a bit daunting, so I rang Admiral first and yet again they provided excellent customer service and without begging, swearing or threatening to leave,I was offered a review on the policy to see what they could do, and they did very well.
    I took Martins advice and took out the Sainsbury’s 28month interest free credit card as I am very disciplined when it comes to paying my 2% cash back Barclaycard which I use for fuel every month.
    I paid for the policy in full for a total of £824 saving a whooping £325 which is pretty darn good for house and contents and 4 cars they apply more discounts the more you insure and are always happy to try and get you a better price unlike LV who I used to be insured with several years ago.
    Big thank you to Martin and Admiral for appreciating my custom
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure