Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It has occurred to me too that the EU compensation tariff isn't very proportional to the situation.

In a claim I'm doing, I've provisionally been offered the usual 250 euros. Now, if I'd been offered upfront, right at the time of the delay itself, the taxi fare home (since all trains for the day at Gatwick would be finished) - say, £100, then I'd have called it a day right there. This bearing in mind that it was a leisure flight much cheaper then the equivalent business flight price.

But... due to the legislation, airline of course won't freely offer everyone 250 euros. Imagine that on a £40 flight. It's got to make sense.

After Brexit, will we see changes so that the compensation is voluntary from the airline and near instant and the faff of claiming from reluctant airlines ends?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As detailed in my previous offerings my wife and I were awarded £714 (E400 x 2?) for being delayed both ways. It appears that TUI may possibly be being clever and hoping we will not carry on the claim for the return journey (another E400 x 2?). With one eye on the growing compensation culture my wife and I agreed not to pursue the claim for the return and feel that £714 is enough - and we have just used the money to have a week in Zante, with TUI. Cheers TUI
    But you could have had 2 holidays.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • JPears
    edited 6 October 2018 at 9:00AM
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    It has occurred to me too that the EU compensation tariff isn't very proportional to the situation.

In a claim I'm doing, I've provisionally been offered the usual 250 euros. Now, if I'd been offered upfront, right at the time of the delay itself, the taxi fare home (since all trains for the day at Gatwick would be finished) - say, £100, then I'd have called it a day right there. This bearing in mind that it was a leisure flight much cheaper then the equivalent business flight price.

But... due to the legislation, airline of course won't freely offer everyone 250 euros. Imagine that on a £40 flight. It's got to make sense.

After Brexit, will we see changes so that the compensation is voluntary from the airline and near instant and the faff of claiming from reluctant airlines ends?
    Alas, since the inception of the regulation (which is now UK law so won't change after Brexit) in 2005, the airlines have done little to improve their efforts to reduce inconvenience to the customer from delays, cancellations and denied boarding.
    This is the whole point or raison d'etre of the regulation.

What the airlines have excelled at is non payment of compensation for perfectly valid claims through ignoring, misinforming, delaying, or downright lying the customer.
    So I have no qualms about making a claim, as there will be at least another 75% from each flight that don't get compensation due to them, for whatever reason.

• ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ceewash wrote: »
    Ok so rang TUI. Hooray they have received this email. They said expect to hear from then in about 56days!!! Is this standard? I consider our case quite straight forward.

I take it all back :T

Received a letter from TUi saying they are refunding €400 per person and it will be with us in 28 days. Result! Was expecting much more hassle.
  • KingEglon
    KingEglon Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just got back from a TUI holiday which started out with a 22 hour flight delay because of a medical emergency which meant the plane coming in got diverted. TUI have given me a letter saying there was a delay and that I should claim from my holiday insurance. This feels like TUI trying to push me claiming directly from them. Can anyone suggest whether I am better off claiming from TUI or the insurance company? I am assuming I shouldn't claim from both.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EU261 compensation from the airline and any delay payment from travel insurance are separate things so you can in theory claim from both (I suspect travel insurance payment may be small £20/£30 depending on your policy)
    I would expect TUI to claim the medical emergency as EC.(even though it was not your flight) Maybe put your flight details into euclaim and bottonline so see if they consider your flight as valid for EU261
  • JPears
    Options
    I would consider a delay of nearly a day, following an alleged medical emergency on a previous flight NOT an EC and unacceptable.

• Shug61
    Shug61 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    KingEglon wrote: »
    I have just got back from a TUI holiday which started out with a 22 hour flight delay because of a medical emergency which meant the plane coming in got diverted. TUI have given me a letter saying there was a delay and that I should claim from my holiday insurance. This feels like TUI trying to push me claiming directly from them. Can anyone suggest whether I am better off claiming from TUI or the insurance company? I am assuming I shouldn't claim from both.

Tui gave me the same letter stating I should claim from my travel insurance on my delayed flight from Goa earlier this year. (Crew hours issues)

Seems this is their standard first attempt to avoid having to pay compensation.

Keep pushing and good luck
  • JPears
    Options
    Reported above post.

• Shug61
    Shug61 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Reported?