Alternative to friendsreunited?

Are there any RriendsReunited UK style websites anymore?

Trying to track some old schoolmates that were listed on there, but now its all gone. Where to turn?

Obviously not fans of facebook or have private profiles that cannot be searched.

Anywhere else?

Thanks
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you tried LinkedIn?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps they don't want to be found by somebody who they have not kept in touch with.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Perhaps they don't want to be found by somebody who they have not kept in touch with.

If that were the case why would they contact me on friendsreunited?

Not everyone wants to share buying a tin of beans at the supermaket with strangers you know. Only created the facebook account to see if i could trace some, and i have now deactivated it again.

I would not give facebook my real details.

Found some on LinkedIn already and some on whitepages. A few have required some stalker strategy, of kids likely to be living in the same area.

Googling their names and having just 2 years to choose from as their year of birth has narrowed some down also.

Just a couple left that had friendsreunited accounts that had no other online presence.

Same with some old work colleagues also, and that was in the IT field, no facebook accounts.

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If that were the case why would they contact me on friendsreunited?

There's nothing in your OP to suggest that they did try to contact you on friendsreunited. And if they did, why didn't you get some alternative contact details from them at the time?
  • forgotmyname
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 9:40PM
    Because life happens and people move around. Why do you think i wanted an alternative to FR?

With facebook i got tons and tons of friend requests from total strangers and often people not even living in the UK..

Adding friends for the sake of it. Not real friends, which is where FR had the edge, but like most i had not checked the site for some time and lost contact info.

• The advent of true social media rather killed websites like Friends Reunited.

I'm struggling to understand why you were "inundated" with spammy Friend requests on Facebook? Did you start a Facebook page or a Facebook profile?
  • Facebook has replaced friendsreunited, people don't necessarily friend everyone from the past, for many someone has created a group for old school, workplace etc... which people who are interested join. I've never had a problem with in wanted friend requests, perfectly manageable who you want to accept.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2016 at 2:50PM
    Facebook has replaced friendsreunited, people don't necessarily friend everyone from the past, for many someone has created a group for old school, workplace etc... which people who are interested join. I've never had a problem with in wanted friend requests, perfectly manageable who you want to accept.

The group thing in FB works, I am member of few groups, old schools etc. If set up correctly joining is "apply to group owner only" so not open to any old tom, richard or harriet

try FB, but search for your old school name or town and see what pops up

I limit my FB to friends only, and have unticked / excluded friends of friends so do not get any requests, but that could be grumpy old "Farway no mates" of course :snow_grin
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • forgotmyname
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2016 at 2:59PM
    I have created a FB account and searched out some names i remember and sent friend requests. Not many from the people in my year though.

Quite a few from 2 years below though. Some older people that went to the school a long time before me. I may end up creating a website. Nobody else seems to have done it.

Doesnt help that the school closed 12 years after i left so info is a little scarce.

Do you not get friend requests from total strangers on FB? Is it just me? I got all sorts from all over the world.

Seems like some people just want to have the longest list of friends even though they do not know you.

I thought about the friends only and public and thought just friends may block anyone who doesnt really use facebook to share. So its public and searchable outside FB..

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I

Do you not get friend requests from total strangers on FB? Is it just me? I got all sorts from all over the world.
    A couple a year. I only ever responded to one & she turned out to be a great FB friend.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure