IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

£3K in parking fines - help!

Options
Hello everyone
I am really hoping you will be able to help me. My daughter met a guy and started visiting his flat in July 2018.
A couple of weeks later she started getting letters from sometimes ZZPS, sometimes PCN Admin Centre, demanding payments, sometimes for more than one occasion in a day, sometimes dated shortly after midnight etc. These were followed by letters from QDR demanding payment.
The advice (perhaps erroneously) that we had at the time was to ignore them.

However, yesterday two things happened:
- A "Claim Form" arrived apparently from Northampton County Court, pointing us to money claim . gov with a demand for payment for the first ticket only. I'm struggling to get in to see the claim but will continue to try after I have written this
- A Formal Letter of Claim arrived from QDR detailing the remaining charges, now at more than £2.5K

I feel sick to my stomach, and as you can probably imagine, my young daughter is beside herself.. What ever can I do? Any and all help would be very gratefully received

Thank you!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome!

This is why we have a top thread: NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST.

The second post tells you EVERYTHING you need to know to do a decent defence.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ShedHeadgirl
    Options
    hello Coupon-mad
    I have read the newbies thread, but understood the instruction to be to start a new thread when you are facing action, which is where my daughter seems to be?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have read the NEWBIE post # 2, you will see that the first thing to do is the AOS (Acceptance of Service) which you (well your daughter - or you in her name) do online. This buys you more time to compile a defence. For your defence, you need to know what you are defending, for this you read the POC (particulars of claim) sent by the PPC. You then counter each and every point in the POC with your defence points. For example: -
    POC - you didn't buy a ticket
    Defence - I (my daughter) did buy a ticket and here is a copy.

What is the date of issue of the Claim Form?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Yes, and here you are - and now we want to see your draft defence!

That's what the NEWBIES thread tells you, and you can do this easily by using bargepole's concise defence about residential car parks, as a basis (the one mentioning the secure key fob, which may or may not exactly match her case but will be close).

Also tell us the date of issue of the claim (top right of claim form) and type out the 'Particulars of Claim' (left hand, half way down) but not showing us the car VRN!

As she also has a LBC from QDR she needs to send a SAR to the parking firm (see NEWVBEIS thread about emailing a SAR to the right person) who are neither ZZPS, nor PCN Admin Centre.

Who are the PPC, and what are the dates & POC as requested above?

Does she still go there and can she get photos of the signage asap?
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is the parking company ???

For how many tickets are they claiming for ??

What about the signs where she parked, have you checked those out yet ???
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does the lease of the guy the driver was visiting say, or indeed not say about parking?

His lease/AST will have primacy of contract over anything a third party scammer says.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • ShedHeadgirl
    Options
    Ok, so as I understand it, my daughter should contact one of the companies, with the following letter:

Re PCN number:

I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a formal complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner and to my MP.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. Since your PCN is a vague template, I require ALL photos taken and an explanation of the allegation and your evidence, i.e.:

- If the allegation concerns a PDT machine, the data supplied in response to this appeal must include the record of payments made - showing partial VRNs - and an explanation of the reason for the PCN, because your Notice does not explain it.

- If the allegation involves an alleged overstay of minutes, your evidence must include the actual grace period agreed by the landowner. If you fail to evidence the actual grace period that applies at this site or suggest that only one period applies, this will be disregarded as an attempt to mislead. In the absence of evidence, it will be reasonably taken to be a minimum of twenty minutes (ten on arrival and ten after parking time) in accordance with the official BPA article by Kelvin Reynolds about 'observation periods' on arrival being additional and separate to a 'grace period' at the end.

- in all cases, you must include a close up actual photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date.

Formal note:
    Should you later pursue this charge by way of litigation, note that service of any legal documents by email is expressly disallowed and you are not entitled to assume that the data in this dispute/appeal remains the current address for service in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Her name and postal address as the keeper.

Green Parking appears to be the base company in all cases, so should we write to them, or to the company which first wrote? She didnt pay at all, so should I delete the point about overstaying and including machine payments?

I've managed to get into money claim; should we take the 28 day option to start with?
  • ShedHeadgirl
    Options
    Sorry, some fab replies have come in while I was typing.
    I will go and photograph the relevant car park in the next hour.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    No.

This is not at appeal stage, why are you even reading the the first post? I said:
    This is why we have a top thread: NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST.

The second post tells you EVERYTHING you need to know to do a decent defence.
    I've managed to get into money claim; should we take the 28 day option to start with?
    Yes and the NEWBIES thread second post shows how to do that, in step by step pictures.
  • ShedHeadgirl
    Options
    To answer some of the questions immediately, there are a total of 16 occasions, and in each one it says Parking Event: Unauthorised parking

She didnt buy a ticket (I'll know when I go if this is even an option as it is flats)

As I understand it, residents are invited to purchase a parking permit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport