competition controversy! again.

Options
So Thomas cook hosted a twitter chat competition to win £3000 in holiday vouchers. competiton and terms here :

https://twitter.com/ThomasCookUK/status/1045712237812310023?s=19

very clearly states 6pm finish.

They picked a winner who entered 13mins after not during the chat at all.
They then recinded on that prize after being told they broke the rules.
They were inundated with messages saying how unfair this is , so they let them have the prize.

They then picked another winner. Problem is they were only given £1000 vouchers and the misdrawn winner was given £3000 . Thread here:

https://twitter.com/ThomasCookUK/status/1050376950496317440?s=19

Personally I feel this is massively unfair, especially on the new winner but also the hundreds who entered fairly!

What's everyone think?

Also, I bet they don't host any competitions for a while now.

:mad:

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 6:31PM
    Options
    I don't see it is a potential loss to anyone [STRIKE]except the redraw winner who maybe only getting £1,000 -[/STRIKE] the other people who entered on time were not drawn as winners anyway so [STRIKE]whether the £3K or £1k was given as a redraw prize doesn't matter as[/STRIKE] they lost.

(having looked further the prize was £1,000 so the Redrawn winner has lost nothing either)

(The only loss is to the promoter who has paid out an additional £1,000)
  • bubblebobble23
    Options
    Firstly shouldn't the redrawn official winner get the full prize? Regardless of the promotors earlier mistake?

Secondly if the first draw was done correctly any of the legitimate entrants might have been drawn, surely it's unfair odds on the original draw .

Thirdly Do you think the first winner should have got a prize at all considering they entered wrongly
  • mjm3346
    Options
    According to the T&Cs £1,000* is the full prize
    Your Chance to Win a Thomas Cook Package Holiday to selected Destinations in Greece worth up to £1000

The correct "odds" applied to the redraw so the first draw is irrelevant.

That would be up to the company, there is nothing to stop them picking a non-competition post by a random person and simply awarding them a gift (bit like many scam e-mails but for real)

*One of the twitter posts mentions £3,000 but not the T&Cs
    The winner can choose to stay in either Corfu, Crete, Kalamata, Kefalonia, Kos, Lesbos, Mykonos, Olympus Riviera, Parga, Rhodes, Santorini, Skiathos, Thassos, Zante. In the event that the holiday chosen by the winner costs more than £1,000, the difference in cost will need to be paid in full by the winner at the time of booking. In the event that the holiday costs less than £1000, there will be no refund due to the winner.
  • LeeRits
    LeeRits Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 October 2018 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Where is the announcement of £3000? Looking at the T&C's it clearly says up to £1000. If they gave £1000 to both then great. Don't know why people are complaining about the first winner, they may not have seen the T&C's or realised the time (i've accidentally entered comps after they've finished). It would be a bit cruel to say "HEY YOU'VE WON!" then say "oh wait sorry no you entered too late"

Realistically, they should have checked the time the first winner entered before saying they'd won.. but then they did another draw for all the people who had entered on time so your chances are exactly the same as they were before?? Couldn't have been more fair than that. If the originally winner entered in time, you wouldn't have had a second chance.

I think the saddest thing is the people who went looking through the first winners posts to check if he entered on time. Then reading some of the comments from users towards the company even after they said "we messed up, we'll pick another winner so you have another chance".. It angers me.

edit: mjm3346 said it better than me :rotfl:
  • bubblebobble23
    Options
    so you don't see any injustice in this at all?

Surely if the first draw had drawn the correct winner then they would have the advertised £3000 prize and someone who was chancing it pretty unjustly wouldn't have it.

The terms prize being different to what was advertised is surely an ASA breech at the least!

seriously imagine if all comps opperated like this.
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    I don't see it is a potential loss to anyone [STRIKE]except the redraw winner who maybe only getting £1,000 -[/STRIKE] the other people who entered on time were not drawn as winners anyway so [STRIKE]whether the £3K or £1k was given as a redraw prize doesn't matter as[/STRIKE] they lost.

(having looked further the prize was £1,000 so the Redrawn winner has lost nothing either)

(The only loss is to the promoter who has paid out an additional £1,000)

Fair play to the promoter who paid out extra in the interests of fair play.

Bet a few of those grumbling about broken rules are happily sharing on Facebook ;) !
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • LeeRits
    LeeRits Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Surely if the first draw had drawn the correct winner then they would have the advertised £3000 prize and someone who was chancing it pretty unjustly wouldn't have it.

The terms prize being different to what was advertised is surely an ASA breech at the least!

Nope. No injustice at all.

It's not £3000. It's £1000. I'm no legal expert but I imagine the T&C's are what is legally binding and they clearly say £1000. Someone just made a mistake in one of the posts saying £3000. The first winner got £1000. So did the second one.

If the T&C's said £3000 and the 2nd winner got £1000 it would probably be an ASA breach.
  • mjm3346
    Options

None whatsoever

The prize clearly stated in the T&Cs is £1,000, as far as I can see only one of the many twitter competition posts from them mentions £3,000 and even that one contains a link to the T&Cs where the correct amount is clearly stated more than once - so if the first entry drawn had been within time the prize would be still be £1,000.

I doubt the ASA would be bothered, certainly not beyond the point of telling them to be more careful in future.

I am imagining it now and what a wonderful world it would be if all comps stuck to their T&Cs as well as picking an extra winner
  • Monkey_Chinchilla
    Options
    More to the point, why did nobody post this competition on this forum? :mad::eek::rotfl:
  • Didoow
    Didoow Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

What's everyone think?

:mad:

I think TC should have checked thoroughly before announcing a winner.
    I think I may have inadvertently 'entered' some comps after the closing time.
    I think I would have been gutted if it were me.
    I too also thought it was £3k, the only tweet I saw with an amount said that.
    I think good on TC for honouring AND redrawing
    But mostly I think TC should have checked thoroughly before announcing a winner.
    I think they will do in future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport