Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• markipad
    markipad Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    (Ex Iresa customer, placed with Octopus, and self-switched away to Usio as soon as allowed.)

Pleased to report that Octopus have today correctly refunded my credit balance. :j

It took a few weeks, but that was because I initially declined to set up a DD with them; I had been well in credit from Iresa, and was switching away from Octopus anyway. As soon as I explained situation to Octopus, they told me I had to set up a DD to enable them to refund, and they assured me that no debits would be made. This was all correct, and the refund arrived 10 days after I set-up the DD.

All in all, satisfied with the way Octopus conducted my account.
    :T
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm not sure why they need a direct debit set up to refund you or even for you to pay them.

Either you or they could send a cheque or even do it by bank transfer depending on who owed who. A DD might suit them better but it doesn't suit me.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I had to set up a DD with Octopus for them to repay the money they owed me.

I think that it's just their preferred way of doing it.

Once I got the refund, I just cancelled the DD. No problem really.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Finally got my bill, they reckon they owe me £6 which is about right.

I've told them they can send me a cheque or give it to charity but I'm not setting up a DD for six quid
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • markipad
    markipad Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    matelodave wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they need a direct debit set up to refund you or even for you to pay them.

Either you or they could send a cheque or even do it by bank transfer depending on who owed who. A DD might suit them better but it doesn't suit me.

I totally agree, and that's what I said to them; my point was that I did not owe THEM, they owed ME, and why couldn't they just take my bank details from me, or send me a cheque. Just seemed a waste of time, and of course it also meant that they got to hold on to my money for another 10 days. Multiply this by many thousands of customers etc etc..
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I had to set up a DD with Octopus for them to repay the money they owed me.

I think that it's just their preferred way of doing it.

Once I got the refund, I just cancelled the DD. No problem really.

I'm beginning to suspect that the lack of a DD set up with Octopus, is why my account is in stasis. It is still showing the small credit transferred from IRESA, and the final meter reading supplied by USIO (who I switched to) but no bill ,which I calculate at ~ £70 for the period I was with Octopus. Wonder how long it will remain this way ??:)
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I didn`t have a DD set up with Octopus, just made a card payment when their bill arrived.
  • They asked me to set up a DD, which I did, but they refunded me by bank giro credit.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My experience was the same - no refund a month after switching so I chased by email, and was told to set up a DD.

It was a bit of a nonsense though - they had already set-up a DD from Iresa, I had to amend the details with exactly the same sort code and account number.

Why they couldn't have proactively contacted me when my account switched I don't know. A cynic would suggest it gave them the chance to hold onto my money for 40 days.
  • scarlettsimkin
    scarlettsimkin Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 31 October 2018 at 10:58PM
    Octopus is a really great company. Voted #1 by Which

First of all, they are like GiffGaff and don't lock you into a contract - so you can basically leave any time with no fee. They use 100% green energy so it is good for the environment! They are also the UK's largest investor in solar energy. And they also have a really easy to use website and it is v simple to give meter readings. Each time you give a meter reading you are entered into a draw to win money too!

After the first month you can change your fee to whatever you want. So we agreed to a fee for the first month but my household spent way under as it was summer. So I called them up and said we wanted to pay a lower monthly fee and they agreed. As long as we gave regular meter readings. They are just super flexible and easy to use - I am a huge fan! Google them they are really well reviewed.

{Text removed by MSE Forum Team}
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure